Martian Inspired Duna mission

Admac

After seeing the Martian this weekend, it seemed like a pretty reasonable mission profile and something that was pretty close to kerbally.

Approximate analogs exist for every major part and operation, since I had KAS, SpaceY and USI mods installed. They had an Ion or Plasma engine in the movie, but I opted for dual NEVRAs, since I didn't have NFT engines installed.

The Hermes had an rotating hab module, which is mirrored roughly in the USI Hab ring, and to ensure I had a surplus of food, I also brought inflateable greenhouse. For a short duration mission like this, a full scale farming operation is a massive overkill, since my Hermes had supplies for several decades.

The tricky part seemed to be getting the tree important parts (Hab, DAV and a rover there at the same time) landed at the same place and time.

I kind of regret not getting more images of the DAV when it was landed, but it's in the foreground of the surface pics.

Vehicles

- Hermes interplanetary ship

- Surface Hab

- Manually assembled external solar array

- Duna Ascent Vehicle, the return ticket to orbit

- Mapping and coms probes x2

To make it more challenging, I've launched them all in one vehicle, and detached them as I went.

On reflection I was almost 1500 DV remaining when I returned to Kerbin, so I may have been able to skip some of the drop tanks in the transit vehicle.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.