[0.25] Lionhead Aerospace Inc. - Icarus v0.4 updated

Yogui87

Do you still plan on making the Europa launch vehicle?

For anyone who would like to know what the Europa looks like,here's a picture:

snip

Europeans always made ugly rockets ^^ Except for Ariane 5

This pack is awesome, with one caveat: the EPS's built in fairing. With the way it is now I can't use the EPS on any other rocket. Can we get a version without the fairing or perhaps instead of having a built in fairing just use a separate decoupler part.

This pack is awesome, with one caveat: the EPS's built in fairing. With the way it is now I can't use the EPS on any other rocket. Can we get a version without the fairing or perhaps instead of having a built in fairing just use a separate decoupler part.

It adds more parts and is more difficult for little computer like mine to run. It's not a good idea. Plus, Yogui has a lot of work, this is just an insignificant detail.

It adds more parts and is more difficult for little computer like mine to run. It's not a good idea. Plus, Yogui has a lot of work, this is just an insignificant detail.

Given the lego-like approach KSP takes towards rocket building I'd hardly call it an "insignificant" detail. I'm sure I'm not the only one who likes to mix and match parts from different mod packs, and allowing one to use the EPS on rockets besides the Ariane 5 would be a general improvement to the pack. I realize that Yogui is doing this out of the kindness of his heart as with most modders, but the reason why I brought it up is that I genuinely believe that the pack would be better if the modification was made. If he decides to not do it, well then that sucks but I'll live with it.

Furthermore, one more part isn't going to blow up your computer, and if all he does is create an EPS part in addition to the normal one that doesn't have the fairing then you don't even have to use it, thereby not increasing the part count needed to assemble the Ariane 5.

Hmm, you know, it might be possible to make both sides here happy, because KSP 0.20.x allows us to make as many rescales and/or config edits to a part as we want, but it only needs to load that part's model and texture ONE TIME, which means that any kind of rescale or tweak to a part can be done without making KSP use any more memory than it takes to store the data defining those modded parts.

As an example, let's take 2 identical computers, both running the latest version of KSP.

One computer is running "pure stock" (no mod parts no cfg edits no plugins). The other computer is also running stock, except we added a cfg edit to every part that tells the game to show us an additional half sized version of that part, and named the half scale versions differently from the originals. The edited part.cfg file for each half-scale version is placed in the same folder as the original, and re-named "partHalf.cfg".

If you were to look at the amount of RAM that KSP.exe is using on each computer, I doubt you would notice much difference.

This means that if it's possible to add a version of the EPS without fairings purely thru editing the part.cfg, it shouldn't cause any measurable performance reduction of any kind whatsoever.

Hmm, you know, it might be possible to make both sides here happy, because KSP 0.20.x allows us to make as many rescales and/or config edits to a part as we want, but it only needs to load that part's model and texture ONE TIME, which means that any kind of rescale or tweak to a part can be done without making KSP use any more memory than it takes to store the data defining those modded parts.

As an example, let's take 2 identical computers, both running the latest version of KSP.

One computer is running "pure stock" (no mod parts no cfg edits no plugins). The other computer is also running stock, except we added a cfg edit to every part that tells the game to show us an additional half sized version of that part, and named the half scale versions differently from the originals. The edited part.cfg file for each half-scale version is placed in the same folder as the original, and re-named "partHalf.cfg".

If you were to look at the amount of RAM that KSP.exe is using on each computer, I doubt you would notice much difference.

This means that if it's possible to add a version of the EPS without fairings purely thru editing the part.cfg, it shouldn't cause any measurable performance reduction of any kind whatsoever.

If there's a way of doing it through .cfg edits then I'll be perfectly happy with that. I tried removing the "ModuleJettison" and setting isFairing to False but neither did what I wanted.

-Yogui

2 things that have always bothered me:

1. Do you ever plan on making a cruise stage for your Thor/Phoenix Lander?

2. Will you ever add a Heat Shield/Backshell compatible with your MER/Tetrahedron shell?

Not a huge deal but with the addition of the ULA systems I'd love for these two details to complete the package!

