Parts I Never Use

RocketBlam

Funnily enough I seem to have come round to the Poodle a bit on my launchers, it does seem to offer more performance than a Swivel, the boost to upper-stage delta-V from its Isp compensating for the reduction in lower-stage performance from its mass. Still not sure when I'll use it on an orbital spacecraft though. Maybe if I build something using 3.75m or Mk3 parts.

They're good for some of those "build an orbital station" missions, that require x number of Kerbals.

I think the only part that has received nearly unanimous agreement of its uselessness is the micronode.

I'm also one who has not figured out why the micronode exists.

I currently suspect that it's a Kerbal Zen kÃ…Âan. (Kerbals being physical thinkers, and all.)

Master RÃ…Âshi Kerman says, "you will only achieve true mastery of spacecraft design when you understand the purpose of the Not-Rockomax Micronode." That kind of thing.

I would certainly hate to see it disappear from the game.

As for the other parts people have mentioned, I've used -- and still use -- all of them except for the O-10 Puff and the large drogue chute. I think the rebalancing in 1.0 was done extremely well.

I currently suspect that it's a Kerbal Zen kÃ…Âan. (Kerbals being physical thinkers, and all.)

Master RÃ…Âshi Kerman says, "you will only achieve true mastery of spacecraft design when you understand the purpose of the Not-Rockomax Micronode." That kind of thing.

I would certainly hate to see it disappear from the game.

As for the other parts people have mentioned, I've used -- and still use -- all of them except for the O-10 Puff and the large drogue chute. I think the rebalancing in 1.0 was done extremely well.

Didn't Roshi Kerman say something like "Receive all things with simplicity"?

Sometimes I wonder if he's a Kerbal at all...

The only part I really never use is that micronode. There's quite a few specialty parts I rarely use, but I have yet to find a good use for that node. It also seems to be a buggy part (similar to the rockomax node) in that even though it's symmetrical, you still have to rotate it until it's happy and will connect.

I don't use any of the small probes that don't have a reaction wheel anymore.

The Octo-2 (the flat one) is useful for putting on landers, capsules etc to give it SAS for times when you're flying a small craft with a scientist or engineer.

Octagonal Strut: I don't really see its purpose, since it only attaches to nodes.

M-Beam 650 I-Beam: I don't really have a purpose for this either, unlike the other I-Beams which I use usually on rovers or for makeshift landing legs, this one is just too short and thick for anything.

The Not-Rockomax Micronode: Don't see a use either, only attaches to nodes.

Clamp-O-Tron Jr.: Even the smallest ships that need to dock mostly have space for a normal docking port, which is also more stable and easier to dock to, so I don't have a use for the Jr, except for Mk1 capsules, but I have only docked to those once.

Inline Clamp-O-Tron: I've used this once, but there is really no point, since you can just attach a normal docking port to the side and it weighs much less.

RoveMax Model XL3: Now I have used this for a giant Duna rover, which is pretty successful, currently circumnavigating the planet, but other than rovers so large it is a miracle they even made it to space (which I rarely build), there's really nothing else that requires wheels this big. Unless you try to build a mobile launch pad of some sort...

I never use the 3-kerbal 2.5m command pod. The mass of the thing (4t!) is ridiculous for its crew capacity, and I'm a good enough pilot (even without MJ) that I honestly have never seen the need for the more durable capsules. I used it once, gasped in shock at the mass during my next visit to the VAB, and never used it again. I almost never use spaceplane cockpits, either, particularly the Mk2 ones. Why waste 2.06t on 2 kerbals when you can cram 4 into a passenger module that's 2.5t and slap a probe core on?

Between MechJeb and my stock habits of using probes (ALL HAIL OKTO2) and passenger modules for everything, I presume that my pilots are pretty upset that they don't ever do anything... whenever I get bored and decide to blow stuff up with BDArmory, I put Jeb, Val, or whatever other pilots I have on staff in my latest war machine and pretend they are getting revenge on Administration/Mission Control/the engineering staff for not letting them do stuff :sticktongue:

An engineer asked Wernher, "For what is the Not-Rockomax Micronode?" Wernher told the engineer "For proceed." The engineer was enlightened.

The micronode actually has uses: tiny space stations, tiny probes, structural elements... For tiny probes.

Anyway I never use Mk2&3 parts or the girders in rockets or planes. I also never use the Mk1-2 lander because... I don't know why...

LV-1 "Ant" LF Engine

http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/images/thumb/4/47/LV-1_Liquid_Fuel_Engine_HD.png/190px-LV-1_Liquid_Fuel_Engine_HD.png

Why: What is this, an engine for ants? :) I usually like the tiny little engines and such, because I like making tiny little spacecraft, but I've never used this. I would use two of the side-mounted LV-1 Spiders instead. This just seems kind of pointless. The extra weight of another LV-1R is insignificant, although this one does have better ISP. Also, when you attach a decoupler below it, it leaves a gap and doesn't look right.

One of these, an Oscar-B tank, a probe core, batteries, antenna, thermometer and a few solar panels = very, very light probe/science-sattelite with 2000 dV

You can put one such probe on top of a ridiculous small launcher and, for a total of 5k credits you have something with 6000dv which can put satellites in LKO and all of Kerbin's moons (and also land in the latter), as well as do multiple "put satellite in orbit of..." contracts with one launch.

That's all of the exploration, land-in XXX, science from orbit, and most put satellite in orbit of XXX contracts take care of for the early/mid game in career.

Beyond that, it's maybe only useful to make a mini-hopper with a chair to move kerbals around in Minmus.

The Octo-2 (the flat one) is useful for putting on landers, capsules etc to give it SAS for times when you're flying a small craft with a scientist or engineer.

Why are you telling me this? I was stating the parts I don't use, not asking for suggestions on how to use them. They are useless to me, I will never use them.

Edited by Alshain

Why are you telling me this? I was stating the parts I don't use, not asking for suggestions on how to use them. They are useless to me, I will never use them.

Apologies. More for the benefit of others - as had been stated many times in this thread, often even not-often-used parts can have uses, and in my games this part is useful indeed.

Apologies. More for the benefit of others - as had been stated many times in this thread, often even not-often-used parts can have uses, and in my games this part is useful indeed.

Ah, well my apologies then. I misunderstood your comment. It seemed like you were trying to say my opinion was incorrect, which given it's an opinion that is impossible.

Ah, well my apologies then. I misunderstood your comment. It seemed like you were trying to say my opinion was incorrect, which given it's an opinion that is impossible.

No prob, bob. :) If there's one thing I am it's open minded to opinions, as I have quite a few unconventional ones myself.

I almost never use Micronode, but I def use Basic Fin and I-beams!

The least used stock part for me, though, is probably the micronode, actually. Usually a cubic octagonal strut will function the same, and has less restrictive attachment rules.

Edited by Slam_Jones
Grammar, spelling

I almost never use Micronode, but I def use Basic Fin and I-beams!

The least used stock part for me, though, i probably the micronode, actually. Usually a cubic octagonal strut will function the same, and has less restrictive attachment rules.

^^ This. I don't think there's any doubt about it.

I have used the micronode once or twice. It's only really good for building accurate i-beam frameworks, and u still have to strap up with struts. I've used such frameworks a couple of times - ship decks... an off-world high-rise car-park... - but there are other ways to achieve the same that would probably have used fewer parts.

I use the basic fin in 90% of all size-1 launch vehicle. It's, cheap, light and more than enough to keep your centre of drag stable. It may be flimsy, but even though I see the thermal warning bars pop up midway through ascent, I've never actually melted them.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.