Mars Colony Transport Go!

I saw this article this morning and was expecting to see Dragon Capsules on Duna everywhere

http://www.iflscience.com/space/how-spacex-plans-land-mars

Why is this in the exchange?

Also, lol.

I should elaborate on that LOL.

That pod will never be used to land people on Mars. And the fact that they cant even land something on Earth doesn't fill one with confidence. Yes I know, baby steps and all that but this is a company not a government organization.

If it will take NASA until the 2030's Space X will most likely never achieve this goal. I am of course basing this on nothing but my hazy logic so I could be wrong. I have, however learned to trust my instincts.

And to that end I would be willing to bet that Space X will not land anything on Mars in my lifetime.

Edited by Majorjim

If it will take NASA until the 2030's Space X will most likely never achieve this goal. I am of course basing this on nothing but my hazy logic so I could be wrong. I have, however learned to trust my instincts.

No one can land anyone on Mars without nuclear propulsion. Either nuclear-thermal, like the NERVA and Timberwind engines, or nuclear-electric, like SNAP + VASIMR. The dV is too great to do it by chemical rockets. You simply spend way too much time in a high-rad environment. Of course, there is the alternative of a nuclear-pulse engine, like Project Orion but that's a remote possibility.

The amount of time you spend in the high rad environment would depend on the quality of your shielding and the amount you are willing to take. Older Astronauts who have already fathered children might be willing to take a higher dose than young astronauts. The research seems to indicate better shielding is on the way. This has some discussion around an earlier physics article that led to a patent and work with Boeing and others.

http://space.stackexchange.com/questions/3772/how-much-power-would-a-spacecrafts-magnetic-shield-require

No one can land anyone on Mars without nuclear propulsion. Either nuclear-thermal, like the NERVA and Timberwind engines, or nuclear-electric, like SNAP + VASIMR. The dV is too great to do it by chemical rockets. You simply spend way too much time in a high-rad environment. Of course, there is the alternative of a nuclear-pulse engine, like Project Orion but that's a remote possibility.

It's absolutely possible. You just need more of it, it's not like chemical engines stop working out past the moon.

It's absolutely possible. You just need more of it, it's not like chemical engines stop working out past the moon.

I think he is saying in a timeframe that doesn't give you cancer. Like The Martian using a Vasimir drive to thrust all the way for a 39 day transit. I agree that it is possible to get the required dV to get there quick enough with chemical rockets, but then theres stopping, it all starts to add up to a massive transfer vehicle.

I think he is saying in a timeframe that doesn't give you cancer. Like The Martian using a Vasimir drive to thrust all the way for a 39 day transit. I agree that it is possible to get the required dV to get there quick enough with chemical rockets, but then theres stopping, it all starts to add up to a massive transfer vehicle.

You don't need to get there in a few weeks to be safe. The risk is super low-level anyway (a smoker's risk of cancer goes down if he goes to Mars but doesn't smoke), except for CMEs, and that's solved by just having a storm shelter shielded by water/supplies.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.