so i got a boat...

Kozak

...and a waverunner.

My dad bought them obviously as i dont think many here have 15k to spare...

will post specs and pics of each in morning. Too tired to life

Welcome to the wonderful world of boats! I've been boating for practically all my life, here are some tips:

There's a little something called a plug on the bottom of the transom (Back part). Be sure to screw it in when you put in and unscrew it when you pull out. Trust me on this one, we almost sunk our boat by not putting it in, and the transom eventually rotted off the back and we had to get a new one put on because the plug wasn't pulled and the water let out every time.

Get a life jacket that fits for everybody who'll be on board, a throwable PFD, some flares (reqd. on Great Lakes, but good to have everywhere. Lets people locate you easy and know you need help and you need it now.), a loud whistle (required in most, if not all places; any one will do, I recommend the Acme Whistle Model 636 or the Fox 40) and (THIS IS IMPORTANT) a good, long paddle, about 3-5 foot long at least. The paddle has saved me countless times, and you can push off the bank/dock with it.

Keep some tools (stndrd. and Phillips head Screwdrivers, pair of dikes/Diagonal Cutters, pair of vise grips, pair of pliers is what I'd recommend at the least) in a box on board, they'll come in handy. Keep a good, sharp knife on board, too, and keep it away from kids and stupid people. If you carry a pocketknife (like I do) or leatherman you can omit the knife. Learn how to fix your motor, no matter how good you think it is WILL fail on you when you're on the water. The paddle also comes in handy if the motor decides to flip you the bird.

Expect to get wet every time you go out. Learn how to swim if you don't know how. An easy way to learn how to swim is to get somebody to toss you in the water, that's how I learned.

If it doesn't have a ladder on the back, be prepared for some pain when getting back in.

Tie the rope on the boat before you try to launch (It happens, and it sucks when it happens). Launch with at least 2 people.

Whatever you do, be sure to follow the rules, regs, signs, and buoys in whatever water you're in. The coast guard or whoever patrols the water will, from quite a long distance away even, write down your boat's registration number with a pen and a pair of binoculars and send you a fine in the mail. They might even pull to the side of your boat to talk with you and even ask to board your boat, it just depends. Don't drink while boating, that's how people crash and get hurt. And please keep your boat registered (All you gotta do is pay the fee and put a sticker you get in the mail on it like you put a sticker on your license plate), it'll save you a lot of money and trouble down the road.

If you're young, check your state's laws on age and operating boats. You might need to get a Boating Safety Certification, which I had to take an 8 hour class and pass a 35-question test to get. It cost me very little, I think it might've been free now that I think about it. Don't worry, the test is dead simple if you pay attention. Check your state's Boating Comission/Authority/Department website to find out about the laws and Boating courses. Boats might be covered under your state's DMV if it doesn't have an official, separate organization for boats. For the Boating courses you can also look up your nearest Coast Guard Auxiliary, they offer classes. Either way, I recommend the classes for everybody, I learned a bunch of stuff I never learned in many, many years of boating.

Don't get cavalier and do dangerous or stupid stuff to impress people or have fun. That's how you get hurt and a fine and/or a hospital bill in the mail.

Boats are always referred to as "she" and "her". That's because you should treat them like you would a fine, young lady. It's also considered bad luck not to.

If you're planning on going to the Great Lakes, check the NOAA wave height forecast for the lake you're going to (Click on the lake to to be taken to it's forecast, use the bottom grid of dates & times to check forecast for each of the things on the left). If you're in a smallish boat (>10, <25), don't go when the waves are over 5-10 feet, you'll be tossed around and when you're boating fast on the water your back and body won't thank you for the absolutely jarring ride.

CHECK THE WEATHER BEFORE GOING OUT. PREPARE FOR CONDITIONS. HEAD FOR HOME IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT WILL OR STARTS RAINING.

Safety is NUMBER ONE.

FINALLY, THE MOST IMPORTANT: Have fun with it! The water's one of my favorite places to be.

Edited by Flymetothemun

Very good advice! ^

I'll throw one more thing: Your boat; When you're out with family and friends aboard, be it you or your dad (whichever one), there is but one 'Captain'. The Captain is ultimately responsible for all crew and passengers. The Captain's word is the word and final. Be it reminding folks to keep their life-preservers on, or stay seated, or no horseplay, etc etc anything safety related ... your crew and passengers need to know and respect that authority before they even step aboard, and if they can't follow that - then leave them home.

Having broken pretty much every rule posted above at some point or other, I can confidently say: Excellent advice, take heed.

I'll add a couple though.

Beware fuel in a boat. Be extremely careful when refueling and have a fire extinguisher on board, a fire on a boat is no joke.

Have emergency methods both for keeping the water out, and for removing it if it gets in. A small tarpaulin and some rope can save your arse if you get holed. One or more manual bailing devices are a must, even if you have a bilge pump.

To quote the Boating Bible: "The best bilge pump ever invented is two frightened sailors with a bucket."

A bucket and a length of rope will also make a serviceable sea-anchor, should you find yourself without power and drifting into trouble.

It's been said, but I'll say it again: Always have alternative means of propulsion. A paddle will suffice if you're not too far from shore, two is better.

Also, and something that annoys me on a regular basis: Please read up on the international rules of the sea - there's nothing more annoying than pleasure boaties who think that the give-way rules etc. for the road apply on the water. They do not.

Much fun can be had 'mucking about in boats', stay safe and enjoy.

