How many KSP users are out there?

Tazin

SQUAD knows, but for Reasons (and very good ones, I might add!), they don't disclose them. The only solid number anyone has was when Steam leaked that they'd sold a million copies before SQUAD informed Steam that they didn't want that information to be public.

SQUAD knows, but for Reasons (and very good ones, I might add!), they don't disclose them. The only solid number anyone has was when Steam leaked that they'd sold a million copies before SQUAD informed Steam that they didn't want that information to be public.

... and that was quite a long time ago. My guess? About 3 million copies out there, and a million active players.

Just wondering, what are those reasons?

I think that some reasons are related to the current climate in Mexico re: cartels. Kidnappings of wealthy people for ransom was a thing down there for a while...

For instance, I have 7 friends on Steam that own the game but none of them play it at all, never learned, never got past the first few minutes of the game.

One of them has been trying recently, by doing the tutorials. He can't figure them out.

And then you've got people (like me) who copy all the Steam files somewhere else so we can play the thing a) offline and B) without a Steam update stomping all over our modded game. According to Steam, I've only played this game for 120 hours, when the real number is probably four figures. I recently pared my installs down from 10 to 8.

You can also gauge a sense of how many STEAM USERS are playing the game CONCURRENTLY here:

http://steamcharts.com/app/220200

I have the steam game, I stopped playing it and bought the amazon version because it could not be played in offline mode (it could it only took an hour to load). I did not like steam playing the in the background and most annoying is when the game crashed a steam popup advertisement would show up. Game is much more stable (fewer not responding issues) since I removed steam from the equation.

So . . . . . . . . .

I have the steam game, I stopped playing it and bought the amazon version because it could not be played in offline mode (it could it only took an hour to load). I did not like steam playing the in the background and most annoying is when the game crashed a steam popup advertisement would show up. Game is much more stable (fewer not responding issues) since I removed steam from the equation.

So . . . . . . . . .

You can play any Steam game in offline mode:

What is Steam's Offline Mode?

Offline Mode allows you to play games through Steam without reconnecting to the Steam Network every time you wish to play - this is particularly useful if you do not plan on playing over the internet and would prefer not to download new updates for your single-player games.

Please note that you must connect to the Steam Network and test each of the games you would like to use in Offline Mode at least once to set up your account and configure Offline Mode on your machine.

Source: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=3160-agcb-2555

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.