Gear engine thingy

Yeah, best description I could come up with. It works pretty well though even if the teeth stick a little.

tc2zKyO.jpg

uncbMy9.jpg

0TdCXXq.jpg

The engines rotate the central shaft, which is open both ends and the gears turn the vertical side shaft in opposite directions. The big gears have 24 teeth and the small gears have 12 so it should double the rotation speed of the vertical shafts. Simply press space to decouple the shafts and throttle up.

61.3 tons and 489 parts. So probably useless for building a craft out of, but that's never stopped me before. :D

Download here.

Hope you like it. The main innovation is making a bearing design that is open both ends.

I should add that you need infinite fuel turned on as I didn't add any fuel tanks. XD

Great stuff! Reminds me of my dual turboshaft-trying-to-rotate-a-rotor-shaft experiment from last March.

Until Unity/KSP gets mature collider behaviour, we won't be able to do anything with this, I'm afraid.

But I'll examine it when I get home tomorrow.

Yeah, the large separators, they are the best part you can use for a very smooth running bearing, but they are quite large... :\ The second best being the structural fuselages like you have in the later pics.

IMO, for gear teeth, I find the white "small hardpoints" to be the best ones. They do not hang up or bind easily, and only slip every once in a while if the bearing has too much play in it. I've gotten them spinning at some pretty high RPM's without failure, even making a syncro helicopter(syncropter) using them to keep the crossing blades mostly in sequence. It was not completely reliable due to the bearings having too much play in them.

So if someone manages a crankshaft, Kerbal Absolutely-enormous-8-billion-part-internal-combustion-engine Program?

KHTRE a Russian ksp builder already made an ice. Have a look on youtube. I'll post a link when I get home.

Edited by erasmusguy

You mean that silly thing that used a lot of welding, was huge and heavy and couldn't run without launch stabilizers. He told me he was going to drive a car with it, but eventually he gave up, the engine just didn't deliver the needed power.

The only thing I need is an ignition system. Watch this, made it almost a year ago. Too bad I didn't record it while driving but I was switching ignition with action groups and that was very stressful (wrong timing, then the engine stalled).

And a stock variant, first experiment. Again no welding, no launch stabilizers.

Nowadays I need only a fraction of that amount of parts.

Edited by Azimech

You mean that silly thing that used a lot of welding, was huge and heavy and couldn't run without launch stabilizers. He told me he was going to drive a car with it, but eventually he gave up, the engine just didn't deliver the needed power.

The only thing I need is an ignition system. Watch this, made it almost a year ago. Too bad I didn't record it while driving but I was switching ignition with action groups and that was very stressful (wrong timing, then the engine stalled).

Awesome, I'm going to try making a car powered by one of your turboshafts to try and prepare for when someone manages to make a really practical ICE. Which is your lowest part/smallest turbine?

yeah that sounds like the one. Never realised it was supposed to be for a car though.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.