Laptop to PC transfer saves & other files help

Guest Jack6251

Guest Jack6251

Hi guys :)

I've been playing KSP on my laptop but just got my PC up and running again and installed KSP on it.

Which files/folders are crucial to copy over to the PC to give me the exact state of things I have on my laptop? (I have some mods but don't really mean those)

Thanks

You're in luck, KSP can be run directly from the game folder with no registry entries, no clunky my documents folders, everything including mods, saves and craft files are all in the game folder itself.

You can just copy the entire KSP folder from your laptop to the PC without any ill effects.

But since you've already installed KSP on the PC, just copy the Saves (for career save and all craft files) and GameData (if desired, mods are all here) over. That's all there is to it.

Don't forget your precious "Screenshots"!

Otherwise as the others said:

KSP

- Gamedata (mods)

- saves (includes scenarios and tutorials so, if you want just take ...)

- - <the specific save(s) you want>

- Screenshots

(- thumbs has the small, thumbnail, pictures of your ships that are shown in the VAB/SPH load menu. These will get re-created automatically as you load the relevant vehicles though, so don't worry about it much).

Guest Jack6251

Thank you everyone! :)

Update: Confirmed, pasted into new KSP folder, game ran perfectly.

Edited by Jack6251
Update

You can run multiple installs of KSP like this too. If you want to try different recipes of Mod Soup, you can have different copies of KSP modded in different ways. Just clone over a new version of the original KSP folder and adjust your mods. I run older versions of KSP like this too. I have a 0.19 and a 0.23 version running, along with my 1.0.2 version.

You can run multiple installs of KSP like this too. If you want to try different recipes of Mod Soup, you can have different copies of KSP modded in different ways. Just clone over a new version of the original KSP folder and adjust your mods. I run older versions of KSP like this too. I have a 0.19 and a 0.23 version running, along with my 1.0.2 version.

Recently I started wondering if I really need to copy all the files, or if symlinks would do. Does anyone have any experience with this?

If you've downloaded any craft off the forums, also don't forget your "Ships" folder

Congratulations; you're the first person I know who actually uses Ships.

I delete all the stock craft as soon as I install then copy the occassional file in there if I need it available to all saves. Downloaded vehicles just go in the save I want them for.

(For those who don't know ... KSP\Ships contains the Squad stock vehicles which are, basically, pants. Every time you click Load in the VAB/SPH these are the ones that clutter-up your nice list and are labelled '(stock)'. Delete them, but not the folder, to save yourself some annoyance. Conversely, if you put any *.craft files in there they'll be available in every game you create in that install).

Well, you're the first person I know who doesn't use Ships, so I guess we're both equally ignorant :D

That's interesting actually - but not enough to make a new thread for. The reason I don't is that the vehicles in each save I make have very different constraints (science, career or whatever) or purposes ('xxx' book, 'yyy' tutorial) so there are very, very few I share between saves.

Who else uses the 'Ships' folder in KSP, and what for?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.