A Small Improvement to the Contract System

I don't know if anyone has brought this up before, but I think a small "fix" could help the contract system. I'd like to see all the "Explore Body" contracts and the "Fly by X", "Orbit X", "Land on X", and "Return from X" contracts be automatic, like the "Gain X altitude" or "Gain X speed" contracts are now.

I hate missing out on these because either they won't spawn, or because I decide to do something too early or out of the order KSP thinks I should do them in. This would also free up slots in both the offered and accepted contracts for other things.

I think there are other things that could be done to improve contracts as well, but this strikes me as a relatively simple one. Though, being a programmer myself, I know what seems simple could be anything but. What do you guys think?

When Kerbin World-Firsts Record-Keeping Society started paying off during a mission, the career game play improved vastly.

This should be implemented as well.

Edit:

The current system allows for a start up cost. Then after completion a larger payout.

Somehow the startup cost will need to be considered.

Edit2

The Startup Pool can be used. This pool of funds can also be turned into a bonus. After completing the WFRKS contract the pool is multiplied by contract difficulty and added to the pool. So a low mission cost receives a large bonus.

Edited by MoeslyArmlis

I'll reiterate:

• Organize contracts per-celestial.
  • Massively increase the number of available contracts to like 15 per celestial.
  • Allow the user to block contract types, perhaps even on a per-celestial basis.

If that is done then your suggestion could be integrated into "automatic" contracts per celestial. That is, they show up under the celestial's contracts from the start of your career and are automatically accepted since they have no deadline. Otherwise I think your idea has merit.

The current system allows for a start up cost. Then after completion a larger payout.

Somehow the startup cost will need to be considered.

I fully support this - major pain for me as well - but the start-up offering really does need to be considered. When you're considering going interplanetary for the first time, a million bucks makes a huge difference! That can move you to feasible from "oh OK I'll just make like 40 satellites"

I'll reiterate:

• Organize contracts per-celestial.
  • Massively increase the number of available contracts to like 15 per celestial.
  • Allow the user to block contract types, perhaps even on a per-celestial basis.

If that is done then your suggestion could be integrated into "automatic" contracts per celestial. That is, they show up under the celestial's contracts from the start of your career and are automatically accepted since they have no deadline. Otherwise I think your idea has merit.

I agree with this.

I also agree with OP. The first fly-by, first orbit, first sample return, etc. should be be always kept as active until done, and the "scan here, scan there, set up an outpost and stuff" should be optional.

There was a interesting discussion on something like this a while ago, which may be of interest here:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/120974-Missions-or-Milestones-Let%E2%80%99s-Expand-On-The-1-0-Contract-System?highlight=milestones

The 'explore' contracts as they are make more sense to work like the other record ones, because they don't require you to do much real exploring.It's more like visit, or scout out, or even just land.

Plus, like you said, they can be missed. It makes more sense this way.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.