What year does the KSP begin?

Hello, the current time-frame of the Kerbal nation(s) - I would like to know. Man began their time-travel in 1957.

I would just like to know, to get a sense of the time, what year it is in Kerbal.

Edited by theh5

Zero, or the first year.

Meanwhile, on Earth, it's 1436.

Or possibly 5775.

Or the number you first thought of multiplied by the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Unless you're Mayan - in which case it all ended 3 years ago.

There is no real equivalent of Earth-time to Kerbal time, or even Kerbal technology to sanity. They have rocket pods before wheels, engines before ladders and get 'structural plates' really, really late so must have been very hungry. The earliest recognisable part is probably the 1950s-ish Mk1 command pod, but the 'ant' engine is more sort of 1930s.

I still do not consider this question answere. Pecan answer suggest that:

* When the Kerbals achieved space travel they reset the time, like Humans with the 'birth of christ'. But that doesn't say what their time is.

* Or the link Nookos provided which say ''Day 1 Year 1 is Jan 1 1951 at midnight GMT'' - Kerbal time > Earth time.

Perhaps I should rephrase my question:

Day 1, Year 1 is how long the Kerbal Space Program has been, correct?

What time, in Kerbal time measuring units, are the Kerbals in? 4249?

What time is the Kerbal time, from the question above, converted into Human time? 1950?

Need more information; we have none about what calendar, if any, Kerbals used before the one in the game.

By career and science modes, however, note that whatever the event was that led them to reset the calendar it wasn't space-flight since tier 1 parts aren't capable of it.

Perhaps this is the dawn of sentience on Kerbin - the Mk1 command pod is their typical hut design (which is why there are no urban areas on the planet), the 'flea' is their standard heat source and the mk16 (what happened to the other 15?) parachute is an old dress. *grin*

As I mentioned before they have no ladder or 'sheet of metal' until much, much later in their tech-tree so there's no way to convert to human time or even anything sensible.

Beyond that - make up your own number and back-story.

the game tracks the development of the Kerbal Space Program. So it starts at day 1 or year 0 of the Kerbal Space Program.

Which year in Kerbal history that is is irrelevant and unknown, would probably depend on which calendar you're using anyway (same as asking "which year is it" without providing context for the earth is also pretty irrelevant.

The Kerbal Space Centre counts their formal opening as Year 1, Day 1. That calendar probably isn't used by anyone but the space program. Not least because they're using Kerbin's sidereal day not its solar day like normal people would.

Pecan, Just because the KSP gets latters at a later Point doesn't mean they don't exists. Nasa's first years didn't utilize a Thermal Protection System, that doesn't mean we didn't have the Technology.

- - - Updated - - -

Twenting, yeah that's what I am saying but the time of the Kerbals is not irrelevant. If so then you knowing different time zones are irrelevant.

- - - Updated - - -

Evantis, that theory is not backed up by ''The fact that Jeb still smiles if I leave him on Eve for a couple centuries'' . - That just suggest that he is insane, hence the 'BadS' Trait. Or bad developing.

And you can 'prefer' all you want; that does not mean anything, such as the Kerbals perception of time. It is what it is, preferals does not change that.

- - - Updated - - -

Cantab, yeah I said that.

- - - Updated - - -

I suppose the time-frame will never be known. Only how long the KSP has been operational.

I prefer to think that kerbals doesn't have a perception of time. The fact that Jeb still smiles if I leave him on Eve for a couple centuries backs my theory.

I like this theory and would to to expand on it. Kerbals never had a need for time, since they are carefree and do what they want. When they decided to start a space program (when you make a new save game) is when they decided that they need to actually measure time in order to make calculations for spaceflight. Therefore, they invented time once it was needed. There was never any timekeeping or calendars before year 0 day 1.

Your own argument disproves itself: When they decided to start a space program (when you make a new save game) is when they decided that they need to actually measure time in order to make calculations for spaceflight. Therefore, they invented time once it was needed. There was never any timekeeping or calendars before year 0 day 1.'' - So they didn't need to keep time when to awake and go to work and build the KSP? So they didn't need time to know when they had a date? So the Kerbals didn't need time Before the KSP (Rhetorical)? They did, otherwise there wouldn't be a KSP.

I still do not consider this question answere. Pecan answer suggest that:

* When the Kerbals achieved space travel they reset the time, like Humans with the 'birth of christ'. But that doesn't say what their time is.

* Or the link Nookos provided which say ''Day 1 Year 1 is Jan 1 1951 at midnight GMT'' - Kerbal time > Earth time.

Perhaps I should rephrase my question:

What time is the Kerbal time, from the question above, converted into Human time? 1950?

From all available evidence, the space program is the prime goal of all kerbalkind, so setting their calendar to Year 1, Day 1 to mark the first day of their space program isn't any more implausible than kerbals themselves are.

I don't really see how you could get a straight answer to this. Year number is arbitrary, it's 2015 to us but it's 1436 to some people. Both represent the same "real time" year, they're just two different calendars. If you mean what equivalent technology do they have, that was answered: nonsensical. They have space pod technology before bolted on ladder rungs. A welded pipe frame chair represents scientific progress to a race that already has what must be powered armor suits given their incredible tolerance for heat and impact. None of it makes sense bud, they're little green men.

Which is great. To me, kerbals are the ideal proxy spacefarers. They aren't tied up to any particular human culture, they don't have any irrelevant history gumming up the purity of their science, they have nothing but peaceful intentions and a wonder for the universe. In short, they are the embodiment of "what if it didn't matter who we were in the quest for knowledge?"

Yeah, I kinda like the idea that they lack a real intrinsic understanding of time and only begin measuring for the sake of space flight.

@ OP: I'm feeling like there's some kind of language barrier issue here, since you seem to be asking seriously? What exactly are you asking for? If you're asking what the date would be, as measured by the gregorian/Christian/western calendar, on Earth when you start a new game there's no sensible answer because KSP doesn't take place in our universe. If you're asking how old Kerbal or Kerbin is at the start, there's no good answer there either. The observed physical laws shouldn't result in the formation of the system we get, and there isn't sufficient information to validate or even seriously suggest a timeline for the system.

Sorry for long post.

Megadeath, there is no language barrier here, unless you do not understand English.

Let me reiterate:

''Hello, the current time-frame of the Kerbal nation(s) - I would like to know. Man began their time-travel in 1957.

I would just like to know, to get a sense of the time, what year it is in Kerbal''. - In this I ask: What year is in in Kerbal, in Earth it is 2015 (by Christian calender, but I assume the KSP developers didn't consider to input different time Schedules).

In my rephrasal I sad:

''Perhaps I should rephrase my question:

What time is the Kerbal time, from the question above, converted into Human time? 1950?'' - This all elaborate the first question.

'Day 1, Year 1' Count is to know how long the Kerbal Space Program has been operational, not the general time Count of the Kerbals.

In Kerbal time measuring units (normal Kerbal Clock); what is the Kerbal time? 1256? Year 1? 1958?

If we where to convert the time we recive from the question above this one; what time is the Kerbal population in Earth standards? Kerbal time (year 1, day 1) > Eart time (1958) ?

Star Trek doesn't take Place in our Universe yet we can convert star-dates to Earth time.

And in the end the fault for this dilemma is the developers at Squad, KSP creators.'

Not sorry for the long post, as you didn't understand the smaller counter-parts.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.