Landers that fit in a Mk2 bay

Someone asked me about my lander privately. I managed to land it on Vall and return to the mothership, but only had like a 100 deltaV left, so it's right on the limit. And as I thought, with the 2 Kerbals, it has 2300 deltaV aproximately.

Q910MsE.png

Word of caution if someone wants to use it or wants to replicate the idea: It can only dock with 1 kerbal on board, so you have to get your co-pilot back on the mothership before that.

EDIT: One thing: Most people don't see the use for the toroidal fuel tank. It has quite a lot of fuel for the volume, so you can stack a bunch and still make a very compact craft, so it's ideal for the idea in this thread.

Edited by Vegetal
Useful info

Do you have a craft file for this?

Sure thing download here - should be all stock :)

If you have the tech, it's better to have an Octo2 core and a small reaction wheel. You can also surface attach some extendible solars onto the outer faces of the oscar tanks before you stick on the round-8s; they'll still be able to extend and retract and will be less likely to leave you without power - but they will weigh more.

drt4G27.jpg

Engine gimbal is far too powerful for the tiny reaction wheel in this core, safer to leave it off. And luckily kerbals are transparent so the headlight works just fine xD

Sure thing download here - should be all stock :)

If you have the tech, it's better to have an Octo2 core and a small reaction wheel. You can also surface attach some extendible solars onto the outer faces of the oscar tanks before you stick on the round-8s; they'll still be able to extend and retract and will be less likely to leave you without power - but they will weigh more.

http://i.imgur.com/drt4G27.jpg

Engine gimbal is far too powerful for the tiny reaction wheel in this core, safer to leave it off. And luckily kerbals are transparent so the headlight works just fine xD

Cool thanks. Do you have a the file for the launcher (I can't build planes for my life)?

Cool thanks. Do you have a the file for the launcher (I can't build planes for my life)?

It's not a plane, it's just a rocket with an MK2 fuselage and some control surfaces to help target the re-entry - hence it went up with two skipper engines :) Also it has no real range unless you use Modular Fuel Tanks to swap the useless oxidiser for LF.

- - - Updated - - -

Road trip!

Something seems so wrong about that...

It's not a plane, it's just a rocket with an MK2 fuselage and some control surfaces to help target the re-entry - hence it went up with two skipper engines :) Also it has no real range unless you use Modular Fuel Tanks to swap the useless oxidiser for LF.

Still looks awsome and any attempt I have tried to replicate it has failed (how did you make it orange)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.