An incredible photo of the Atlas V launch this morning. (And other cool space-related photos?)

o Atomsk

They always do. Here's a highlight reel:

It was certainly one of the most visually impressive launches I've seen to date - it in fact caused

among Florida residents due to the highly visible upper atmosphere plume :D Edited by Streetwind

It was certainly one of the most visually impressive launches I've seen to date - it in fact caused
among Florida residents due to the highly visible upper atmosphere plume :D

Whoa, the plume looks impressive. No wonder why people thought it was a UFO. What is the explanation for that phenomenon? Shockwave + water vapour + early morning light?

On topic though, the picture in the OP makes me think of the tower of babel for some reason. We used to build towers of rocks and dirt in attempt of reaching the sky just for it to end in failure. But we never give up. Once again we build towers, this time out of raging fire and hardened metal, and with it we conquer the heavens, allowing us to go much further than ever before in history.

Edited by RainDreamer

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.