Very good advice! ^

I'll throw one more thing: Your boat; When you're out with family and friends aboard, be it you or your dad (whichever one), there is but one 'Captain'. The Captain is ultimately responsible for all crew and passengers. The Captain's word is the word and final. Be it reminding folks to keep their life-preservers on, or stay seated, or no horseplay, etc etc anything safety related ... your crew and passengers need to know and respect that authority before they even step aboard, and if they can't follow that - then leave them home.

On the subject of that, during the class they taught us to have a safety talk with any passengers who might be unfamiliar with boating before you even start the engine. Let them know where the extinguisher, life vests, Throw PFD, Flares and any other safety-related items are and how/when to use them. Also let them know what they can and cannot do while underway. Something I like to do is tell them that if they don't follow the rules they can sit back at the dock.

Also, something I forgot about the flares: CHECK THE EXPIRATION DATE. Yes, they do expire. Get new ones when they do, they aren't considered good for Great Lakes and thy might not work if they're expired. It's easy to check, it's printed right on the flare.

Another thing about extinguishers: Make sure to shake your extinguisher every once in a while. Most of the time it'll be a dry fire extinguisher, meaning that there's a bunch of powder in the extinguisher that gets shot out when you use it, and motor vibrations and impacts with waves can cause that powder to compact and make the extinguisher useless. Shake it up for a minute or few every once in a while, or better yet, every time you go out. And aim the extinguisher at the base of the fire, not at the flames. This is true of all extinguishers, but is especially true when your life depends on it.

Edited by Flymetothemun

Humm... another essential forgotten... should your vessel capsize, ALWAYS STAY WITH THE BOAT. Should the boat actually sink, stick together in a group an utilize any floating debris... there's safety in numbers, plus you're easier to spot by Search & Rescue crews.

Humm... another essential forgotten... should your vessel capsize, ALWAYS STAY WITH THE BOAT. Should the boat actually sink, stick together in a group an utilize any floating debris... there's safety in numbers, plus you're easier to spot by Search & Rescue crews.

The same goes for any other vehicle that is not close to civilisation. Unless the boat/car/aircraft/whatever poses an immediate danger (say, it is on fire), you stay with it. So many people have perished while trying to swim or hike to safety, while they would have lived it they had stayed with their vehicle. For the same reason it is important to let people know where you are going and when you should be back. That way someone can sound the alarm when you do not return in time.

Vehicles provide shelter and resources and are much, much more easily spotted by passers-by or rescue personnel. As soon as you choose to travel, you will be very limited in your resources (as you can carry only so much) and burning through them much faster to boot.

The same goes for any other vehicle that is not close to civilisation. Unless the boat/car/aircraft/whatever poses an immediate danger (say, it is on fire), you stay with it. So many people have perished while trying to swim or hike to safety, while they would have lived it they had stayed with their vehicle. For the same reason it is important to let people know where you are going and when you should be back. That way someone can sound the alarm when you do not return in time.

Vehicles provide shelter and resources and are much, much more easily spotted by passers-by or rescue personnel. As soon as you choose to travel, you will be very limited in your resources (as you can carry only so much) and burning through them much faster to boot.

Also very true ^

That is essential for any deep woods hiker, a thing I have actual experience with (unfortunately). You think you're experienced enough to know and handle such situations (I'm a long time experienced bushwhacker), and it's all fine and good until the unexpected happens, catching you off guard. Happens to the best of them. As they say, sh*t happens. For me, that was a short jaunt with a friend through Caesars Head State Park in South Carolina photographing flora and hunting for Newts, which turned into disaster when I got injured midway through the hike, several miles in from the roadway. Park Rangers had to come rescue us (me), I severely twisted my ankle - almost broke it... even with hiking boots on. Actually made the local news - 'Dumb Yankee Gets Lost In Woods' lol.

Bagh darn motor boats. To loud and messy for me, sail all the way! In any case congrats?

Heh, I wish I could sail. Around where I live all the bodies of water are in valleys so there's no wind. Where there is wind it's usually a 1 acre pond or a stream so low you couldn't float a pop bottle in it. Lake Erie would definitely have enough wind but that's a 1 1/2 hour trip. And I don't even have a sailboat.

Welcome to the wonderful world of boats!

Rule 1 : assume everyone else is incompetent. There are no requirements for any sort of license to drive a boat, however they are much more dangerous than cars.

Rule 2 : take a USCG-approved boating safety course. Pass it.

That's how to get started :D

My eyes are terrible. Is that a catamaran? Cool!

Pun intended?

Anyways, sorry I haven't been on lately, went out on the new boat for 2 days (not a house boat, just went boating 2 days in a row), Mildly sunburned, forgot to bring sunscreen.... lol.

Anyways, All my life I have been fairly familiar with boats and watercraft alike, though this is the first boat/waverunner/watercraft besides innertubes i've ever owned. I know a thing or two, not much though.

Our boat is a Glastron, unsure of the model but it's a fairly nice boat, pics to come, still waking up (it's 12:00 p.m. and i woke up 30 mins ago... my sleep schedule is messed up...). The wave runner is an old Polaris, made i think in '98. Pics to come of that as well.

I'm kinda surprised so many KSP'ers have boats, but then again, this is KSP.... so yeah.

~Kozak

If your boat has a inboard motor and it starts on fire, DO NOT OPEN THE ENGINE COMPARTMENT.

All your going to be doing is exposing more oxygen to the fire, and allow it to spread faster.

To put out the fire, there is usually a openable hole to put in the nozzle of a fire extinguisher. When the extinguisher is in, use it until it's completely empty.

Also always have a fire extinguisher and check if it's expired.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.