Merge Button cuts vessel in half

Hi all.

I am having a very frustrating experience with merge button.

I am trying to make modular design in my vessels but most of the time it cuts my imported part in half.

Here's a screenshot

vessel_roto.png

The imported part is below the docking port.

The root part of the imported group is the adapter (TVR 400L Stack Quad adapter) on the top wich is attached to the docking port.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance

Zeke

Edited by ezequielandrush

I don't know what's happening with the Merge function. I've never used it.

But I do know that you can't have a quad adapter on both ends of 4 stacks, like you've been trying. Any part you attach, can only ever attach to one node, even if it lines up with several other.

It's a limitation of tree structures, which is how the editor stores craft internally.

Edited by Val
Clarification and link

I think I know what exactly is happening. It is an old window-clicking bug that still exists.

When you click "Accept," etc., or any other button on a window within the building area that subsequently closes that window, you sometimes also "click" the item directly behind the mouse. Say, for example, you click accept on whatever window but that accept button is also hanging directly over a piece of your ship...When you click the accept, as soon as the window goes away, you also pick up that piece and all connected pieces as though you directly clicked that piece, notwithstanding the window and its accept button.

But I noticed secondary click on the background only happens to the item the mouse is hovering over at the time the window closes (after the second+ time it takes for that accept to process), rather than always on the item that is directly under the accept button (or whatever other button, really).

To cure it, I do one of two things:

1) Click the accept or whatever button then quickly drag the mouse to a far side or corner where it won't interact with anything; or

2) Ensure the place behind the button you are about to click does not have any toggleable/dragable things like your spaceship, etc.

Quite possible this is far off from your issue but I am familiar with my issue, stated, and not so much with yours.

I don't know what's happening with the Merge function. I've never used it.

But I do know that you can't have a quad adapter on both ends of 4 stacks, like you've been trying. Any part you attach, can only ever attach to one node, even if it lines up with several other.

It's a limitation of tree structures, which is how the editor stores craft internally.

Sure you can I do it all the time,

Yes there is limitation in regards to connection points but it doesn't mean it can't be done.

To answer the OP's question I don't use merge either BUT.

Build the quad structure first and place any part from the POD FOLDER on the top of it and make that the root part (the Stayputnik is always a good place holder).

Save it.

Grab everything below the Stayputnik module and drop it into the sub-assemblies folder and save it.

Then simply build the top part of your ship then go to the sub-assemblies and click on the previously stored bottom part.

You will note the it connection node for the sub-assembly will be where you removed it from the Stayputnik.

Hope this makes sense and helps

Sure you can I do it all the time,

Yes there is limitation in regards to connection points but it doesn't mean it can't be done.

Well, color me interested. How do you do that?

Because, that would be a really great way to make pseudo 2.5 m LF tanks in stock.

(If it's using docking ports, then I already know)

Hope this helps

http://imgur.com/a/hB2LN

I can't get it to work. :(

Re-rooting it doesn't make a difference. No matter how I do it, only one of the "legs" attaches to the bottom quad adapter.

McHpt3Q.png

Which means it's structurally unsound.

I did every step you pictured, then made the above test rig. Am I missing something?

I have experienced this problem as well.

The work around I've found is to ensure that the root part of the vessel being merged is the initial root.

You can't just change the root via the tool. You need to also detach the rest of the vessel, trash then replace the root part, and reattach the rest of the parts.

If you pick up a subassembly then press 4, you can reroot it.

It was initially intended that when you pressed 4, you would click the craft you wanted to reroot, and while that still works for the main vessel, it broke for the subassemblies, which is why there is confusion over having to click the craft after activating the tool.

But those three nodes on the bottom adapter won't have attached to begin with, so there will be no path through them when rerooting.

Plus this is now page two and no one mentioned struts ?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.