Running out of memory; for you other players, is this normal or not?

Hi, I wasn't sure where to post this, so general it is... I have been having memory problems with Windows 32 bit KSP for the last few versions.

I'm using a few mods with parts, but none of the huge ones (like Interstellar or B9). Main parts adding mods I use are BDArmory, KAX, IR (Reworked models).

No EVE, no skybox, nothing like that.

I'm using very aggressive ATM settings, instead of scaling everying down by 50%, I flat out capped the max size to 256x256 (and normals to 128x128).

Here is my typical session:

Start KSP, usage: 1.3GB

Resume my game: 1.6GB

Enter SPH -> Launch some plane: 1.8GB

Crash/Revert to SPH: 1.7GB

Launch plane again: 1.9GB

Crash/Revert: 1.8GB

And this continues till it gets to 2.5ish GB when the game crashes. It also starts pausing for 0.5 seconds periodically after the first couple of launches.

I can launch maybe a half dozen times before the game crashes.

So how can there be so many players using several large parts packs and not crash after your first or second launch? Is this actually how it is for most people using tons of parts mods or is there something up with my install, perhaps a mod is doing this?

Any input would be appreciated, even if it is 'yeah, we crash after a few launches too'.

Thanks,

Corey

How much RAM does your computer have? KSP shouldn't be crashing at 2.5GB, more like 3.5GB normally, so if you have 4GB in your computer then you may experience out of memory crashes more often as some memory is used for the OS etc.

Also, do you have crash logs/game logs that you could upload?

Mine goes up to 2.8 GB before crashing.

This game just recently left beta stages, and still has bad memory leaks from back when it was beta; not all objects are properly disposed of when reverting/quick-loading your flight.

Also I noticed when you get your flight in orbit and visit the space center, the memory usage tends to spike.

This is normal and you'll learn to get used to it.

My OS is 64 bit but I am using 32 bit KSP.

I have 8GB of ram and the above was a typo, I meant to say 3.5 GB not 2.5 :)

In any case, it seems like the consensus is that this is normal behavior and that these are memory leaks. I will just have to resign myself to it, I suppose, although I have been toying with doing a USB install of Linux explicitly for 64 bit KSP...

Yeah KSP is currently 32 bit only and will crash at ~3.5-3.7 gb ram usage. Having said that I have never had a problem with memory leaks and if I launch with ~2.8gb I can usually play through without crashing at all.

Try a stock install some time and then add the mods in one at a time? Good chance 1.1 will fix some issues (and very hopeful that it's x64 so no more RAM issues...)

Yup I get memory leaks. In all the situations mentioned, plus when flying a plane on kerbin it slowly rises until it crashes. To the point where I am now waiting for 64bit to resume. Well that plus since upgrading to windows 10, openGl does not work properly anymore.

Try -force-opengl or -force-d3d11. That is what many people use to maximize amount of mods in KSP. These use your discrete graphics card's memory to reduce memory pressure. With OpenGL, my starting RAM is 1.9gb with a bunch of part mods installed. Google KSP -force-opengl or -d3d11 to find threads discussing these.

On my install I went and resized all the .dds textures that I felt were too big for their parts.

For example the Telus Mobility Enhancer textures are 1024x1024px and have normals, 1.4 Mb each. I resized it to 256x256px and deleted the unnecessary normal textures. No noticeable difference ingame, saved 1.2Mb on each texture. Scanned my GameData folder for big texture files and resized them all + deleted unnecesary normals. My GameData folder with 114 mods now weights only 608Mb. All the memory related crashes ceased. Lower texture quality is noticeable only on extreme close-ups.

Edited by Enceos

Yup, I definitely use open GL. That switch alone cuts off about 500 MB off my starting ram usage. The thing I am afraid of is that even when we get a 64 bit version, it just means we can play longer before it inevitably crashes.

One of the major memory leaks is with the temperature displays. You can turn them off by pressing F10, which will delay it. KerboKatz utilities also has a mod which automatically turns them off (so you don't have to do it every time).

I have 16 GB of RAM and still occasionally have my 64-bit Linux install balloon to 13.5 GB of usage (usually I'm hanging out around 6.5 GB for KSP).

One of the major memory leaks is with the temperature displays. You can turn them off by pressing F10, which will delay it. KerboKatz utilities also has a mod which automatically turns them off (so you don't have to do it every time).

I have 16 GB of RAM and still occasionally have my 64-bit Linux install balloon to 13.5 GB of usage (usually I'm hanging out around 6.5 GB for KSP).

That has been already been fixed in 1.0.4. You can safely watch the F10 gauges.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.