rescue kerbal that ran out of EVA propellant

so.. after a few in game years i'm finally going to retrieve bill from orbit. he got stuck there when working with KAS struts and somehow he attached a strut end point to his own helmet, this sent him spinning off into space and in a futile attempt to regain control he ran out of EVA propellant.

the strut detached from bill's large head after switching to the space center and back to bill, but now whenever i manouver the door of an empty command pod within his reach i don't get the prompt to grab the ladder. when i get too close and touch bill there's usually a baby kraken that slings him away from the craft quite violently.

now what are my options to get him back apart from terminating him? thanks

Edited by Belphegor

Aside from the loss of poor Bill (hopefully not) - I find it hilarious at the thought of him attaching a strut to his own helmet!! Hilarious and for such a ridiculous mistake He should be demoted to 0 star and high stupidity :)

Brilliant!!

You could try catching him in a cargo bay and bringing him down that way. However he is liable to drift out when timewarping. If your orbital period is long you may have to keep recatching him. If it's short just use physical timewarp only, you can force it in space with alt+.

I would recommend a klaw in a cargo bay.

The retractable landers lack a collision mesh. Use one of those pointing away from the craft if you want him to grab on.

If you can get a Kerbal through reentry, I believe you can still bounce them off their head. Use conspicuous amounts of airbrakes and a shallow descent to minimize heating and you may get away with an external Kerbal.

A bare kerbal isn't going to survive a reentry.

There are lots of ways to do it, but if you deliver another tank of fuel, might as well bring a pod with. In the past, I've also built a scoop type device with a seat or capsule hatch at the bottom. The seat is handy because it doesn't require contact. So you could hide a seat inside a cargo bay also, rather than a claw (if the bugginess is a concern).

Cheers,

-Claw

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.