What's your favorite chemical?

Ethanadams

Probably a reasonably large crystal. Hard to get attached to something at the typical molecular size.

Of course after "blowing up" (read two foot flame) cyclohexane in my first chemistry lab, I'll always remember that one.

Everything always comes down to water...

Mine would be sulphur dioxide. You know instantly when there's some present. :D

PS why the heck is my spellcheck freaking out about spelling it "sulphur" rather than "sulfur"?

EDIT: Dangit, upon looking it up I now realize that I meant "hydrogen sulphide". Though I'd assume both would be equally smelly...

Edited by moogoob

If you want favorite chemical, double stranded polydeoxyribonuceic acid. If you want most imporatnt, hydrogen.

If you want life you need stability, if you want stability you need H, alot and some contaminates.

Has to be diethyl ether! It's literately the best non-polar solvent available over the counter. I always keep a few bottles laying around. Removing glue residue, cleaning paint brushes, removing permanent marker writing, getting candle wax out of fabric, you name it. Only downside is that it stinks the place up and the vapors make you drowsy.

Everything always comes down to water...

Mine would be sulphur dioxide. You know instantly when there's some present. :D

PS why the heck is my spellcheck freaking out about spelling it "sulphur" rather than "sulfur"?

EDIT: Dangit, upon looking it up I now realize that I meant "hydrogen sulphide". Though I'd assume both would be equally smelly...

SO2 isn't as smelly as SH2, but it does have a very distinctive odour (Its the smell of a freshly lit match)

Boranes are my favourite, as they are some very powerful acids, as well as being delightfully unstable!

Ozone is pretty cool, but the best is the heme ! A bit complex, but it has all the interesting stuff in a single molecule !

SP³D² hybridation of the (ionized) most stable element in the universe, amusing mesomeric effects, and pretty much necessary for you and me ! :D plus, bloody scenes in action movies would suck without it ^^

Silicon :) I love silicon in all its varieties - from glass to beach sand to semiconductors inside my laptop. I could say carbon too - but since most of me that isn't water contains the carbon, my opinion is biased :P

Those are elements, which can be part of chemicals... but carbon and silicon are not chemicals

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.