Orbit through an arch

I think the first thing that came into all of our minds when we first saw a Mun arch is, 'I wonder if I can get my orbit to pass through that?'

That\'s the challenge! To really pass, your periapsis should be above the surface for at least one full orbit before passing through the arch. That is, you can\'t take off a kilometer from the arch, accelerate horizontally toward the arch to orbital velocity and pass through immediately. That wouldn\'t really be orbiting through it. However, you can make corrections to your orbit as often and as late as you want.

Post a shot of your ship passing through the arch, and also a map view shot of your orbit.

Here\'s my entry, passing through the one arch whose location I know

I did some surveying of the target arch and then wrote a bit of code to tell me how far my periapsis was from the center of the arch. Then I used the readout to guide my manual course corrections.

1/3 of an orbit to go...

p5nxT.png

Target in sight...

5itu9.png

VICTORY!

qRHVg.png

This thread should be removed. I hadn\'t seen the arch before and this is basically spoilers that remove the fun from the game.

If you want it not to be removed (altough it should) place BIG SPOILER SPOILER DO NOT READ EVEN THE TITLE IF YOU DONT WANT SPOILER

This thread should be removed. I hadn\'t seen the arch before and this is basically spoilers that remove the fun from the game.
It should not.

There are several threads with pics of those arches posted, and I won\'t be surprised if one of them had also their exact coordinates. Moreover, an arch is well visible from >20 Km orbit.

BTW IMO the challenge\'s (a) valid, and (B) is quite hard ;)

It should not.

There are several threads with pics of those arches posted, and I won\'t be surprised if one of them had also their exact coordinates. Moreover, an arch is well visible from >20 Km orbit.

BTW IMO the challenge\'s (a) valid, and (B) is quite hard ;)

and c) should be at least given spoiler tags until i

even though I had seen pictures of minmus I hadn\'t seen the whole thing.

However this was a feature of the mun unknown to me and is part of 'exploring'.

So it should at least have a warning.

I did some surveying of the target arch and then wrote a bit of code to tell me how far my periapsis was from the center of the arch. Then I used the readout to guide my manual course corrections.

Release the Arch Computer.

and c) should be at least given spoiler tags until i

even though I had seen pictures of minmus I hadn\'t seen the whole thing.

However this was a feature of the mun unknown to me and is part of 'exploring'.

So it should at least have a warning.

The title is \'Orbit through an arch\'.

How couldn\'t it have been a spoiler?

If you want it not to be removed (altough it should) place BIG SPOILER SPOILER DO NOT READ EVEN THE TITLE IF YOU DONT WANT SPOILER

This is a joke, right?

Are you aware of how toolish you sound? To suggest that the Mun arches are a \'spoiler\'? It\'s bad enough that people talk like the second KSC is the equivalent of Snape kills Dumbledore.

Maybe whenever a new part is released we shouldn\'t talk about it because SPOILUZRRZZZZ THERAZ SPAES PLAENUZ IN VERSCHUN 0.15!!!111oneELEVEN1111!!

Hey here\'s a thought, if a tiny bit of geometry totally ruins the game for you, stop reading the forums and go do your exploring. I for one don\'t give a shit, it\'s your problem if you consider something a spoiler and nobody else\'s.

This is like intentionally going to Hooters specifically to complain about how women in hotpants with cleavage showing offends you.

I don\'t even know what to say. I now feel like a complete retard. And I\'m serious.

Anyways, there should still be a [!Mun Spoiler!] tag (or [!Minmus Spoiler!]) so that people know what they get into when they enter a thread.

Now, here\'s the thing: when you see the title you don\'t immediately go 'Oh, so there are arches on the mun' you go 'WHAT? ARCHES? WHAT ARCHES?'.

If it stated it\'s something on the mun I would be developing more things to orbit the mun.

Now that I\'ve stated how dumb I feel and that I stated something (hopefully) more mature, that arch looks like the one from Star Trek: TOS (don\'t remember the exact episode)

Wow Frosiken, you could have worded that better, also, things like the 2nd KSC have been around for a while now as have the Monoliths, but they are still new to some people, and as always xkcd said it best.

StelarCF, you really shouldn\'t let this get to you for the same reasons in the comic, it\'s enough to ruin a persons perception of a game when faced with the occasional poor reaction from another player.

But on the subject of the Arches, they are new yes, but they are also very large and hard to miss even from a 20km+ orbit, they aren\'t as hidden as the 2nd KSC.

The trees now, those things can really freak a guy out.

Edit:

Star Trek series 1 episode 28, The City on the Edge of Forever

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.