[1.1.3] MKS Lite - A lighter, friendlier colonization mod from USI [0.4.4]

RoverDude

May also be MKS/UKS and not just MKS Lite, but: What's the correct use for the Sunflower Portable Light kits? They can't be KAS attached. They don't have enough battery power to keep lights going through all of a dark side, making them not very useful as area-lights. Most annoying (to me), they act as a separate vessel, so if you deploy them on their own, they all show up in the Tracking Station, cluttering it up. You can 'fix' that by moving them to Debris or something, but it's still kind of a hack.

After 1.1 updates, EPL uses rocket parts again, not specialized parts/material kit. Is there any way that I can revert this editing something here? I'd rather use the ore -> specialized parts/material kit instead of smelting metal ore and so on. 

Thanks!

Edited by Crabman

Hi RoveDude, so I'm planning to start some bases using MKS lite with the ultimate goal to switch over to the non lite version eventually, just don't want to overwhelm myself with first bases, EPL, USI life support, KIS and KAS all first time lol. I saw it said when you switch over that the mks lite stuff will stop working. Is it simply that I can no longer build it or will I have to be ready to launch missions to switch all the bases?

39 minutes ago, PortableGoogle said:

Hi RoveDude, so I'm planning to start some bases using MKS lite with the ultimate goal to switch over to the non lite version eventually, just don't want to overwhelm myself with first bases, EPL, USI life support, KIS and KAS all first time lol. I saw it said when you switch over that the mks lite stuff will stop working. Is it simply that I can no longer build it or will I have to be ready to launch missions to switch all the bases?

If you plan on using MKS in the future I'd just bite the bullet.  All of the parts in MKS-L are also in MKS so you can start with small, mostly infltatable bases with MKS.  The resource chain is more complex but not that bad.

Is there any way to hide resources like Minerals, Substrate and others? Because I'm using MKS-Lite and don't like all these resources that I don't need appearing at my scanners.

On 4/20/2016 at 10:27 AM, Crabman said:

After 1.1 updates, EPL uses rocket parts again, not specialized parts/material kit. Is there any way that I can revert this editing something here? I'd rather use the ore -> specialized parts/material kit instead of smelting metal ore and so on. 

Thanks!

Grab the configs from UKS - tho I need to take a bit of a holistic peek on things, and see if I can sort a better upgrade path.

14 hours ago, PortableGoogle said:

The old parts will not be available, old bases will still work tho.

13 hours ago, goldenpsp said:

If you plan on using MKS in the future I'd just bite the bullet.  All of the parts in MKS-L are also in MKS so you can start with small, mostly infltatable bases with MKS.  The resource chain is more complex but not that bad.

Agree :)  I'm doing some noodling on this front tho.

17 minutes ago, Crabman said:

Is there any way to hide resources like Minerals, Substrate and others? Because I'm using MKS-Lite and don't like all these resources that I don't need appearing at my scanners.

Nope, part of CRP.  You can choose to just ignore them tho

On 4/18/2016 at 5:50 PM, ibanix said:

May also be MKS/UKS and not just MKS Lite, but: What's the correct use for the Sunflower Portable Light kits? They can't be KAS attached. They don't have enough battery power to keep lights going through all of a dark side, making them not very useful as area-lights. Most annoying (to me), they act as a separate vessel, so if you deploy them on their own, they all show up in the Tracking Station, cluttering it up. You can 'fix' that by moving them to Debris or something, but it's still kind of a hack.

So the sunflower light, in order to have the option to turn it on i had to control the "vessel". I noticed cause it said there was a base on the mun, when i clicked fly it turned out to be the sunflower i had put down and now i had to the option to turn it on. 

• 2 weeks later...

Roverdude, I have to say this first. Your attention to detail and depth in the mods you have made for KSP are astounding!

Alright, so here is something I ran into today.

I did a fresh install of KSP, installed all of the latest revisions of the mods I like to run. I just dropped my starting base pod on Minmus so I could start building out a new base. The pod has material kits and specialized parts ready to go for Extraplanetary Launchpads. You probably know where this is going now....

EPL wants rocketparts, I have material kits.

HELP!!!

"grab a config from UKS" is a start, but could you be a bit more specific?

Also:

I have used the full version of MKS for quite some time and had a self supporting base on Duna and Minmus. I now favor the lite version of MKS due to it's simplicity. I am sure there are others that have made a similar decision. I would love to have access to your launchpad again. It's currently not available in the lite version. Would you consider throwing us lite guys a bone and including it?

Thank you again for some of the best mods available.

On 4/25/2016 at 10:13 AM, RoverDude said:

Grab the configs from UKS - tho I need to take a bit of a holistic peek on things, and see if I can sort a better upgrade path.

Can someone help. I am trying to get MKS Lite to let me build things in Extraplanetary Launchpads and use material kits and specialized parts instead of rocketparts. 

So far I have had no success in moving "configs from UKS" to get this to work.

A bit of guidance would be wonderful.

2 hours ago, Dr Farnsworth said:

Can someone help. I am trying to get MKS Lite to let me build things in Extraplanetary Launchpads and use material kits and specialized parts instead of rocketparts. 

So far I have had no success in moving "configs from UKS" to get this to work.

A bit of guidance would be wonderful.

I believe the file you need is the 'EL_USI.cfg' file in UmbraSpaceIndustries/UKS.  (I may be wrong, and you may need more than just that.)

0.4.3 - 2016.05.14
------------------
Dependency Updates
Small dirt drill moved to Advanced Construction 
Adjusted living space parameter for the hab modules
All parts no longer have duplicate catalog entries, and are only available in the kolonization category.
Updated TAC-LS patch from speedwaystar

The Habitation Module does not show that it can hold any crew in the VAB; the parts list in the wiki says it holds 4 Kerbals

I landed a base with a "scout" colony hub, command pod, and habitation module - inflated the module, but my contract for a Minmus base supporting 5 Kerbals would not complete.

52 minutes ago, Balrog said:

The Habitation Module does not show that it can hold any crew in the VAB; the parts list in the wiki says it holds 4 Kerbals

I landed a base with a "scout" colony hub, command pod, and habitation module - inflated the module, but my contract for a Minmus base supporting 5 Kerbals would not complete.

You have 2 choices.

1. you have to inflate all modules prior to launching.  The contract checks at time of launch, and since the inflatable show no crew capacity deflated it fails the check.  Once you do this you can actually deflate them again and you don't lose the check for the contract.  So yes even once landed at minmus your contract would complete without re-inflating the modules.   So if you design can handle it, inflate, launch, deflate on the launchpad, fire engines

2. Say F it, hit ALT-F12 and force the contract complete.  IMO I've satisfied the contract even if the system is being stupid.