Lots of crashes, and I mean a lot!

Guest Jack6251

Guest Jack6251

Really sorry to post, but can someone point me in the direction of any news on the horizon to address crashes? I'm crashing at an incredible rate. I'm not sure how to provide my technical data but I'd like to so as to help.

Things are verging on unplayable now.

Numero uno reason for mucho crashes is memory leaks from outdated, improperly installed, or buggy mods. Of course you could also run into issues with perfectly stable mods if you simply have too many of them. Also what version of KSP are you running 32 or 64 bit? And on what operating system? Most stable/best performing version from my understanding is 64 Linux. Any 32 bit ver you're going to inevtiably run into memory problems at some point.

Guest Jack6251

Thanks for replying so quickly! :)

I'll try and find time in 2nd half of the week to post as much details and stats as I can.

Thanks for replying so quickly! :)

I'll try and find time in 2nd half of the week to post as much details and stats as I can.

Make sure you use CKAN to install your mods, if you already dont. I used to manually install tbem but tbh its a waste of time and effort.... CKAN makes mod life easy, trust me :)

Edited by maceemiller

Yeah, CKAN is the best for mods, it keeps them up to date and warns you about any incompatibilities! You're likely running out of memory due to those mods; a notable symptom is if it happens a lot during scene changes (like when launching a craft, or reverting to the VAB).

As for fixes, with the Unity 5 update, the devs will be able to program in a 64-bit editor, theoretically allowing a stable 64-bit non-Unix edition to be released. That should fix all the out-of-memory crashes. For a short-term fix, try forcing either Open-GL mode or DirectX 11; those both provide not-insignificant memory savings. To do so, in CKAN there is a 'Launch Options' setting where you can set the path to launch KSP. For OpenGL, it should read: "KSP.exe -force-opengl", and for DirectX, "KSP.exe -force-d3d11" (without quotes, in both cases).

Of course, these will have side-effects, so experiment to find the one which affects your game the least. You can also try Active Texture Management, which will compress textures to bring down the memory footprint some.