(KSP 1.0.4) Rosetta-Philae Probe/Lander with Ariane 5 launcher

Columbia

Rosetta is a robotic space probe built and launched by the European Space Agency. Along with Philae, its lander module, Rosetta is performing a detailed study of comet 67P/Churyumov–Gerasimenko (67P). It was launched on 2 March 2004 from the Guiana Space Centre in French Guiana on an Ariane 5 rocket and reached the comet on 6 August 2014, becoming the first spacecraft to orbit a comet.

After my own Ariane 5 (My very first released craft - 0.90) was eventually made obsolete in 1.0, I decided to make a new, much better version. With a few catches - It would be accompanied with a Rosetta-Philae replica. (And yes, the boosters are solids!) It should have more than enough Delta-V to go interplanetary (I've been able to send it to Eve, but if you can land it on Gilly, I'd applaud you - You'd be better off with landing Gilly on you.) The screenshots use Minmus as the demonstrative "comet".

Enough about how this craft came about, here are some images!

NEyPP2B.png

tfvIXj6.png

Here's the full album:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

The Philae relies on a supply of Monopropellant and RCS to get around.

Here's the Craft file.

I might consider adding other payloads to that Ariane 5..

If you liked it, leave some rep and or a comment, and I'm open to feedback! :)

(And happy 1,000 posts! Thanks for all the memories, KSP Community. You're the best. I'd post a loong speech here, but this is a ship thread, so..)

That's a great Ariane 5. I love the boosters.

Using struts for the landing legs on Philae? That's a nice little probe. Can't wait to see what else you come up with.

Thank you, FoxHunt! :D It took me a bit of time to be able to build the boosters.. They were not very cooperative.

Look really good! But I must ask... you make do with a single Skipper, really? Because that would be even more respectable, IMO.

Rune. Considering the mass of empty tankage alone that you have over it, tough...

Look really good! But I must ask... you make do with a single Skipper, really? Because that would be even more respectable, IMO.

Rune. Considering the mass of empty tankage alone that you have over it, tough...

Sorry to burst your bubble.. but.. I clipped four Skippers, notably for aesthetics.

And thanks!

Building Replicas in KSP is about one thing, and one thing only. Compromise.

It's just varying degrees of compromise. You do everything you can to make it look like the real one.

Edited by Majorjim

Awesome rocket. It looks amazing, even if

Yes, yes, I may have been cheaty. :P Thanks!

Columbia, I think it is now safe to say you are the most prolific builder on the forums at the moment. A craft a day is actually amazing.

Jesus Christ, Thank you for the compliment! I'm really starstruck! :D

Yes, yes, I may have been cheaty. :P Thanks!

Cheaty? That means nothing if it makes the craft work and look right!

Jesus Christ, Thank you for the compliment! I'm really starstruck! :D

You probably are the most prolific, but once, before I really started putting a lot of work into my craft, I made two in one day. However, neither of them were anywhere near as good as this! I love the fairing! And the lander bit (Philae? Or is it rosetta?) is beautiful.

Cheaty? That means nothing if it makes the craft work and look right!

Eh, you're right. It's not cheating if it's replicating! :P

You probably are the most prolific, but once, before I really started putting a lot of work into my craft, I made two in one day. However, neither of them were anywhere near as good as this! I love the fairing! And the lander bit (Philae? Or is it rosetta?) is beautiful.

Thank you, MRS! :D To be honest, I'm a little guilty I didn't send it all the way to Gilly, as some others have. Also, to be honest, the main frame was sitting ever since 1.0.2, and I had to change a lot of things in 1.0.4..

I wish I was faster in building these, though.

sweet little eurpean mission~

i woudkl use a different aproach for teh SRB's to make their diameter smaller. looks a bit strange compared to the mainbody of the Ariane 5.

Thanks! If I ever did, though, I might have to take off the 2.5m fuselages (which kinda make them rather ugly, though..)

But thanks for the idea. :)

- - - Updated - - -

You should try and build the Columbus Man-Tended Free Flyer

Here's my version.

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/1457265578247852026/223F4C0F5AF1DC4D70225A0193BDC5143992A710/

Sweet! I need to make one of these myself!

Maybe try and build some Comsat payloads, and try your hand at a SYLDA :) Maybe Bepicolombo, Though all those gravity assists might be hard. :)

Ideas, Ideas everywhere. I will pribably be spending all my time trying to make so many payloads. :) Good suggestions!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.