[Invention] My suggestion for the Kerbol system

mincespy

If i remeber correctly, they are basing it (the devs) on the real solar system.

thats good.

No, it\'s not. At least, in my humble opinion it isn\'t. Why would we want a clone of our solar system when they could create an innovative new system that presents more challenge and interest to the player? Have crazy new orbital paths and worlds, rather than the un-inhabitable ones we have.

I\'m not trying to make out that nothing in our system is worth recreating in the game, but the opportunity the devs have to design their own wonderful universe is unmissable. I envy them.

Let\'s see some creativity!

No, it\'s not. At least, in my humble opinion it isn\'t. Why would we want a clone of our solar system when they could create an innovative new system that presents more challenge and interest to the player? Have crazy new orbital paths and worlds, rather than the un-inhabitable ones we have.

I\'m not trying to make out that nothing in our system is worth recreating in the game, but the opportunity the devs have to design their own wonderful universe is unmissable. I envy them.

Let\'s see some creativity!

No don\'t be stupid, it\'s a great thing that the starting solar system will have a sense of familiarity about it. Last I checked we have never had a manned flight to any body in the solar system other than the moon so why do we need a more challenging system than what we already have. On the same note our current solar system hosts a wide range of different celestial bodies so we are by no means limited if the Kerbal solar system is based on the same planets.

If you are super worried about having abnormal planets and planetary orbits then don\'t be, there is plenty of room for that kind of thing in nearby solar systems (which will present an even larger challenge) as not only will we not know exactly what the planets are made of but we would also have to design a method of interstellar manned spaceflight.

As far as we have observed life is not prevalent anywhere but Earth (Kerbin) so what is to say that life could have not existed if the solar system was vastly different to it is now, for example there are many theories that life actually originated off Earth (most cite Mars) and was seeded here on asteroids and flourished because we are at a perfect distance from the Sun and had plenty of water and oxygen.

Again, rest easy about the solar system; It\'s really no big deal if it looks a lot like our own because there is always room for exactly what you are asking for in another solar system and is likely to be implemented as such.

No don\'t be stupid

*cough*

there is plenty of room for that kind of thing in nearby solar systems

Okay, I understand where you are coming from in some of the things you have said. To be honest, the thought of having a complete other solar system to explore never really crossed my mind, as having it close enough to be within reach of most players clashes with it being realistically far away.

By \'close enough for most players\' I\'m referring to the fact that it would be a bit of a waste of development time to create a brand new spanking solar system that only a portion of the community would go to, especially when having another solar system implies the current one is pretty much finished and lots (not sure if most or not) would be content to hang around there. Then again, it would be amazing for those players to have a solar system to explore that most aren\'t going to! But then again... it probably wouldn\'t be TOO difficult to get to another solar system, the challenge is slowing down from such a long (and therefore high velocity) journey and landing on a planet... Ah, conflicting arguments! Anyway, next thing:

Last I checked we have never had a manned flight to any body in the solar system other than the moon so why do we need a more challenging system than what we already have.

I object to the implication that the challenge we face in real life in visiting other planets will carry over into the game enough for the devs to say 'that\'s challenging enough' to new ideas. Also, the biggest reason, I believe, no manned flights have gone to other planets is more due to lack of funding into space technology rather than actual technical challenge. A problem that obviously isn\'t so massive in a game where funding (will be) less realistically acquired.

I\'m not talking from a position of particularly high knowledge, just speaking my mind. Again, I think it\'d be a waste of potential to exactly recreate our current solar system, and I doubt there will be a whole new solar system within the foreseeable future of the game for the devs to play about in.

To sum up my opinion: Allowing the developers of the game the freedom to design a solar system that is perfect for the player, with sufficient challenge, innovation AND simplicity is going to be far better than restricting them to a model that was never intended for such a purpose, and was created by chance. If having a similar planet to Mars is a good idea, then make it by all means! Surely you can\'t argue against THAT point, out of all others.

• 4 weeks later...

What about a gas giant with huge floating botanic balloons. Miss one, and you\'re gone!

I think a must would be a football shaped planet, like Haumea.

I love these ideas, in addition to the OP. Space ought to be weird, especially in the Kerbol system.

My personal opinion is that we should have one familiar planet, like Murs. I say this because it would inspire attempts at the familiar planned missions and better understanding of the real-world situation and challenges. The other planets should be fictional, and very creative, like the OP, the two above, and others in this thread. No more than nine-ish. Beyond that, they should be spread out among other stars.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.