[Part] [1.0.4] Inline cockpits expansion

nestor_d

Which look would you prefer, for the Mk1 short cockpit, 2 or 3 windows (like it is now)?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Which look would you prefer, for the Mk1 short cockpit, 2 or 3 windows (like it is now)?

• 2 windows
    • 3 windows

I'm working on this mod. The working title is Generic Inline Cockpits, which isn't a very good name, but that's the general idea. The point is that inline cockpits give you a lot more freedom when it comes to placement and looks than regular ones. When designing jet fighter style planes (armed or not) inline cockpits are very useful, but the stock ones don't always look the part for those kinds of designs (especially the Mk2), and there are a lot of mods that add some cool cockpits, like QuizTech, MasterTech Aero, and FantomWorks, but they're all front placement, and sometimes it's all too evident on what planes they're inspired. I thought it'd be nice to have a greater supply of cockpits, especially ones that look generic enough that work on a lot of designs. Also, I'm going to try to make it very lightweight, using stock textures if possible, or maybe trying to use one texture for all the models. Here are the models so far (I don't think any more are needed, but if someone has an idea that goes well with the concept of the mod, let me know):

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Finally I have wanted some nice mk1 style cokpits. Would you consider making a inline with a .625 front node and an 1.25 back node? With the front extended a meter or so past the front of the window. Something like the Aero L-39 Albatros or the Alenia Aermacchi M-345

I tought about it, but there's a mod that includes a cockpit like the one you speak of, check it out http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/113162-0-90-MK2-Cockpit-Expansion although, this one is a lot less generic, it has in-built intakes and a lot of stuff, so maybe it wouldn't be such a bad idea

I tought about it, but there's a mod that includes a cockpit like the one you speak of, check it out http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/113162-0-90-MK2-Cockpit-Expansion although, this one is a lot less generic, it has in-built intakes and a lot of stuff, so maybe it wouldn't be such a bad idea

Those are mk2 :(

Before you get joined by the iva nuts to do a lot of work makeing new iva stuff that only a small fraction of users actually use I'd like to direct your attention to this little old gem

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/44012-Mk2-Cockpit-Internals

She was redered obsolete by porkjets revamps but she still works just fine ;)

to do a cockpit only mod.... you must take in account the IVA part of it.... do something different and cool... like the B9 mk2 cockpit!! it is different cause the IVA feel is fighter like.

I'm still thinking about that... I mean, of course it'd be really cool, but I really want to keep this one very lightweight, so I was thinking of just using the stock IVAs. The idea of this mod, is more like just adding new possibilities to how can planes look. But it is certainly a possibility for future updates, and I'll keep it in mind.

- - - Updated - - -

Those are mk2 :(

Oh ok! so you mean like a Mk1 to 0.625 size? Actually that's a pretty good idea and I'll got on it right away :D

Before you get joined by the iva nuts to do a lot of work makeing new iva stuff that only a small fraction of users actually use I'd like to direct your attention to this little old gem

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/44012-Mk2-Cockpit-Internals

She was redered obsolete by porkjets revamps but she still works just fine ;)

If you have no desire for IVA functionality why do you care if there is an IVA at all? ASET props and avionics make for a highly functional cockpit please consider using them Nestor. If you decide against making IVA with these props would you consider making the files nessasry to make an IVA available for other to use. I am sure someone with the desire and knowledge would step up to help if the files are available to work from. If you make an IVA that is. Thanks for considering the cockpit I pitched :)

Edited by Svm420

If you have no desire for IVA functionality why do you care if there is an IVA at all? ASET props and avionics make for a highly functional cockpit please consider using them Nestor. If you decide against making IVA with these props would you consider making the files nessasry to make an IVA available for other to use. I am sure someone with the desire and knowledge would step up to help if the files are available to work from. If you make an IVA that is. Thanks for considering the cockpit I pitched :)

I'd care about having an externally decent and stat balanced set of crewed parts stock is all over the place with its numbers and any other mod is more focused on looks than crunching the numbers to deliver a balanced experience. So really I just don't want to see him get bogged down trying to please people who want something new and flashy on the inside like most every mod before him hence why I pointed out the old inline iva mod in order to enable the dev to provide variety without extra work on his part.

If IVA's are his thing that he wants to do then fine I can respect that, but those sort of people are often the exception rather than the rule so in expecting that he doesn't want to take a crash course in interior design and paint a load of flashy set pieces I said what I said.

The two 1.25m cockpits you've showed off are a little inconsistent in style next to the mk2 cockpits. In the MK2 there were 2 glass panes for the single pilot versions and 3 for the two pilot versions, however the 1.25m cockpits both have 3 panes that are just stretched. I think the 1.25m cockpits would look better and be more consistent with the rest of the pack if they followed the pattern of the mk2 cockpits and had two-piece windows for the single pilot variant.

I like what you have so far, though!

