Homemade Scramjet Engine (kinda)

SshockK

Hey Kerbalnauts :)

I just need help to make a Scramjet engine by modifying gamefiles and i can't manage to find how to make the engine activate when it has a certain amount of intake air.

I also don't know how to change the model or make a new model with texturing or even the effects and all that so i'll appreciate help from anyone that knows how to.

These problems might have already been solved (KSP community is not tiny as it once was) so yeah

I think i'll post it here once i'm done making it.

Hey Kerbalnauts :)

I just need help to make a Scramjet engine by modifying gamefiles and i can't manage to find how to make the engine activate when it has a certain amount of intake air.

I also don't know how to change the model or make a new model with texturing or even the effects and all that so i'll appreciate help from anyone that knows how to.

These problems might have already been solved (KSP community is not tiny as it once was) so yeah

I think i'll post it here once i'm done making it.

It is slightly more complicated than you might think, the characteristics of the scramjet engine depend on the thrust curve, which should mean that scramjets should have much higher performance at high speeds and altitudes, where the atmosphere is thinner. As for the amount of intake air, i am not sure of a way to do what you are describing directly, but take a look at the atmcurve of the engine. This curve determines the performance and efficiency of the engine at different altitudes, therefore different amounts of air present. As for modifying and generating these curves, take a look at FloatCurve Editor 1.0, it is a unity plugin that allows you to make floatcurves (thrust and atmcurves) for use in the config file of the scramjet engine.

Hope this helps! :)

EDIT: Floatcurve editor: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/83246

Edited by Whizzkid

It is slightly more complicated than you might think, the characteristics of the scramjet engine depend on the thrust curve, which should mean that scramjets should have much higher performance at high speeds and altitudes, where the atmosphere is thinner. As for the amount of intake air, i am not sure of a way to do what you are describing directly, but take a look at the atmcurve of the engine. This curve determines the performance and efficiency of the engine at different altitudes, therefore different amounts of air present. As for modifying and generating these curves, take a look at FloatCurve Editor 1.0, it is a unity plugin that allows you to make floatcurves (thrust and atmcurves) for use in the config file of the scramjet engine.

Hope this helps! :)

thx a lot but how do i use this plugin?

is it meant to be opened in KSP (.DLL) or is it just a program (.EXE) ?

also i'm new to doing this kind of stuff so i don't know the advanced parameters of the game (i still can't figure out how to put a Mk3 spaceplane into orbit without using infinite fuel)

still thx for the help.:)

thx a lot but how do i use this plugin?

is it meant to be opened in KSP (.DLL) or is it just a program (.EXE) ?

also i'm new to doing this kind of stuff so i don't know the advanced parameters of the game (i still can't figure out how to put a Mk3 spaceplane into orbit without using infinite fuel)

still thx for the help.:)

This plugin is meant to be opened in unity, you can read more about it in the forum thread.

I don't know any tips, but software you can use is photoshop/GIMP (For texture creation), blender for modelling and unity for putting it all together.

Edited by Whizzkid
photoshop aint free duh

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.