WW2 BAD-T - World War 2 BDArmory AI Dogfight Tournament [FINISHED]

I use stock parts instead of Pwings/Parts, i should feel lonely. :P

I normally use stock too, but i couldn't resist because the pwings look so good :D And BTW i have not put a weapon manager or AI on my crafts so feel free to add em anywhere before battles

Edited by boontze

Both FAR and BDArmory are being updated and my mod will come soon, so I think its a good idea to close the current round of submissions and run all of the battles then we can update.

This way I can organize them into a normal tournament table which will not affect the battles that already rolled, they will just be added to the table.

Planes that didnt fight would not be able to update anymore.

What do you guys think?

This way you can all go experiment with the latest BDArmory and FAR when it updates and I can tweak the weapons on my pack without being stuck on the current specs, and even add more!

I think this is good, the planes you already have, run them and then start a new round for new planes. Or you could let the battles that have already happened stand and then all the old craft to be updated before battling against other new planes.

I think it's a good idea to clean up and re-run the contest. BD Armoury's update will make the jets much more interesting thanks to the take-off speed options (I'm slightly tired of putting the gear miles back just so the jet doesn't stall while climbing) and having some new models for the guns will really make this competition special.

I'm a little sad not to take part in this phase, but oh well. I may as well show off a few of my designs. :)

ZY5Vmzt.png

79fp9Vk.png

Ta2pugi.png

BJjA5N6.png

5fH6lIe.png

I think it's a good idea to clean up and re-run the contest. BD Armoury's update will make the jets much more interesting thanks to the take-off speed options (I'm slightly tired of putting the gear miles back just so the jet doesn't stall while climbing) and having some new models for the guns will really make this competition special.

I'm a little sad not to take part in this phase, but oh well. I may as well show off a few of my designs. :)

Last one seems like f2h :) (with swept wings :P originally f2h has straight wings but, still seems similar. )

Last one seems like f2h :) (with swept wings :P originally f2h has straight wings but, still seems similar. )

So like the F9F? :P That craft was actually the main one I was focussing on, with straight wing and a swept wing variants tested. Needless to say, the straight wing variant would shred the swept wing one almost every time. As for its inspiration, it was really just an amalgamation of a lot of forties and fifties ideas.

I thought f9f first but saw twin engine :) Anyway, straight wings are good for maneuverability but bad for high speed, Grumman decided to use swept wing because of mig-15 thread, this shows how important speed is.

Are you beginning the battles again?

No, I will continue with what was already submitted before reopening, on a standard tournament format.

I will reopen submissions when everything updates, so its going to be really awesome.

I didnt post more battles because I was AFK.

I have somw time on my hands so I could do the current entries battles for you while you are busy. If you just send me the craft files and telll me how you set it up, I can do it.

One day, I just need one more day.

Will be back to posting them this saturday :)

So I know this is late to the party... But if I don't put it here, I'll keep putting this off and this way I'll have to keep building! She's called Rien-Nil. Because that's how many fights I expect her to win, mainly due to this being my first foray into FAR. Wings are probably too big, probably has too much fuel and it seems that nigh on 5,000 rounds of ammo isn't enough to kill with... At least when it fights itself.

Edit: Uses B9 Procedural Wings and Adjustable Landing Gears

Download = redacted for improvements...

bJfA1Xh.jpg

Edited by FlipNascar
removed link

And here's a biplane entry - Bi-Rien. Because again, not expected to do well... I'm just happy the AI can take off. You can't load with Take Command. The Kerbal explodes have to use the included and associated command pod. Twin Shkas so 10 points. And not a hope in hell of hitting anything I presume...

Download = TBD

(Sorry don't have a better pic it seems - the others are all of it crashed "landed".

tG2ZUNY.jpg

Edited by FlipNascar

Biplanes were not producing enough lift on the released FAR version, that was corrected on the dev build especially because of this challenge, now they produce realistic lift, it was actually wrong.

I recommend saving your design for when the challenge updates, it's not that hard to takeoff anymore and biplanes became super agile!

Another modification to FAR that was made for this challenge is that now kerbals receive a baked voxelization model, before they were just ignored to prevent issues, this reduces open cockpit drag.

And a bug was found and fixed because of this challenge where some wings would get shielded for no reason.