The two 1.25m cockpits you've showed off are a little inconsistent in style next to the mk2 cockpits. In the MK2 there were 2 glass panes for the single pilot versions and 3 for the two pilot versions, however the 1.25m cockpits both have 3 panes that are just stretched. I think the 1.25m cockpits would look better and be more consistent with the rest of the pack if they followed the pattern of the mk2 cockpits and had two-piece windows for the single pilot variant.

i was trying to think of what was bit off about the mk1 pits and looking again I think that what you said is what it was.

Curiously enough, My original version of the 1.25 short cockpit had two piece windows. Someone suggested I make it three panes instead, an I kind of liked the result so I left it that way. Honestly I'm still not sure which one I like more. I think I could maka a poll on the thread

- - - Updated - - -

Also, here are some early in game tests. Still needs work on the texture, but I think they're coming out nicely. (IAI Lavi and F-86 Sabre in case anyone's wondering)

12107903_10156128901860557_5991648099471257876_n.jpg?oh=60a4eb066bfbf4271bb615d5730346ed&oe=56CEB6F0

12108820_10156128344290557_7360467894762916703_n.jpg?oh=29e3d360be6d990c12bf66989e038913&oe=56CE8D8C

I know the pack is called inline cockpits, but would you consider, at your discretion of course, a mk1 cockpit with a nose? Since 1.05 or1.1 will bring a redesign of the current mk1 cockpit it will no longer properly fill a fighter cockpit role/style. I would love it to have a similar profile to either of the 2 jets I referenced earlier. Just a thought.

Looking really good and isn't it ironic you make something people suggest a change you do and people request it the old way. If you have a pic of the previous version upload it if you can. Either way definitely a good mod addition.

I know the pack is called inline cockpits, but would you consider, at your discretion of course, a mk1 cockpit with a nose? Since 1.05 or1.1 will bring a redesign of the current mk1 cockpit it will no longer properly fill a fighter cockpit role/style. I would love it to have a similar profile to either of the 2 jets I referenced earlier. Just a thought.

Looking really good and isn't it ironic you make something people suggest a change you do and people request it the old way. If you have a pic of the previous version upload it if you can. Either way definitely a good mod addition.

Why are people do hurt about the Lear jet revamp? It's kerbal SPACE program not kerbal top gun program, and you still have the inline cockpit which covers 90 percent of jet fighters that ever existed(a nose cone cockpit wouldn't have room for modern radar and avionics so designs that couldn't make due with the stock inline would be few and far between). Lol but I digress this is what mods are for still did nestor not already say he would make a 0.625-1.25 style cockpit? That'll give you essentially the same profile without violating the scope of the mod.

Why are people do hurt about the Lear jet revamp? It's kerbal SPACE program not kerbal top gun program, and you still have the inline cockpit which covers 90 percent of jet fighters that ever existed(a nose cone cockpit wouldn't have room for modern radar and avionics so designs that couldn't make due with the stock inline would be few and far between). Lol but I digress this is what mods are for still did nestor not already say he would make a 0.625-1.25 style cockpit? That'll give you essentially the same profile without violating the scope of the mod.

I would have to agree. Mainly, though, because I would not see much use in making a nosed cockpit, because there are already good mods with Mk1 fighter cockpits with a nose. Now that being said, my main issue with the new Learjet revamp is that I think the old one looks much more spacey. I do agree with the devs that it looked a little dated when compared to the new models, but probably something a little more sci fi would have been nice

If you get a chance would you put up some more screenshots of the cockpits with a bit better lighting. I think the 3 section glass is starting to grow on me, but I would love to see it with a bit better lighting.

Developments you guys! I'm still going to do some more work on the textures and make the Mk3 inline (yes, I was convinced) and the Mk1 to 0.625

http://i.imgur.com/HvjWwTC.png

Those look really good!

Would you be interested in doing an inline from 1m to .6m? That way you could sneak a nose cone on, but be able to choose which nose cone... or perhaps something even more Kerbal-y. :D

I've also had a longstanding wish for a conical nose that looks like the NCS nose cone, but has a tiny little cargo bay instead of fuel, and a Tiny node inside. You know, for those spare batteries and science kits and such. Too far out of scope, I suppose? Your stuff will be begging for noses! ;)

Edited by Reiver

Those look really good!

Would you be interested in doing an inline from 1m to .6m? That way you could sneak a nose cone on, but be able to choose which nose cone... or perhaps something even more Kerbal-y. :D

I've also had a longstanding wish for a conical nose that looks like the NCS nose cone, but has a tiny little cargo bay instead of fuel, and a Tiny node inside. You know, for those spare batteries and science kits and such. Too far out of scope, I suppose? Your stuff will be begging for noses! ;)

The Mk1 to .6m is actually on the way already! :D Originally I had just planned for the Mk1 and Mk2 combinations, but people suggested the .625 and the Mk3 and I thought they were really good ideas. Right now actually I'm done with all the models except for that one, which I'm going to start making now that I've finished the Mk3 texture

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.