Running CKAN on linux (ubuntu 14.04LTS)

I'm very new to linux.

I installed CKAN due to this tutorial https://github.com/KSP-CKAN/CKAN/wiki/Installing-CKAN-on-Ubuntu-14.04

But how do I Start CKAN?

It says to run

/usr/local/bin/mono ckan.exe

Do I need to type that in the terminal? If so it says "No such file or directory"

I've seen commands on the internet with /usr/local/bin/.... elsewhere being mentioned on the linux communities.

But these directories are nowhere to be seen in the file manager.

Besides, I thought Linux couldn't open .exe files either. Then why does the Linux tutorial tell me to open ckan.exe?

In the ckan folder "CKAN-1.10.3" there are only other folders and read only files. No file to be run or executed.

The command you are running isn't asking Linux to run ckan.exe, it is asking mono to run ckan.exe. This is possible because the ckan.exe is a .NET/Mono (CIL) executable rather than a plain Windows executable.

You probably need to change directory into your KSP folder where ckan.exe is (presumably you can open a terminal in a particular directory directly from the file manager, otherwise use cd <folderpath>).

I used the CD command to change to the folder where ckan.exe is located. I then used "mono ckan.exe"

CKAN started and works fine now. Didn't knew that I had to use cd or even how to use it properly but I just learned.

Is it possible to program ckan.exe to open with mono just by double clicking ckan.exe.

It's not the greatest of issues on the globe but I would like it if Ubuntu did this automatically without using the terminal everytime.

Is it possible to program ckan.exe to open with mono just by double clicking ckan.exe.

It's not the greatest of issues on the globe but I would like it if Ubuntu did this automatically without using the terminal everytime.

Worked out of the box for me using Debian GNU/Linux and KDE (the starting it from a shortcut thing).

If Ubuntu and Unity can't do that, create a small helper shell script, which you can then double-click to run.

In the same directory where the ckan.exe is, create a new file:

#!/bin/sh

mono ./ckan.exe

Make it executable (you can use the file-manager, or, from a terminal, the "chmod" command), and then double-click on it. CKAN should start up. You can also rename the launcher to whatever you want (it doesn't need the .sh ending either; that's just convention).

In Ubuntu, the binfmt-support package sets up Linux' binfmt_misc module to run assorted file formats with their required interpreter. Install it with

apt-get install binfmt-support

You might then have to reinstall the mono package so that it registers properly with binfmt-support.

apt-get --reinstall install mono-complete

After that you should be able to launch C# apps like ckan by just executing them.

Worked out of the box for me using Debian GNU/Linux and KDE (the starting it from a shortcut thing).

If Ubuntu and Unity can't do that, create a small helper shell script, which you can then double-click to run.

In the same directory where the ckan.exe is, create a new file:

#!/bin/sh

mono ./ckan.exe

Make it executable (you can use the file-manager, or, from a terminal, the "chmod" command), and then double-click on it. CKAN should start up. You can also rename the launcher to whatever you want (it doesn't need the .sh ending either; that's just convention).

Create a new file?

I really didn't knew how to do that. But I've searched around a little bit and I came up with the

:> ckan_launcher.sh command.

It then created ckan_launcher.sh in the same directory where ckan.exe is located.

It's then a empty file. I used a text editor "gedit" to add #!/bin/sh and

mono ./ckan.exe

I then tried both chmod and simply by using the properties window in file manager to set the file to read,write and execute but nothing happens when I double click the file.

I also installed binfmt and reinstalled mono as directed by stibbons.

I'm doing this wrong obviously:D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.