425t SSTO

Neotician

At first i was messing around, then i decided not to quit until i got a 400+ Ton craft in orbit, Single Stage!

It is not optimized, at all. It's balanced enough to fly when mostly empty, but there's a lot of waste weight (read over 10,000 spare liquid fuel)

Anyhow, hope you like it!

nFGiB4E.png

HX8bE2v.png

BrGhSSt.jpg

ow8W2nK.png

No nuclear drives? You may have gone who knew where? You may have actually deprived Jeb of an adventure! For shame...

Just kiddin. Never thought someone would use Mammoths on an SSTO.

He isn't the only one!

I'm still working on this one, trying to make it more reliable on the landing strip. So far I've only successfully landed safely once. Launches like a rocket, lands like a plane, takes 80 tons along for the ride, on the power of three mammoths.

It DOES have LVN's but unfortunately they translate to less range than you might wish for, since the darn thing is still over 150 tons completely emptied. The curse of an SSTO, is that shedding tanks is against the rules. The seven jets on this craft are purely to allow it enough flying capability to land.

kui5jH8.jpg

That plane is spectacular, though. Thanks to partscount and structural issues, I wouldn't even try to make a jet-fueled plane that size!

Edited by Camaron

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.