[PART, 1.0.2] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - Historical thread

r4m0n

Hi... is there a possibility for the landing module to enter some offset from the target? Say 20m beside the target or so? Right now its easy to land right on top of it on planets without atmosphere :)

I plant a flag at the LZ and target that. Some disposable part or tiny rover might be useful for the same at an unmanned location.

I'm on #319, seems MJ still have no idea how to handle the biprop RCS "vernors" turn on RCS balancing and they make jets the size of kerbin, and a heavy lander using them had according to MJ "inf" TWR making it "land" on the mun by time-warping to the surface, then firing up my nukes to slow down from 500m/s+ to 495m/s~ >_> about 490m/s more lithobraking than I'm comfortable with, luckily I had a quicksave and landed manually successfully.

Translatron when asked to do 0 vertical speed just flicked the NERVAs on and off really fast, yeah, PWM of NERVAs has been achieved.

Edited by K3|Chris

Bug Report: (dev version #319) While trying to do a "land at coordinates" on Duna, if the orbit is low (I was at 65km) MechJeb does an initial de-orbit burn, and then turns to the anti-normal (normal-) direction and seems to burn until the ship is out of fuel. This happens even if MechJeb is given a full orbit to prepare for the de-orbit operation.

After raising my orbit to 100km there was no problem.

No crashes or anything. But I have a saved game to recreate if there's some data you need to debug this. The debug output didn't show anything but normal messaging in both cases.

Hi... is there a possibility for the landing module to enter some offset from the target? Say 20m beside the target or so? Right now its easy to land right on top of it on planets without atmosphere :)

Adjust your landing coordinates a couple of seconds to either side. That's all it takes.

Bug Report: (dev version #319) While trying to do a "land at coordinates" on Duna, if the orbit is low (I was at 65km) MechJeb does an initial de-orbit burn, and then turns to the anti-normal (normal-) direction and seems to burn until the ship is out of fuel. This happens even if MechJeb is given a full orbit to prepare for the de-orbit operation.

No crashes or anything. But I have a saved game to recreate if there's some data you need to debug this. The debug output didn't show anything but normal messaging in both cases.

That's been a long time glitch. Usually just reloading will get it to stop being confused about which way the engines should go and how the throttle should be operated - or where possible begin the landing above 100 KM*. It's like a problem with a car that sets no diagnostic codes in the computer memory and always goes away when you take it to a mechanic. Very hard to track down.

*Note that a 100KM altitude isn't possible around Gilly. Just looked for but couldn't find a list of SOI diameters of all the bodies in the system.

*Note that a 100KM altitude isn't possible around Gilly. Just looked for but couldn't find a list of SOI diameters of all the bodies in the system.

http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Gilly

ksp wiki lists it as 126km.

And why would you need mechjeb to land on Gilly of all places??

landing's not the hard part, it's not bouncing off again lol

Tried a circularize @ apo with ap 136, pe 74 [snip]. It creates a perfect maneuver node and removes it when I click execute. Too many mods to list but there couldn't be that many that would cause this behavior.
There are not much code in MJ that would delete a node.

- check the value you use for tolerance (in the node editor)

Yep. Tolerance was set to 15m/s. Reduced it to 1 and it worked. Tested the limits and found it would work @ 4m/s but not 5. Don't know what default setting is. I must have over-typed in that box while setting the other boxes. Hope others find this post useful.

Is there a reason why the manoeuvre planner for interplanetary transfers doesn't have a "bugger the transfer window, I want to go today" option? It would be very useful to me.

Second this. I realize it can be done using the "intercept target at..." option, but that's very counter intuitive and a lot of random number plunking unless you have some separate source for calculating transfers.

Is there a reason why the manoeuvre planner for interplanetary transfers doesn't have a "bugger the transfer window, I want to go today" option? It would be very useful to me.

Agreed, I select a launch window based on TriggerAu's cool ingame planner.

And sometimes an emergency mission has to launch *now* even if it wastes every last bit of carefully collected Karborundum. :wink:

ksp 0.24.2 x32 MJ 319 DEV

everytime i put a Mechjeb part and try to launch this pops up no other errors or crash

[HighLogic]: =========================== Scene Change : From EDITOR to FLIGHT =====================

(Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/d63dfc6385190b60/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 49)

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

at MuMech.MechJebCore.OnDestroy () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename: Line: -1)

[iR GUI] destroy

first i was thinking i edited a part wrong trying to add mechjeb to a probe

but this happens with the stock one too

can anyone assist?

