Custom Wings Breaking Upon Take-off

I made a quite large aeroplane. After sorting out the issues I had with the gears, I have run into another, more serious problem. While taking off, the wings, which I made from from the structural parts, break off, even after supporting them with struts. I have no idea how to fix this, thus I came here. F0zHx5w.jpg

Thank you all for the replies. I shall edit the design when I have time.

Edited by Psychotic_blaze

You made the wings from modular wings, not structural parts. That is actually a big difference.

Wings that large may still bow up and down quite a bit. We need to know the actual after action report. Is it a joint failure or a collision with the runway?

Assuming the wings are just buckling under aerodynamic forces (F3 for the after-action report), then I'd suggest using bigger wing pieces. Bigger pieces, like the FAT-455 Aeroplane Main Wing, means fewer joints to buckle.

I'd also check that your ailerons are on the right way - they seem to be pointing "in" rather than "back".

Psychotic_blaze, I fixed your pic link for you. The one you want is Imgur's BBCode link.

Anyway, where are the wings breaking? I would suggest strutting not from one wing piece to the next, but from the fuselage to mid-wing, or some arrangement like that which distributes the stresses more widely.

I concur with many other comments here, I think that fewer, bigger wings will do you better than building out elaborate ones out of several pieces.

Fortunately the post 1.0 lift model is much more forgiving of having less total wing surface area, provided you have enough thrust.

Generally when making big custom wings (which I still do, the FAT-455 looks too big on Mk2 and too small on Mk3.), I use cubic octo strut as points to reinforce the wings (similar to what you've done), however strut the octos straight to the fuselage, then to eachother. When connecting rows of wings I strut the wings directly to one another, and still strut the wings like I normally would. If it still snaps I either reduce the control surfaces or reinforce the wings from the other side as well.

Example with the Albatross.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

The body still bends but the wings no longer look like they are moments from tearing off.

Edited by FungusForge

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.