Next gen rovers

322997am

Everyone knows that today's rover wheels, in terms of speed SUCK. So I came up with this idea. What if ion engines or basic Jets could be used to power small rovers in order for high speed exploration. I haven't seen much of these on the forum. I will try this at some point I just want suggestions and craft like this posted here.

You should check out the rover from my circumnavigation :P (Link in sig)

Edit: Also, plenty of others have done this as well. It's just not common at the moment because the wheel module is a bit... err... let's say wonky :P It's getting a big upgrade in the next update (or so they say) that should make everything nicer.

But I've used alternatively-powered rovers with some frequency. My most recent one (intended for Duna) is actually propeller-powered, and can handle 30m/s with stability and... not exactly grace, but it works! :P

I've also modified the cfg files for the stock wheels numerous times, to add power, stopping force, better crash tolerance, etc. etc. Pretty simple to do :)

Edited by Slam_Jones

Everyone knows that today's rover wheels, in terms of speed SUCK. So I came up with this idea. What if ion engi... blah blah SNIP

If you mean they suck because the are INSANELY overpowered then I'll agree with you.

The RoveMax Model M1 and TR-2L Ruggedized Vehicular Wheel can reach speeds of about 80kmh (and only break going over 200). Compare that to the real life LRV (Lunar Roving Vehicle). The LRV carried by Apollo 15, 16 and 17 topped out at 13kmh. Spirit and Opportunity on Mars do about 0.3kmh.

Edited by Tex_NL

If you mean they suck because the are INSANELY overpowered then I'll agree with you.

The RoveMax Model M1 and TR-2L Ruggedized Vehicular Wheel can reach speeds of about 80kmh (and only break going over 200). Compare that to the real life LRV (Lunar Roving Vehicle). The LRV carried by Apollo 15, 16 and 17 topped out at 13kmh. Spirit and Opportunity on Mars do about 0.3kmh.

Realistic isn't always fun. In this case, quite the opposite.

You can get terrific results using the standard wheels if you give them a good custom suspension out of stock parts.

This one is driving at night while I sleep in the Elcano Challenge, when I'm watching I sometimes speed him up to 50 - 55 m/s, and I've seen it driving 20 m/s with 5 out of 7 wheels on one side broken.

http://kerbalx.com/Azimech/77I--ALRM1-SE-Amphiphile-Omega

It's kinda interesting you mention ion and basic jet powered rovers, as I was just fiddling with a similar idea last night. I don't have rover wheels in my current career and was trying to figure out how to get a rover fit with airplane wheels. The results were ugly as heck. That's not unexpected for my design though lol.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.