Discussion thread - BD Armory AI tournaments

What features would you like in a AI dogfighting tournament?  

423 members have voted

1. 1. What features would you like in a AI dogfighting tournament?

• Stock + BD Armory only
    • Other mods too (please state preferences)
    • 2 v 2 format as mentioned in OP
    • Another format (please state details)
    • Stock aerodynamic model
    • FAR aerodynamic model
    • Open entry class
    • Different classes of planes
    • Open weapon loadouts
    • Restricted weapon loadouts

That was... extremely painful. However, I demand a rematch! New planes, no-holds-barred, no restrictions 1v1 fight to the death! I'm already building a floating fortress with huge cannons and armor.

E:

Never mind, my idea didn't work.

Edited by Mad Rocket Scientist

Cool, im doing some dogfighting between my subats and sea rats and now cant decide which to choose due to their results:huh:

Same. My Blizzard B's and Blizzard.zips actually have about equal results. Despite the fact that he .zip is so much lighter, it seems to be less maneuverable.

I'm trying to make it more maneuverable but it's so small, I can't really add anything.

Same. My Blizzard B's and Blizzard.zips actually have about equal results. Despite the fact that he .zip is so much lighter, it seems to be less maneuverable.

I'm trying to make it more maneuverable but it's so small, I can't really add anything.

Yeah a big problem im running into is that when the AI are in full control they really don't like missiles and firing them, so the advantage goes to sea bat with its small cross section. any advice for that (still new to the ai)

Yeah a big problem im running into is that when the AI are in full control they really don't like missiles and firing them, so the advantage goes to sea bat with its small cross section. any advice for that (still new to the ai)

You might be setting them up too close. In all the tournaments, usually the fights starts with the AI firing all the missiles, and then fighting with guns.

what would you recommend as a starting range?

Watch some of the tournament videos.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=%23topgunai

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah so I think I've basically hit a maneuverability hard cap. My Blizzard.zip and my Blizzard B both have the EXACT same turn rates, and I can't make either of them any better, without making them inherently unstable.

I still can't chose. The Blizzard B is heavier, but slightly more stable, and more durable.

The .zip is zippier, faster, lighter, etc. but less stable and less durable.

I have no idea if this is implemented in current KSP aerodynamics, but looking at your Blizzard.zip it's lack of maneuverability frankly comes from size reduction. Compacting your plane came at cost of losing alot of your original wing area and thus, you've also lost alot of lift. The fuselage, on the other hand is now pretty big in comparsion to the wings, and thus, you get a high wing loading which handicaps your maneuverability. Making the wings larger should do the job well.

Yes they are :D
I have no idea if this is implemented in current KSP aerodynamics, but looking at your Blizzard.zip it's lack of maneuverability frankly comes from size reduction. Compacting your plane came at cost of losing alot of your original wing area and thus, you've also lost alot of lift. The fuselage, on the other hand is now pretty big in comparsion to the wings, and thus, you get a high wing loading which handicaps your maneuverability. Making the wings larger should do the job well.

The wings are actually pretty big. They're just offset far into the middile, and swept far back. Which only makes a difference in how the planes look, due to the stock aero

Never said it didn't. I was just impressed, because I thought you made a 2 engine fighter that was only 7.9 tons

You got me curious about what a <10 ton 2 engine fighter would be like, so I gave it a try and ended up with this:

v5EKVk6.png

Tested it a little, and its quite the capable little air-superiority fighter. Used to be 7.8 tons before I took the Whiplash engines off - they provided wasted thrust in exchange for a powered flight time measured in seconds

You got me curious about what a <10 ton 2 engine fighter would be like, so I gave it a try and ended up with this:

http://i.imgur.com/v5EKVk6.png

Tested it a little, and its quite the capable little air-superiority fighter. Used to be 7.8 tons before I took the Whiplash engines off - they provided wasted thrust in exchange for a powered flight time measured in seconds

That's pretty funny.

My Blizzard II is about the lightest I could get while still having the extreme maneuverability of my first Blizzard, along with still having the turbojets.

Amazingly, it has the same fuel capacity of my first Blizzard.

F-25 Peregrine

2 AMRAAMs

4 AIM 9s

2 Hidden Vulcans

1 Ammo Box

2 Countermeasures Pods

Top Speed: 1250 m/s due to drag (loaded)

2x JX-4 Whiplash Turboramjet Engines

Mass:13,894 kg

3.8 m Tall

10.1 meters Wide

7.9 m Long

Parts:62

xtHFsfMh.jpg

I am quite happy that I got a loaded fighter to be this fast. Faster than an SR71 without overheating, yay. But, I am entering that into the tournament. Anyone have any ideas on how good it will be? It can keep an aeris 3a off of its tail in a turning fight, weighs almost 14 tons, and, well, the spec sheet describes the rest. Is it any good for the tournament?

