Well, I can't wait for 1.1... Time for Linux.

CoriW

Hello fellow Kerbals,

Over the last couple days I've been exploring the Add-On Releases forum, and after my adventures I have come to the conclusion that I can't run my game anymore with the amount of mods I want to have. To top that off I flat out refuse to sacrifice graphical quality, or mods to solve the RAM problem... So I've now finally turned to Dual Booting Linux just to play KSP, since I've heard Linux 64-bit version of KSP is stable. KSP 1.1 probably isn't far away and will likely fix this issue for Windows but I can't wait, if this isn't a Mod addiction I don't know what is.

I hope you understand you are sacrificing graphical quality by moving to Linux. Microsoft DirectX = Windows Only, OpenGL is less visually capable than DirectX (though it does perform a little better, at least for DirectX 9 comparisons).

Edited by Alshain

^ I can't speak for the quality of OpenGL on Linux, but using forceopengl on Windows for me only sacrifices AA, which for me has never been a deal breaker visually. And it enables me to pack on quite a bit of mods, both visual and otherwise.

^ I can't speak for the quality of OpenGL on Linux' date=' but using forceopengl on Windows for me only sacrifices AA, which for me has never been a deal breaker visually. And it enables me to pack on quite a bit of mods, both visual and otherwise.[/quote']

Well see, lack of AA for me is a deal breaker lol. Just difference of opinion I guess, but I like smooth lines.

I hope you understand you are sacrificing graphical quality by moving to Linux. Microsoft DirectX = Windows Only, OpenGL is less visually capable than DirectX (though it does perform a little better, at least for DirectX 9 comparisons).

Right so I just finished getting Linux to dual boot on my system... After only 6 and a half hours. As for the part about OpenGL I was already using forceopengl on Windows because it enabled me to stack twice as many mods into my game, though that still wasn't enough which is why I moved to Linux. xD

EDIT: 82 Mods and counting

Edited by CoriW

I use Linux. Here's a screenshot of my station above the Mun, is it really that bad? http://i.imgur.com/kxK2eXs.jpg

Hey how many mods do you use? Have you ever had any mod compatibility issues on Linux? By any chance do you use State Funding, as I've been getting an error with it since I switched to Linux... Then again I also installed 20 new mods when I switched to Linux so it could be that as well.

Hey how many mods do you use? Have you ever had any mod compatibility issues on Linux? By any chance do you use State Funding, as I've been getting an error with it since I switched to Linux... Then again I also installed 20 new mods when I switched to Linux so it could be that as well.

I run about 40-50 mods, I don't have an exact count.. And the only mod I have any sort of issue with is KAS, and I'm not even sure if that's a Linux problem- I just have 5 of every KAS item appearing in the part catalog in the VAB/SPH.

Well see, lack of AA for me is a deal breaker lol.
If you have an Nvidia card, forcing AA in nvidia-settings works just fine, can't comment on AMD though.
OpenGL is less visually capable than DirectX
I call BS, please provide data to back up that claim.

- - - Updated - - -

Hey how many mods do you use? Have you ever had any mod compatibility issues on Linux? By any chance do you use State Funding

~45.

None at all.

No - what's the error? almost all mods should be platform agnostic, there are very few exceptions and I doubt that is one of them as it packs no native code AFAIK.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not even sure if that's a Linux problem- I just have 5 of every KAS item appearing in the part catalog in the VAB/SPH.
I also run KAS, and have no such problem, so it's not Linux specific - sounds like installation issues to me.

- - - Updated - - -

FWIW, Linux is no silver bullet for running an insane number of mods, there's still a limit somewhere in unitys code - but you probably won't encounter it until you hit ~8GB. :D

Honestly, here's 3 recommendations when 1.1 comes along.

1. Back up 1.04

2. Back up 1.04

3. BACK UP 1.04

If you want to still use mods then that's what I recommend. I have backups as far as .25

- - - Updated - - -

If you don't use mods, then you don't know what you're missing.

I use Linux. Here's a screenshot of my station above the Mun, is it really that bad? http://i.imgur.com/kxK2eXs.jpg

It's completely subjective. To me, it looks really bad, I see jagged edges along the edge of parts and the horizon of the moon. The parts look.. grainy, and seeing as how you are using Ven's that is even more shocking. Part of that could be the Jpeg compression, can you post it in it's original png form?

However, if it doesn't bother you, there is nothing wrong with it.

EDIT: Actually, even my imgur files are converted to Jpeg too and they don't look like that at all. Sharp, crisp colors, smooth lines.

YsBvGW0.jpg

Edited by Alshain

We just did, and you responded to it. (By the way, Driver forced AA is often a bad idea, I don't recommend ever using that).

