Rods from the Gods recreation?

stickman939

I can't remember who the original creator of the mod was, but as far as I'm aware, it's called the Rod from God. It comes in 2 parts, wings and rod. Pretty straight forward.

My issue with it is that it was planned to have tweakables (or that's what the part.cfg said in it), and it's buggy in the current version of KSP when phys-warp is activated.

Also, creating a rig to launch the rods from a satellite and propelling them retrograde requires external forces such as separation motors. So that throws off the aerodynamics of it as well.

Again, I don't know who the original creator is, but feel free to check it, and analyze it to hell or something.

http://www.curse.com/ksp-mods/kerbal/226577-rods-from-the-gods

If you do know/find out who the original creator was, let me know so I can give full rights, and notify them of what I'm doing/planning to do.

Well, I never could get Unity to work in Wine, or get the Blender Mu exporter to work right so it languished, when Unity release a Linux editor I might have another go with it.

It's literally just a bar and a winglet, you have to provide your own de-orbit mechanism and that tweakables line was part of the original cfg files, I don't see what you could possibly tweak with a metal bar and a winglet.

I think it just needs [part] tags added to the cfg, but really anyone with Unity could make another.

I only uploaded it here, not to Curse or anywhere else, but if you really, really want to play with it here it is.

Also, license, https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/deed.en

I can only assume you are the original developer. Lol

That is true. It's the simplest mod I've seen. But honestly, I don't see what to do with tweakables at the moment, either. Or ever. At least, not in it's current state.

Anyways, if I need to credit you, let me know.

I'll let the license explain.

You are free to:

Share — copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format

Adapt — remix, transform, and build upon the material

for any purpose, even commercially.

The licensor cannot revoke these freedoms as long as you follow the license terms.

Under the following terms:

Attribution — You must give appropriate credit, provide a link to the license, and indicate if changes were made. You may do so in any reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests the licensor endorses you or your use.

ShareAlike — If you remix, transform, or build upon the material, you must distribute your contributions under the same license as the original.

I made it in about 10 minutes in Blender because Scott Manley was asking if something like this existed, which it didn't at the time, it was never supposed to be complex so a DAE was fine, but that format isn't really supported anymore, I'm surprised there's still interest and that no one else has done better yet.

Ok, I understand now

I didn't expect it to have been a hard creation, which also surprises me that no one else felt like creating their own. Well, I could, but I literally run on a PC I picked up at the store and didn't add better hardware. Which wasn't my intention until I got invested in youtube. But that's off topic.

I guess the interest in it is because of Manley, or at least in part, and is also the reason I went on a hunt for your mod. Honestly, when I had uploaded it, I expected it to not get attention because it's such a simple mod that doesn't serve a purpose other than mucking around. However, it does provide a fun challenge to try and aim for the KSC.

Scott made many attempts when trying to hit the KSC, I think the fact that is is so hard and that the physics steps are so far apart that you can't actually blow the place up has put off others from trying, but anyone can drop a probe guided missile, the challenge is in doing it with a dumbfire projectile :)

Course, no one said you had to drop one at a time...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.