Edited by Alphasus

http://i.imgur.com/xtHFsfMh.jpg

I am quite happy that I got a loaded fighter to be this fast. Faster than an SR71 without overheating, yay. But, I am entering that into the tournament. Anyone have any ideas on how good it will be? It can keep an aeris 3a off of its tail in a turning fight, weighs almost 14 tons, and, well, the spec sheet describes the rest. Is it any good for the tournament?

F-25 Peregrine

2 AMRAAMs

4 AIM 9s

2 Hidden Vulcans

1 Ammo Box

2 Countermeasures Pods

Top Speed: 1250 m/s due to drag (loaded)

2x JX-4 Whiplash Turboramjet Engines

Mass:13,894 kg

3.8 m Tall

10.1 meters Wide

7.9 m Long

Parts:62

I'll be honest, in past tournaments, the plane to make it to minimum altitude first usually one. And being a hefty 14 tons, it might lack a little there. However if it's noticeably better on other aspects, it could do fine.

The big thing that worries me in these tournaments is the fact of how big the subat is compared to all the other contestants. I mean the dimensions are a 14.9m width with a 13m length, though I know the subat can fly decently without a tail or with out the outside delta wings, so it does have decent survivability, but I am still nervous on size

The big thing that worries me in these tournaments is the fact of how big the subat is compared to all the other contestants. I mean the dimensions are a 14.9m width with a 13m length, though I know the subat can fly decently without a tail or with out the outside delta wings, so it does have decent survivability, but I am still nervous on size

If you need to just use the offset tool and push the wings in.

I honestly want to create a 5th generation fighter challenge that doesn't need FAR where all fighters are compared in range, payload, speed, and other traits. But, the challenge already exists in name. Any suggestions?

Mql07gJ.png

Sorry for not posting this thing with my XMF-1B, but It's been getting late while i posted it and just didn't have enough time to post the .craft on KerbalX. Nonetheless, here it is. My 5th gen fighter demonstrator based off ADFX-01 airframe from Ace Combat Zero. It is very maneuverable and remarkably stable when compared to the XMF. It will probably be my weapon of choice in the upcoming 2nd tournament. I just wish i could add in the TLS weapon on the back. I'll have to discuss this matter with event organisers i guess. Anyway, this prototype version is free to download and evaluate as a demonstrator.

ADFX-01 Morgan [PROTOTYPE] specifications

Length: 15.1m

Width: 10.8m

Height: 3.8m w/gear deployed / 3.1m w/gear retracted

Type: Air Superiority/Multirole

Mass: 10.1 tonnes (dry) / 14.5 tonnes (full fuel load)

Fuel units: 800

Powerplant: 2x J-X4 Whiplash Turbo Ramjet Engines

Max speed: 350m/s ASL / 800m/s at 5500m

Armament: None (In combat version planned to include 20mm Vulcans, AIM-9 missiles and "Zoisite" laser system.)

Takeoff speed: ~40m/s

Have fun flying anyone who decides to try this craft. Will post the armed version after the next event is announced.

.craft file:

http://kerbalx.com/EvenFlow/ADFX-01.craft

Moved! c:

I honestly want to create a 5th generation fighter challenge that doesn't need FAR where all fighters are compared in range, payload, speed, and other traits. But, the challenge already exists in name. Any suggestions?

Sorry for not posting this thing with my XMF-1B, but It's been getting late while i posted it and just didn't have enough time to post the .craft on KerbalX. Nonetheless, here it is. My 5th gen fighter demonstrator based off ADFX-01 airframe from Ace Combat Zero. It is very maneuverable and remarkably stable when compared to the XMF. It will probably be my weapon of choice in the upcoming 2nd tournament. I just wish i could add in the TLS weapon on the back. I'll have to discuss this matter with event organisers i guess. Anyway, this prototype version is free to download and evaluate as a demonstrator.

ADFX-01 Morgan [PROTOTYPE] specifications

Length: 15.1m

Width: 10.8m

Height: 3.8m w/gear deployed / 3.1m w/gear retracted

Type: Air Superiority/Multirole

Mass: 10.1 tonnes (dry) / 14.5 tonnes (full fuel load)

Fuel units: 800

Powerplant: 2x J-X4 Whiplash Turbo Ramjet Engines

Max speed: 350m/s ASL / 800m/s at 5500m

Armament: None (In combat version planned to include 20mm Vulcans, AIM-9 missiles and "Zoisite" laser system.)

Takeoff speed: ~40m/s

Have fun flying anyone who decides to try this craft. Will post the armed version after the next event is announced.

.craft file:

http://kerbalx.com/EvenFlow/ADFX-01.craft

Moved! c:

The laser you want to add is on a turret, right? That's the problem. We don't want turreted weapons in the challenge.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.