What's your Eve ascent craft like?

Earlier today I made a craft that has 6500m/s of dv which is capable of Eve orbit if it's landed at a high plateau. It's very...Kerbal...it has detachable upside down fins at the top to make sure it's always facing heatshield-first as it's slowing down in the atmosphere and they decouple so I can go up again without the CoL messing me up.

It also uses plain ol steel girders as legs as no landing legs are big enough to point past the engines, and if I attach them to the steel beams then they start to flex and it makes the craft slide down a hill (which is where I normally land).

I haven't actually used it yet (the flexing landing legs issue happened with another design) but in theory it should work. I would post an image but I'm on my phone.

What does your Eve ascent craft look like? How crazy is it?

This was the lightest one I managed to make that could take off from sea level. It has a mass of about 60 tonnes at lift off. The landing landing gear are great because they have a very high impact tolerance.

EAV3.png

^ What are those engines being used in the small top-right panel in the middle section of the image? They're being decoupled in the image below it.

EDIT: They're Sparks attached to the tiny fuel tanks, I just noticed that. :D That's a cool idea, I might use it.

Spark engines are the most underestimated units in the game i think... they are light, have a reasonable ISP and pack a pretty punch for their size. In most cases it is worth a try to exchange used Terrier engines in a design for Sparks, just to compare. It pays off pretty often.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.