Wow,you're going to make all 4? That's gonna be a lot of work,but i think it'll be great in the end :)

Ariane 1 to 3 are very similar, except on SRBs . Ariane 4 is just a little larger with more boosters.

Ahh...SRBs...well anyway, are those SRBs gimballed or how did they get into position?And also, we dont really HAVE to use the fairings, do we?:P

SRBs have gimballed engines. You don't really have to use fairings.

To make EPS with no fairings, just remove these lines:
node_stack_fairingBig1 = 0.0, 16.7, 0.0, 0, 1, 0, 2
node_stack_fairingBig2 = 0.0, 16.7, 0.0, 0, 1, 0, 2
node_stack_fairingSmall1 = 0.0, 12.3, 0.0, 0, 1, 0, 2
node_stack_fairingSmall2 = 0.0, 12.3, 0.0, 0, 1, 0, 2

. It will remove the fairing stack nodes. In reallity, fairings are just radial decouplers stacked to the tops nodes of EPS.

If there's a way of doing it through .cfg edits then I'll be perfectly happy with that. I tried removing the "ModuleJettison" and setting isFairing to False but neither did what I wanted.

ModuleJettison is for the engine shroud, jettisoned with the lower stage.

-Yogui

2 things that have always bothered me:

1. Do you ever plan on making a cruise stage for your Thor/Phoenix Lander?

2. Will you ever add a Heat Shield/Backshell compatible with your MER/Tetrahedron shell?

Not a huge deal but with the addition of the ULA systems I'd love for these two details to complete the package!

That's doable but I'll do it with the next cycle update of all mods.

ModuleJettison is for the engine shroud, jettisoned with the lower stage.

Ah, I guess I misspoke. What I want to remove is the engine shroud. I tried deleting that section from the .cfg but that just made the shroud permanently visible.

Ah, I guess I misspoke. What I want to remove is the engine shroud. I tried deleting that section from the .cfg but that just made the shroud permanently visible.

Ok, I get it now. I can make an EPS without shroud, it's easy.

This project is being working on by MDBenson, WCOLE360, and Yogui87, sponsored 100% by LH Aerospace

This is a project to make a realistic replica of the Mars Transfer Vehicle and eventually it's landers, and maybe after that it's rovers, but here's what we have so far, yogui and I will post development pictures as we get them.

Here is the current design image, referenced from a Constellation Program Animation:

OHFRThj.jpg

NOTICE: THE PROPULSION STAGE IS CUT OUT, REFERENCE IT IN THE IMAGE BELOW

Here are the pieces of the project we will complete:

k5tTRby.png

What we currently have has been redone 100% in favor for a better modeling.

Some features of the project will be

list:

Built in RCS

Specialized Inflatable Habitat, eventually if I can talk to my contact in NASA, possibly an interior!

Front Docking Port Made for Orion

Bottom Utility Docking Port for a second orion, or eventually the Mars Ascent Vehicle.

Special Modular Docking Port

SADDLE TRUSSES

Drop Tank for spent fuel stage

Deployable Solar Panels

Deployable Antennas

If the first part of this project goes well, we will do the Cargo Lander and Crewed Lander that go with it.

This will all be launched on Bobcat Ind.s Ares 5 Launcher.

Modelling and Texturing: Yogui87

CFGs and Primary Testing: WCOLE360

Testing/Bug Grinding: MDBenson

More information to come soon!

Due to reasons I've been told not to mention this project is temporarily delayed.

Edited by WCOLE360

Thanks for helping out with this, I really want to see it happen but could never have done it any proper justice alone. I don't have any 3D modelling skills!

Just an FYI, BobCat already has the NASA Constellation LEV vehicle in work which was slated to be used on the Mars landings also. That's one less rover vehicle we need to make ;)

It's a big project but hopefully we can make it modular so people can use it to get around the solar system. Add extra fuel tanks to get to Jool, anyone? Just going to Mun or Minimus? Drop the centre stage out and dock Altair to the lower docking port! I am glad you are looking at the landers too. My attempts to build analogues in the game using mod parts have been... limited in their usefulness :\

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.