Is KSP going to work good on this computer?

Kalle

Hi!I am going to build a computer. I will use it to play games, for exampel KSP. My question is if KSP with mods is going to work good?

The specs of the computer are:

Processor: Intel core i5 6600K

Graphics card: Sapphire Radeon R9 380 Nitro 4 GB

Ram: 8 GB

SSD: Samsung 850 EVO Series MZ-75E250B 250 GB

Operating system: Windows 10

It should run just fine.

For comparison I used to play KSP last year on a 2009 laptop with 2.2 Ghz T4400 Dual Core with nVidia 103M discreet graphics. It ran alright at a resolution of 720p at low settings.

Now I run KSP and record videos at 1080p with an i7 4510U and nVidia GTX 850M, plays passably well although part counts ruin the framerate pretty quick once I go above a few hundred. Your processor is a desktop CPU, 2 generations newer, and people usually compare your R9 380 with an nVidia 960, which is way better than the 850M.

The problem is not really about "being able" to run KSP, it's playing a waiting game until the engine is upgraded to Unity5. Until then it's a single-threaded game that's going to fancy an i5 at the highest clock rates you can possibly run. (Since, singlethreaded KSP doesn't care about hyperthreading, multicore, etc etc).

Or in my case, realizing the ancient T4400 is just as good as the 4510U in terms of running KSP. Kinda ironic!

I assume you are already talking about the yet to be release Skylake chips? Those should KSP fine, even though just on one core. The video card is massive overkill for KSP, you can run extremly high resolutions before you run into trouble with that.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.