Edited by tetryds

Biplanes were not producing enough lift on the released FAR version, that was corrected on the dev build especially because of this challenge, now they produce realistic lift, it was actually wrong.

I recommend saving your design for when the challenge updates, it's not that hard to takeoff anymore and biplanes became super agile!

Another modification to FAR that was made for this challenge is that now kerbals receive a baked voxelization model, before they were just ignored to prevent issues, this reduces open cockpit drag.

And a bug was found and fixed because of this challenge where some wings would get shielded for no reason.

Just wondering, is there a battle coming up soon?

Good to hear about those FAR updates, tetryds. Should make my monoplane a little more competitive.

So I know this is late to the party... But if I don't put it here, I'll keep putting this off and this way I'll have to keep building! She's called Rien-Nil. Because that's how many fights I expect her to win, mainly due to this being my first foray into FAR. Wings are probably too big, probably has too much fuel and it seems that nigh on 5,000 rounds of ammo isn't enough to kill with... At least when it fights itself.

Edit: Uses B9 Procedural Wings and Adjustable Landing Gears

Download = https://www.dropbox.com/s/agtv90upplo6auo/Rien-Nil.craft?dl=0

http://i.imgur.com/bJfA1Xh.jpg

I hope you don't mind, but I did a little testing using this aircraft (against one of my older designs, I haven't used the design I'll be entering for fairness' sake). Just a few things I noticed:

• I don't think pre-coolers are actually allowed, you'll have to check with tetryds but I think they were classed under rocket-grade parts. Should be a simple fix though.
  • By default your cockpit torque is on and the Scan Interval for Bd Armory's Weapon Manager is set to 60. Also, your Steer Factor is set to 14, despite the fact that the pilot can easily handle 20.
  • Quite a few of your control surface (predominantly in the tail) are not actually connected to the wing, they're connected to the wing's trailing edge. This can cause big problems with regards to airflow. Also, the trailing edge of your main wing is very jagged. With B9 wings I would suggest removing the trailing edge on any wing you intend to have control surfaces on, and then using control surface parts (even if they aren't active) to completely conceal the trailing edge. This leads to a cleaner air flow, and a sleeker look.
  • Your CoM and CoL are in roughly the right place at the moment, and the AoA graph is pretty good. However...
  • In my opinion, you have far too much wing - currently you have a wing area of 57.7m/sq. When you consider that the Ta 152, which was specifically designed with a big wing due to the altitude it was expected to perform at, you have almost 3x as much wing surface. Having very low wing loading can be useful, as it generally gives better climb performance and can increase turn-rate. However you have to strike a balance, currently the size of your wing is heavily restricting the roll rate of the aircraft, and if the aircraft were able to pull a higher AoA in flight it would also induce more drag. I would suggest trimming the wing surface area down a little, especially the tailplane, which is far too large. However, wing size is all a personal preference, and it also depends on what your intended role for the aircraft is. Having such a large wing surface can be good if you want to climb at the start of the battle - you aren't set up for that currently, but maybe run some tests? Generally BD AI favours highly mobile aircraft, but I have had some success wing aircraft designed to climb at then kill the enemy before the opponent can manoeuvre enough to offset the energy advantage.
  • Your control surfaces are very small and have little motion in them. These two factors are the main cause of the relatively low agility. In a simple test, I doubled the length of the control surfaces and doubled their degrees of movement, and even under such large changes the aircraft still would only stall when BD AI did something ridiculous, and doing so meant that in a banked turn the aircraft could reach an AoA of around 10 degrees, instead of the 4 that the design pulls as standard. Now, you don't actually want the control surfaces as big or as moveable as I had made them, as it means that you end up with a lot of drag when turning, but if the wing size was reduced a little then you could set the size and movement of the control surfaces to only a little higher and still get much higher manoeuvrability.

Sorry for the wall of text - trying to tweak designs gets me a little excited about all of the options. :P Hope some of this helps, but feel free to ignore me - I'm no aeronautical engineer.

Just a few pictures of my new monoplane design. I'm holding off on entering it just yet, because I want to wait for the new weapon pack and may as well wait until the contest is re-run, but I'm so proud of her sleek lines and she's so much fun to fly that I figured I'd show her off. :P

Javascript is disabled. View full album