Top Gun AI - The Official Tournament Thread

Ahh ok good. I was worried for a second. This challenge reminds me of tuning race cars to become faster, what with all the micro adjustments.

Yeah. After the tournament it's even better. Just fine tuning your plane into an ultimate death machine.

It is named that because it was built for speed. I am still proud that it can sustain Mach 4 without burning up.

- - - Updated - - -

Well,I am thoroughlly outturned.

Been running some tests against the XMF I'll be fighting in the first bracket... I'll put it this way, the name is very accurate.

Also: Evenflow, how the heck did you set up the AI to shoot all the missiles at once? And fire the guns in bursts at longer range?

Edited by Slam_Jones

I won't be home in time to submit a new plane, so please reuse the CK-141A with following changes:

Min alt: 400m

Default alt: 1000m

Steering factor: 20 (Max)

Torque: off (as per rules)

- - - Updated - - -

Also, you'll regret having this annually as that's a very long time.

There's some big exploits I can see in the rules but I'll save that for some future instaban fun... ;)

Hey, I noticed that the jet I'm up against has two RamJets clipped into each other. if this is allowed, can I submit a different version of my entry with that type of engine set-up?

Yeah, I noticed that for how the XMF is so maneuverable, But the question: are the fuel tanks clipped?

Hey, maker of the XMF here. Sorry for all the inconvenience regarding my entry, let me explain some stuff a bit:

1. My jet does indeed use engine clipping. The rules didn't mention anything about clipping parts if I'm right, but this is more of an aesthetic thing than anything else. I can do some easy modifications on the go if you wish, just to prevent any doubts. The plane could retain it's excellent maneuverability with some wing position tweaking. It is the CoL-CoM relation that matters. I am deeply sorry if anyone felt in any way tricked, this should not appear in my next entries if the reply tells me to do so.

2. No fueltank clipping whatsoever used here. The plane has terrible fuel economy.

3. Nonetheless, this plane is very much competitive in terms of Thrust-to-weight ratio. Good example of a ridiculously overpowered plane would be the Helion-IIID. Excellent plane too. As i said before, i shall post the tweaked version ASAP.

Sorry once again for all the problem!

Hey, maker of the XMF here. Sorry for all the inconvenience regarding my entry, let me explain some stuff a bit:

1. My jet does indeed use engine clipping. The rules didn't mention anything about clipping parts if I'm right, but this is more of an aesthetic thing than anything else. I can do some easy modifications on the go if you wish, just to prevent any doubts. The plane could retain it's excellent maneuverability with some wing position tweaking. It is the CoL-CoM relation that matters. I am deeply sorry if anyone felt in any way tricked, this should not appear in my next entries if the reply tells me to do so.

2. No fueltank clipping whatsoever used here. The plane has terrible fuel economy.

3. Nonetheless, this plane is very much competitive in terms of Thrust-to-weight ratio. Good example of a ridiculously overpowered plane would be the Helion-IIID. Excellent plane too. As i said before, i shall post the tweaked version ASAP.

Sorry once again for all the problem!

While you're here, I have to ask: did you program the AI to fire all the missiles at once and fire the guns in bursts? If so, how? Seems very helpful :)

ahh ok, thanks on the fuel tank clipping issue. I honestly want to create a 5th generation fighter challenge that doesn't need FAR where all fighters are compared in range, payload, speed, and other traits. But, the challenge already exists in name. Any suggestions?

- - - Updated - - -

the ai normally does that for me on its own. It depends on range in how that works.

- - - Updated - - -

EvenFlow, you made a great fighter there. Good luck in the tournament. Your honesty is refreshing.

Slam_Jones:

The trick here is stolen from Helion-IIID. I just set the guard mode scan interval to 0.1 through .craft file edit. It is legal i think, since the only thing it does is make you dump all the missiles a'la Macross style! ^^

Alphasus:

Not that much of an expert, but from what i already tried it turns out that short fuselage helps in stability. Won't matter during missile fights at long ranges though. Your alierons should also be spread as far out as you can on your plane and elevators should be placed on the extreme points of the craft (canards as far to the front as possible, elevators far out to the back. I've made a little demonstrator that I'll add with my revised XMF too.)

Edited by EvenFlow

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.