What, lack of AA in the game engine is "OpenGL is less visually capable"? how is Unitys brokenness the fault of OpenGL?

As for driver forced AA, again - data please. I've been using it for a long time, on both GNU/Linux and Windows - some game engines have a problem with it, some pretty much require it for decent AA. It's not like it's going to eat your cat for trying.

I can attest that per-application graphics settings at the driver level are perfectly fine on Linux, perhaps Linux and OpenGL are a little more stable than what some are used to with other platforms.

As I recall from my Windows days, forcing any graphics driver options was hit or miss as to whether it would actually work with any given program, I have not run into this yet with Linux.

It also offers more control than those exposed by the Unity engine, which is a nice bonus :)

^ I can't speak for the quality of OpenGL on Linux' date=' but using forceopengl on Windows for me only sacrifices AA, which for me has never been a deal breaker visually. And it enables me to pack on quite a bit of mods, both visual and otherwise.[/quote']

Were you unable to get AA working in OGL mode, or did you choose not to use it?

Cause I had difficulties getting AA to work properly on my AMD card in OGL, trick was to run KSP in windowed boderless fullscreen with the -popupwindow command, after this forced AA through AMD control panel did work. This simple thing, windowed borderless fullscreen, took me 4 month figure out xD

Now I only sacrifice fps performance, due to OGL not being that effecient on (older) AMD cards compared to nVidia.

What, lack of AA in the game engine is "OpenGL is less visually capable"? how is Unitys brokenness the fault of OpenGL?

As for driver forced AA, again - data please. I've been using it for a long time, on both GNU/Linux and Windows - some game engines have a problem with it, some pretty much require it for decent AA. It's not like it's going to eat your cat for trying.

It's called context. Who here on the KSP forums cares if OpenGL is better for Half-Life 2 or not? With context to KSP, OpenGL is less capable than DirectX. I shouldn't have to state that I'm referring to KSP, which uses Unity, on the KSP forums. And yes, lack of Anti Aliasing is less visual capability.

Forcing AA at the driver level has been known to cause issues, it isn't a secret.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/anti-aliasing-nvidia-geforce-amd-radeon,2868-7.html

Edited by Alshain

Honestly, here's 3 recommendations when 1.1 comes along.

1. Back up 1.04

2. Back up 1.04

3. BACK UP 1.04

If you want to still use mods then that's what I recommend. I have backups as far as .25

- - - Updated - - -

If you don't use mods, then you don't know what you're missing.

I just hope we get an adequate heads up when it will released. Been hearing its pretty close. Don't want steam to update before I get a chance to save my most recent progress.

Driver AA works as expected, at least up to 8xMSAA. I haven't tried anything higher as this looks fine. I too cannot stand jaggies. ;)

If performance is an issue FXAA works too, though it's not as effective.

Worth noting that if AA is forced in the driver AF must be too, otherwise things look... interesting.

Edited by steve_v

I'd still like to see it. Usually when you apply driver settings for AA, it does it post render so by applying a filter to everything, instead of the lines, which can cause other things to look strange, like textures. Unity knows where the lines are because it is drawing them, it uses DirectX/OpenGL to draw them, so it know right where to use the AA. It's not always noticeable, depends on the game, but it is noticeable when I did it with force-opengl.

By the way, anything greater than 4X isn't necessary unless you have a really big monitor at a really low resolution. If it's 1080p you are good up to at least 30 inches with just 4X, I don't play KSP on the big screen, but other games I've played look fine on my 50" LED with 4X only.

Edited by Alshain

You may be right, this depends on the game engine. I would however need to install Windows to have a valid frame of reference for engine vs. driver AA comparison. This is something I really cannot be arsed doing right now (though maybe later, probably when Fallout 4 drops ;)) Driver AA is quite acceptable to me at this stage.

All the same, in-game AA support with OpenGL would be nice, on any platform but Windows OpenGL is the only option. Hopefully this is fixed in U5.

- - - Updated - - -

I can certainly tell the difference between 4x and 8x MSAA (27" LCD @1080p), but it's a matter of taste and the improvement may not be worth the framerate/VRAM hit in some cases.

Nvidia on Linux also offers SSAA & CSAA, or various combinations of, but although they work I have done no real image quality comparisons.

Edited by steve_v

Ive been able to get rid of some aliasing on my install, but it doesn't look nearly as smooth as directX. Theres also the performace hit which is the real deal breaker. Atleast for me. Ive got a Gtx670 and id say theres a 25% framerate hit.

Is this on Windows? (assuming yes as you compare to DirectX) I don't see a significant performance hit with 8xMSAA vs. no AA on Linux (GTX680). I have heard that Unity is slower in OpenGL, though again I have no frame of reference.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.