About Dres and it's Dres-teroids

WhoLikesCakes

Long time since I've last posted, full release already!

Anyway, I've been wandering around Dres in career mode and such because nobody seems to go to Dres anymore. After a time I noticed mention of Dres-teroids. After doing a bit of reading on the wiki, apparently these dres-teroids are in orbit around dres in a ring system. As such I have to wonder if this means Dres will get a faint ring system in the future? Maybe make it more interesting to go to so one can see the rings of this out of the way dwarf world? :) What do you guys think?

It is possible for a dwarf planet or an asteroid to have "rings" - crude, uneven, faint ones. Remnants of the crap actual central objects has evolved from.

But to have rings like Saturn, that's absolutely impossible, as such rings are made possible by enormous tidal forces huge planets excert on any larger body that comes close.

It is possible for a dwarf planet or an asteroid to have "rings" - crude, uneven, faint ones. Remnants of the crap actual central objects has evolved from.

But to have rings like Saturn, that's absolutely impossible, as such rings are made possible by enormous tidal forces huge planets excert on any larger body that comes close.

you mean smaller, right ?

The Dres asteroids are in a ring around the planet. The longer you keep a ship there, the more of them appear. It would be cool I if the ring was visible to the naked eye, but it's not. It is a great place for orbital refuelling though.

I went there a couple of times in previous versions--once with a crew lander for the sake of completionism, and once with two uncrewed rovers (with jump jets) so I could drive around in the big canyon and try some Evel Kernievel style stunts off the cliffs. Haven't been back since then but I would like to check out the dresteroids sometime.

I sent a Infrared Telescope out to scan Dres and it's neighborhood and in a very short time I located no less that 22 different Dres-orbiting objects, all in the same plane in roughly circular orbits ranging from 18,000 to 20,000 km.

mRZch2U.jpg

I sent a Infrared Telescope out to scan Dres and it's neighborhood and in a very short time I located no less that 22 different Dres-orbiting objects, all in the same plane in roughly circular orbits ranging from 18,000 to 20,000 km.

http://i.imgur.com/mRZch2U.jpg

Infrared telescope? A mod? Which?

As I was coming into orbit around Dres (SCANsat probe), they started popping into view (map view). Now that my probe has been there a while, more of them are apparent. I've not decided if I want to start tracking them yet. Maybe when my probe is done with scans, if I've fuel enough (should be), I'll go check one of them out.

LordFerret said:
Infrared telescope? A mod? Which?

As I was coming into orbit around Dres (SCANsat probe), they started popping into view (map view). Now that my probe has been there a while, more of them are apparent. I've not decided if I want to start tracking them yet. Maybe when my probe is done with scans, if I've fuel enough (should be), I'll go check one of them out.

I'm assuming he's talking about the Asteroid Day telescope, from the "2nd Official SQUAD mod for KSP".

Cursed: http://www.curse.com/ksp-mods/kerbal/232196-asteroid-day

Edited by Snark
Link to defunct website removed by moderator

Ignath said:
I'm assuming he's talking about the Asteroid Day telescope, from the "2nd Official SQUAD mod for KSP".

Cursed: http://www.curse.com/ksp-mods/kerbal/232196-asteroid-day

Oh yea. I forgot about that. I was thinking Hullcam VDS (which has two telescopes, but not specifically IR), which I already have. Thanks!

• 2 years later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.