Gryphon Interplanetary: A Realism Overhaul playthrough

Ravenchant

You know that feeling when you stumble upon a TV show, or book series, or webcomic, and there's a large backlog of content that you can pore over all at once? Yeah, this is not it, mostly because of lacking quality.

The series started half a year ago, but only ever posted on Reddit because of... reasons unknown to mankind. I have no intention of stopping anytime soon, but the first 18 parts are out and I hope you will forgive me for unceremoniously dumping them here :P

Oh, and I'd suggest opening the albums in Imgur. Half the text is left out when embedded and the display size, all around, is weird.

- - - Updated - - -

Edited by Ravenchant

Alrighty then, I'll post them here. Hope you don't mind.

1) What happened to the carrier craft after you switched to the HF-6?

2) What engine powered the HF?

3) Why doesn't the HF use parachutes?

4) Which mod has those awesome folding landing legs?

5) I love the informative sections.

6) What are those long grey rods on the 'Chenai'?

7) I can hardly wait for more. When's more?

1) There's a probe core inside so it can fly unmanned, so no lives are lost when it inevitably gets unloaded.

2) XLR-11. It's a bit underpowered.

3) X-1 didn't use them either

4) For the plane? That would be [Adjustable landing gear.](http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/99660-1-0-Adjustable-Landing-Gear-v1-2-0-%28mass-cost-scaling-tech-nodes-drag%29-May-30)

5) Thank you! I'm constantly afraid of getting things wrong...

6) the RPWS instrument from the DMagic science mod looks like that when deployed.

7) Oof...Tuesday evening, maybe?

Wow fantastic designs. You sure this isn't the Mark Watney space program? Lol I got that vibe in the narration.

Thanks, it's always good to hear people like it! As for Watney... in what way? =D

Edited by Ravenchant

Alrighty then, I'll post them here. Hope you don't mind.

1) What happened to the carrier craft after you switched to the HF-6?

2) What engine powered the HF?

3) Why doesn't the HF use parachutes?

4) Which mod has those awesome folding landing legs?

5) I love the informative sections.

6) What are those long grey rods on the 'Chenai'?

7) I can hardly wait for more. When's more?

1) There's a probe core inside so it can fly unmanned, so no lives are lost when it inevitably gets unloaded.

2) XLR-11. It's a bit underpowered.

3) X-1 didn't use them either

4) For the plane? That would be [Adjustable landing gear.](http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/99660-1-0-Adjustable-Landing-Gear-v1-2-0-%28mass-cost-scaling-tech-nodes-drag%29-May-30)

5) Thank you! I'm constantly afraid of getting things wrong...

6) the RPWS instrument from the DMagic science mod looks like that when deployed.

7) Oof...Tuesday evening, maybe?

Thanks, it's always good to hear people like it! As for Watney... in what way? =D

Nope :)

Just the overall tone i could say and the subtle use of profanity :P I really enjoyed it cant wait for more. I really have to start documenting my sessions as well. Ive accomplished so much in this game and ive got nothing to show for it :(

So I promised part 20 would be done by Wednesday and...well, I did upload the images, but couldn't find the time for the text earlier. Here it is though:

Just the overall tone i could say and the subtle use of profanity :P I really enjoyed it cant wait for more. I really have to start documenting my sessions as well. Ive accomplished so much in this game and ive got nothing to show for it :(

It's a balance between being a foul mouth and not wanting to receive infractions :D As for recording/screenshotting etc., go for it! Sharing is like half the fun.

It's like Christmas arrives several times a year.

-I like how accidents and failure happen and carry over in the 'storyline'. It makes it all the more realistic.

-I love the use of fairings on the Biosat.

-What does the Biosat's capsule (the part you left in space) contain?

-If the return capsule is only carrying very-low-maintenance life forms and does not need any form of avionics, why the battery problems? :sticktongue:

-What are the panels on top the recovered Biosat capsule?

-It is very possible to do a direct Lunar injection from Hammaguir. See: My own career in signature (http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/134788-RSS-RO-RP-0-Algerian-Aerospace-Program%21-Alternative-History-Year-1959) You just have to wait for them to line up ;)

-The screenshot for the Metis separation from the final stage is very unclear: bright background and tiny craft.

-I'd have liked a screenshot just before impact.

-The carrier plane for the HF-7 seems to be the future workhorse for your aircraft designs. I like it. Especially the canted tail.

-However, the HF-7's wing placement is atrocious :( Where are the razor-thin wings? The all-moving tailplane?

-Awesome job with that test rig. Even the little burners on the side :D

Ha, thank you for being a loyal watcher :)

-What does the Biosat's capsule (the part you left in space) contain?

Mostly batteries, RCS fuel and, uh, oxygen bottles and CO2 scrubbing equipment, I guess. There's also an Infernal robotics rotatron that should have spun the capsule up prior to decoupling, but it didn't want to function.

-If the return capsule is only carrying very-low-maintenance life forms and does not need any form of avionics, why the battery problems?

There is a probe core inside, I needed some way to separate the heat shield :P

-It is very possible to do a direct Lunar injection from Hammaguir.

Well yes, but you need to use a dogleg maneuver. Otherwise you end up 2° off or so.

-The screenshot for the Metis separation from the final stage is very unclear: bright background and tiny craft.

That's why I'm installing Rareden's skybox, it should prevent such blunders in the future :wink:

-I'd have liked a screenshot just before impact.

Yikes, it's a bit too late for that. The screenshot folder was purged after submitting :/

-However, the HF-7's wing placement is atrocious

Agreed! I could say that due to its low thrust, it's quite a bit slower than the X-15 on ascent, so maybe the shape and drag are a little less important, but the truth is... I just went with the first thing that worked. It will be redesigned :)

Good stuff! Enjoyed the last entry. New skybox you say? I must recommend 5th Horsemans. You just have to rename the files for Texture Replacer. Imo it is the best, most realistic skybox available for KSP. Been using it myself since the days of Universe Replacer. I've yet to find a better one.

Thanks for the link! I must say, it looks more "real" and the reduced RAM footprint is a welcome bonus. So this one it is :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.