Parasails. Are they possible now?

passinglurker

So I remember a while back there being some discussion about using a specially shaped parachute part as a wing for controlled gliding landings and it was deemed as impossible due to the state of the old aero-model at the time. Well now the aero-model has changed and I remember after 1.0.x hit some of the mod chutes went screwy and started making people fly sideways so my question is "is it possible now?"

I don't see why they shouldn't.

Of course, they'd need to work in a much different manner than regular parachutes (which, if I'm not mistaken, are non physical and just put up a point over the ship with huge drag).

It would need to work like some of the variable geometry wings out there. Going from null drag to a specific wing model.

Hi, I made a powered paraglider a while back, probalby in version 0.22 or something. I had to use FAR for obvious reasons and KAS to support the wing, but it was flying as a charm. For my wing I used a set of unchanged stock wings and due to their mass they needed a support pylon but when in the air I could just decouple it. The steering was possible as I used reallife method of changing the position of the whole wing/sail. Here is a screenshot of it flying http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=287869896. If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

In stock aero, parachutes are not considered a lifting body, just a drag body. The new stock aero is certainly a better fake, but it's still a fake. FAR theoretically should simulate lift on any surface, including parachutes, because it doesn't rely on artificial lift assignments on the parts.

It's almost certainly probably possible, but I don't think anybody knows exactly how to do it.

The gliding that happened in the change to 1.0.X aerodynamics was due to incorrectly calculated drag-cubes (I.E. if you can pre-define the right shape it will glide).

Edit: Also possible Squad patched out the gliding behavior between 1.0 and 1.0.4.

45528bfd54.jpg

Edited by Beale

This would be interesting, it's also got me thinking about Blimps and Hot Air Balloons.

Hot air balloons are basically impossible in KSP, as there is no real thermodynamics engine for air, etc. It's only for part heating, unfortunately. It would be cool to try to make something like that though. They made deadly reentry when heating wasn't added yet.

- - - Updated - - -

I once attempted doing one of these in KSP.

http://www.poweredparaglidingcolorado.com/about_ppg/IMG_9052.jpg

I failed. Miserably.

Chutes do not generate lift, even in FAR. They only generate drag.

You'd have to remove the drag characteristic, and sometimes in FAR, even lifting body effects don't work right.

PART{
name = parachuteSingle
module = Part
author = HarvesteR
mesh = model.mu
scale = 0.1
node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -0.120649, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 0
node_attach = 0.0, -0.120649, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0
sound_parachute_open = activate
sound_parachute_single = deploy
TechRequired = start
entryCost = 0
cost = 422
category = Utility
subcategory = 0
title = Mk16 Parachute
description = The Mk16 Parachute might be considered by some to be little more than a random stitching together of the surplus parts it is, in fact, made from. But the fact remains that the Mk16 has been widely accepted as a generally better alternative to being in freefall.
attachRules = 1,0,0,1,0
mass = 0.1
dragModelType = default
angularDrag = 3
crashTolerance = 12
maxTemp = 2500 // = 3100
emissiveConstant = 0.7
stageOffset = -1
bulkheadProfiles = size0, srf
bodyLiftMultiplier = 0

MODULE
{
name = ModuleParachute
semiDeployedAnimation = semiDeploySmall
fullyDeployedAnimation = fullyDeploySmall
invertCanopy = true
autoCutSpeed = 0.5
capName = cap
canopyName = canopy
stowedDrag = 0.22
semiDeployedDrag = 1
fullyDeployedDrag = 500
minAirPressureToOpen = 0.04
clampMinAirPressure = 0.04
deployAltitude = 1000
deploymentSpeed = 0.12
semiDeploymentSpeed = 0.5
chuteMaxTemp = 650
}
MODULE
{
name = ModuleTestSubject
environments = 4
useStaging = True
useEvent = False
}

//These two would have to be removed
MODULE
{
name = ModuleDragModifier
dragCubeName = SEMIDEPLOYED
dragModifier = 0.33
}
MODULE
{
name = ModuleDragModifier
dragCubeName = DEPLOYED
dragModifier = 12
}
}

//You'd need to add this too
MODULE
{
name = ModuleLiftingSurface
useInternalDragModel = True
deflectionLiftCoeff = 5.0 // 16,5m^2
dragAtMaxAoA = 0.6
dragAtMinAoA = 0.0
}

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.