[Bug] Docking Port Setting 'Disable Crossfeed' Ignored by Jet Engines

The setting 'Disable Crossfeed' on docking ports is ignored by jet engines. That means for example that a transport space plane drains fuel from it's payload and if user doesn't notice it it might end in a big unnecessary and unwanted surprise.

And when this gets fixed finally also let this setting be preset already in VAB/SPH and save and restore the current state of the crossfeed setting also in the savegame. Geezus!

The setting 'Disable Crossfeed' on docking ports is ignored by jet engines. That means for example that a transport space plane drains fuel from it's payload and if user doesn't notice it it might end in a big unnecessary and unwanted surprise.

And when this gets fixed finally also let this setting be preset already in VAB/SPH and save and restore the current state of the crossfeed setting also in the savegame. Geezus!

Would be nice to see tweakable on docking ports

It's the same for monopropellant and always has been. It has been said before, it isn't a bug. Just disable your payload's tanks.

Not a bug, more of a negative feature. You could put a million fuel flow breaking decouplers between your plane and your payload and you would still get to orbit with empty payload tanks. Something is clearly wrong there, that shouldn't happen. That's the main issue, that fuel crossfeed isn't respected by STAGE_PRIORITY_FLOW. If crossfeed is set to false on any part, fuel should never crossfeed, it's simple. To have common cases where fuel does crossfeed causes confusion and frustration. You can post workarounds and fixes and whatever, but that's no solution at all, it's a workaround to a problem that shouldn't exist.

So, not a bug, just a very poorly implmented 'feature'.

I report it as a bug because IT IS A BUG! When I disable crossfeed this applies to EVERYTHING inclusive electric power, rcs and orange juice! When the program doesn't obey to it's own properties then they can remove the disable crossfeed stuff completely, it makes no sense. I know I can lock the tanks but whats the point? It's plain and simple the usual brainless lazyness and slopyness of SQUAD devs and their QA process, nothing else.

Why would i want to disable all resources on a payload when i can have this with disabling crossfeed on the docking port? Thats what it has been implemented for and it would really be nice if that would get fixed after 2 years so that it actually works as intended.

NB, this actually worked pre 1.0 when there was still the old logic for draining fuel by jet engines (same logic as for rockets), at least for fuel and it would speed up the process of searching for resources because the search resources sub can stop executing that branch of a model when crossfeed is locked.

Edited by DocMoriarty

• 2 weeks later...

I'm gonna agree with the good Doc here... If I click Disable Crossfeed on a docking port, I would EXPECT that to be respected by the game. If it is not respected by the game, then the game is suffering from BAD DESIGN!

With all the code rewrites happening for the transition to Unity 5, planned for 1.1, I HOPE that this issue gets resolved! Saying to disable crossfeed on your tanks is simply NOT a solution for highly specialized landing vessels that use numerous small tanks to keep a compact profile, or for landers inside fairings or cargo bays. where the act of re-enabling them for use/disabling them for stowing would be exceptionally tedious. Clicking a docking port and selecting disable crossfeed SHOULD be all we need to do.

It takes a LOT of gall to say "this is not a bug"! This is simply coding that has not even addressed a major issue. It IS a bug, in so much as the programmers have yet to even address the fault! It's NOT a feature.

My temporary solution has been to use the GPOSpeedFuelPump mod, the descendant of the good old classic Goodspeed Fuel Pump. It lets you set pumping levels and enable automatic pumping and balancing. This means, if i set my lander to level 0, my orbital platform to level 1, and my stages kept subsequently higher levels, then I can have the GPO maintain the levels of my lander's tanks, simply by being docked with the orbital platform or launcher.

Edited by richfiles

It takes a LOT of gall to say "this is not a bug"! This is simply coding that has not even addressed a major issue. It IS a bug, in so much as the programmers have yet to even address the fault! It's NOT a feature.

I think the term we're looking for here is "misfeature".

My take on this is why not make most spaceplane components act as bidirectional fuel ducts and use rocket-type fuel flow dynamics for jets?

If "disable crossfeed" DOESN'T do this, then what DOES it do?

It disables crossfeed for engines which use STACK_PRIORITY_SEARCH for fuel flow, namely all rocket engines aside from the Rapier and O-10. I believe the ISRU part uses the same flow rules, too, so it is affected by disabling crossfeed.

• 11 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.