Help with some modding noob questions

You can never have too many ideas!

And thanks. One of the things I try to challenge myself to do to make me learn is to make all of my parts out of one primitive object. I don't always succeed but most times I do. The paddlewheel started life as just a cylinder. By extruding and bridging I was able to keep it one part. Makes me think outside the box when it comes to making models.

Wow! That was just one part? I've got to start doing more with wings 3d. Thanks for all the help!

Wow! That was just one part? I've got to start doing more with wings 3d. Thanks for all the help!

My pleasure. I typically check in at least once a day. If you have any specific Wings questions, just PM me.

Exactly, the zeroing out the coordinates is what you should do always.

Another recomendation, but more subjective, is to use at least Blender. Sure, it will be difficult to start, but man, workflow is blazing fast, not to mention all the features it has. But the best part is the community. Being free, it means that there will be a tutorial for almost everything you can think about, and that gives it an edge over other software. But if you want to change, this is the moment. Later on it will be almost impossible, so think about that. That being said, if you follow my advice, or if you just want to try it out, hit me here on the forums and I will guide you.

Exactly, the zeroing out the coordinates is what you should do always.

Another recomendation, but more subjective, [...]

Yes, I have tried blender before, but I've not been happy with how complex it is, and I'm kind of a "armchair modder," if I get more serious, I may try a more powerful CAD program.

Thanks for the offer of help!

- - - Updated - - -

How does this new engine look?

aSSNeI6.png

Ignore everything except the nozzle, my UZ unwrapping job was TERRIBLE.

Yes, I have tried blender before, but I've not been happy with how complex it is, and I'm kind of a "armchair modder," if I get more serious, I may try a more powerful CAD program.

Thanks for the offer of help!

- - - Updated - - -

How does this new engine look?

http://i.imgur.com/aSSNeI6.png

Ignore everything except the nozzle, my UZ unwrapping job was TERRIBLE.

That looks a whole lot better. I'm glad you got rid of the "Big Block" engine.

That looks a whole lot better. I'm glad you got rid of the "Big Block" engine.

Yeah, I'm removing that torus too, it wasn't texturing nicely.

- - - Updated - - -

I need some help with UV mapping:

This is my improved model:

uNEJUYh.png

Then I hit "UV mapping" and it gives me this, with all the modifications I made before in this window, rather than the window which lets me select colors, and then lets me rearrange the parts in the autoUV window:

fDkc22s.png

Any ideas? Thanks a lot!

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry mad, I did miss it. If you want to completely remap a UV with wings, you need to right click on the menu instead of left clicking. Left click brings up the current UV map. Right click tells it to create an entirely new one.

And yea, it threw me for a loop for a bit till I accidentally right clicked once by accident and had an epiphany.

Sorry mad, I did miss it. If you want to completely remap a UV with wings, you need to right click on the menu instead of left clicking. Left click brings up the current UV map. Right click tells it to create an entirely new one.

And yea, it threw me for a loop for a bit till I accidentally right clicked once by accident and had an epiphany.

Ah ha! Thank you, but don't worry about missing it, I've been taking a break from modding.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.