Best Way to Play Without Lag

alanbr00

I tried the welding mod before v1. but had no success.

On the launchpad performance is terrible. Usualy, once i've dropped most of the launcher its running much better. All those struts, chutes, srbs, detachrs etc are usually the bulk of the part count.

My worst case scenario was when i built a mining base on minmus, ended up with about 5 ships all with about 100 - 200 parts each right next to each other. Luckily the game updated and I could start again.

Now my main focus is reducing the part count of the payload - whatever the finished product is, should be (universally) minimal. I'm planning a second run, to test for Duna hopefully will end up with many less parts on the surface mining station.

Really hoping KSP will soon perform much better and I will always sacrifice somewhat for nice graphics :D

best tip: don't build a rocket with 500 parts.

seriously, IDK why anyone would need to breach 200 parts on a rocket.

I agree with you; what I've done is left my VAB at level 2 in my career game and not upgraded it any further - that way I have a hard limit on parts of 255 (including launcher). A level 2 VAB will not support a craft with more parts than that, and I've been able to build ships like this:

All KSP images have been moved here.

JR

Edited by Jolly_Roger

I agree with you; what I've done is left my VAB at level 2 in my career game and not upgraded it any further - that way I have a hard limit on parts of 255 (including launcher). A level 2 VAB will not support a craft with more parts than that, and I've been able to build ships like this:

http://i.imgur.com/v51YPk6.png

JR

Oooh, hard-limit is a good idea, and it's cheaper NOT to upgrade your VAB.

and nice build! I like the VTOL design.

If you don't mind not playing real time, you can turn down the max physics delta-time to 0.01 or less. The graphics won't lag at all, even with several hundred-part monstrosities, but the game will not be 100 % real time. To turn it up higher than what the in-game settings allow, edit the settings.cfg file in your game install.

This sounds interesting and I'm keen on trying it.

Can anyone tell me what it is that's not 100% real time?

Is control-input a little laggy this way?

Oooh, hard-limit is a good idea, and it's cheaper NOT to upgrade your VAB.

and nice build! I like the VTOL design.

Yeah, I design all my spacecraft to work sort of like space-planes, only on other planets - airless moons mostly. The best way to refuel a ship like that (IMHO) is to land the whole thing on a moon or small body and use the built-in ISRU, and to do that you need HTOL capabilities. I've got KandoKris testing this design out for me while I work on other things...

All KSP images have been moved here.

JR

Edited by Jolly_Roger

You could for starters use the correct term, stutter

Lag is when your connection to some server is bad.

You could use the correct term for starters. The word you were looking for is latency.

Lag is a general term that AFAIK doesn't have a technical definition.

One suggestion I didnt see yet is to download the Kerbal Joint Reinforcement (KJR) mod. In some of my KSP monstrosities that i've built the part count is high in large part due to having an unreasonable amount of struts. KJR, as the name suggests, reinforces joints and makes it so you need far fewer struts (often no struts at all), decreasing part count significantly.

Also, someone mentioned welding and linked UbioZur's welding mod. The mod page says its not compitable with anything after 0.90 (Tho it says its apparently being worked on - hopefully). Are there any welding mods that are compatible with the most recent versions of KSP?

Get a time machine. Fast Forward some ten years to the future. Buy a brand new computer, return to the present, hope that machine can run the current Windows 10 and run KSP there.

I did what you say with FSX and it did not work. I travelled in time to 2015 and I can tell you even 9 years in the future FSX is still lagging, no matter what (it is very much playable, though). That is rather interesting and says a lot about bottlenecks and home made 3D engines by teams who are just not good enough for that.

This sounds interesting and I'm keen on trying it.

Can anyone tell me what it is that's not 100% real time?

Is control-input a little laggy this way?

Turning down max-physics per delta-time (whatever that means :P) was the one setting that I think improved performance the best. I haven't noticed too much difference, but what he's talking about is that "one second" of in-game time can end up passing with 1.5 seconds of real time, and so on.

Procedural Parts, mainly tanks, do wonders for greatly reducing part count. Instead of stacking several tanks, you just make one, in whatever shape or size you want. I now have monsterous rockets with much less parts. I even removed all other tanks from my GameData folder since I don't need them anymore. Makes the game load faster, and now my tanks part window is only one page :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.