Agreed, I select a launch window based on TriggerAu's cool ingame planner.

And sometimes an emergency mission has to launch *now* even if it wastes every last bit of carefully collected Karborundum. :wink:

There's this. http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/36476-WIN-MAC-KSP-Trajectory-Optimization-Tool-v1-1-6-New-Mac-Version-Available!

That's an "off board" calculating program that works with a plugin to insert data into KSP. It requires installing the Matlab runtime. I haven't used it. Looks complex. I'd much prefer a "go now" option in MechJeb. If you have enough fuel and use more efficient engines...

Will there be a variation of the mechjeb spaceplane autopilot that allows us to set a course to a specific location? (Flies us there, then sets into a holding pattern around the location)

Maybe a version that allows us to determine if the spaceplane autopilot uses the real or sea-level altitude? (That way, if you set an altitude for 2 km, you don't need to worry about running into a mountain when you are flying.)

Wow and I thought I was the only one. I tried several times and every time MJ be like. :huh: And when it finally worked, it landed at the polar opposite of the spot I had picked.

Maybe a version that allows us to determine if the spaceplane autopilot uses the real or sea-level altitude? (That way, if you set an altitude for 2 km, you don't need to worry about running into a mountain when you are flying.)

There's a mod for that. http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/50736-0-24-2-(Jul-19-14)-Automate-Vertical-Velocity-and-Altitude-Control

ksp 0.24.2 x32 MJ 319 DEV

everytime i put a Mechjeb part and try to launch this pops up no other errors or crash

[HighLogic]: =========================== Scene Change : From EDITOR to FLIGHT =====================

(Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/d63dfc6385190b60/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 49)

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

at MuMech.MechJebCore.OnDestroy () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename: Line: -1)

[iR GUI] destroy

first i was thinking i edited a part wrong trying to add mechjeb to a probe

but this happens with the stock one too

can anyone assist?

This message is a small error I have to fix but it should have no impact on the game.

Will there be a variation of the mechjeb spaceplane autopilot that allows us to set a course to a specific location? (Flies us there, then sets into a holding pattern around the location)

Not unless someone submit the code. It's a good idea, but my current priorities is trying to fix some of the most outstanding bugs before .25 hits

There's this. http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/36476-WIN-MAC-KSP-Trajectory-Optimization-Tool-v1-1-6-New-Mac-Version-Available!

That's an "off board" calculating program that works with a plugin to insert data into KSP. It requires installing the Matlab runtime. I haven't used it. Looks complex. I'd much prefer a "go now" option in MechJeb. If you have enough fuel and use more efficient engines...

Seems I wasn't clear enough: I want the "go now" button too because I do the launch window selection myself and don't require MJ selecting one.

Seems I wasn't clear enough: I want the "go now" button too because I do the launch window selection myself and don't require MJ selecting one.

I've also had several occurences of "tell MJ to go to Duna, okay, it's half a year away, time accelerate half a year to the node, reset the manoeuvre 'cos they go screwy if you leave them that long, oh great, apparently the window was yesterday and now the new manoeuvre node is again half a year away". Aaargh.

Basically gave up on using MJ for interplanetary stuff after that.

(note to Sarbian: as always, hugely grateful for your work and I appreciate that you're busy getting ready for .25. I think that the rapid response to my post shows that I'm not alone on this one, though)

7773 Posts and the search function for the forum blows goats. So simple question...

Is there a toolbar button (for the standard toolbar, not the blizzy78 toolbar) for MJ which removes the slide out tab on the right?

7773 Posts and the search function for the forum blows goats. So simple question...

Is there a toolbar button (for the standard toolbar, not the blizzy78 toolbar) for MJ which removes the slide out tab on the right?

As far as I've ever seen, your choices are the slide-out tab or blizzy78 toolbar. Personally, I've been using the slide-out tab long enough that I'm used to it, it doesn't take up that much useful real estate on the screen, and with the stock toolbar icons as big as they are I would probably keep the tab until we get a choice of button sizes.