[PART, 1.0.2] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - Historical thread

r4m0n

no its in sandbox

also when eve i try a intercept to dock in space, it sets the sun as target even though i have a different ship set as the target.

I think that needs screenshots to better demonstrate the problem.

Also, re: launch to rendezvous. F5 to save when you are ready to launch. Launch the ship once with a set of parameters you know will get it to a circular orbit at the altitude the other ship is at (do not set the rendezvous option at this time). Let MJ complete that launch until it has finished circularizing and has disengaged.

Press F9 to restore. MJ has saved information it needs to know about your launch profile. Select the target ship and select launch to rendezvous. do not change any of the launch parameters. Engage autopilot and launch.

The landing AP hates me as well best I can do is 56m from nominated target using the Angara Mod from Spacefactory http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/60354-0-22-x-ANGARA-Pack-1-0 it deployed the chutes ok but failed to deploy the landing gear which seems to be a common problem for me now. I am using the 2.1 release no dev builds.

Now I don't understand anything anymore.

I had two different designs going to Duna. The first (slightly bigger) had all the trouble landing.

Now, the second one... Smack on target. No trouble at all. 8m from target.

Basically, both vessels were similar. A descent stage and an ascent stage.

Only difference: the first had a big engine that was not firing on descent.

So it must have something to do with design.

Yeah there seems to be something off with Duna landings and changing the inclination. Every time I tried to change inclination or MJ tried during a landing it would crash the ship. Just trying to land it, twice it flipped on its side or pointed towards the ground. Simply put I could not use MJ to land on Duna or to change inclination. The transfer to Duna from Kerbin also seemed a bit off with the intercept being very high and in front of Duna forcing me to abandon the attempt quite a few times. In the past I've used MJ to go to Duna and didn't have any issues but it took me a dozen times yesterday. After manually landing I tried the accent autopilot and it went up about 15k pointed to the surface and crashed into it at high speed. The other issue with the landing auto pilot is that it would plot the landing and then reduce orbit to the point that it would crash the ship well before it got to the landing target. I'm not talking missing by a few k of distance. I'm talking other side of the planet surface intercepts. I'm using dev Build #128 (Dec 12, 2013 5:31:21 PM)

Right now I'm going to test a landing on the Mun and Minmus. If I have problems I'll post otherwise I will not.

Update

It may be me but I think there is something off with the inclination change auto pilot. Every time I try it it drives the Pe into the ground. I was trying to do an inclination change while in Kerbin orbit and 4 out of four attempts would have ended in de-orbiting the ship.

One other thing. With a long ship and a low TWR I was not able to get into orbit using MJ. It would get to about 17km and then flatten out for a bit before heading for the ground. I could orbit the ship manually so I know it's not a ship problem. I have no trouble with ships that have a high TWR.

Edited by dr_jt

So I spent my weekend trying to fix the landing AP problem added by the last patch. I found some problem with the new code and some with the old, but I could not make it work properly.

Since .23 is around the corner I reverted the patch so we have something that "work" (notice the quote). This version is still buggy with parachute and may not open them at the right time, but for now this will do.

At one point I had a more or less good version but since a 50m precision seems to be "bad" I'll have to do better later.

With .23 nearby the landing AP will be on standby until further notice. Sorry for that codepoet, your code is great but I found some edge case.

In the mean time when you get a landing AP problem with a stock craft please put the savegame/quicksave somewhere and send it to me. I do most of my test with the stock "Super Heavy Lander" + some parachute, so some new landers that have problem would be nice.

If you don't have a savegame at least post that :

- Body your where landing on

- coordinate

- screenshot of the ship, or TWR+Mass

Edited by sarbian

So I spent my weekend trying to fix the landing AP problem added by the last patch. I found some problem with the new code and some with the old, but I could not make it work properly.

Since .23 is around the corner I reverted the patch so we have something that "work" (notice the quote). This version is still buggy with parachute and may not open them at the right time, but for now this will do.

At one point I had a more or less good version but since a 50m precision seems to be "bad" I'll have to do better later.

With .23 nearby the landing AP will be on standby until further notice. Sorry for that codepoet, your code is great but I found some edge case.

I am sorry that the patch was not working as well as it needs to, and that you have spent time having to play around with it. I wrote the stuff I did for my own use, and offer it to the community without vanity - obviously everyone needs code that they can rely on so there is no need to appologise for rolling it back.

Personally I see coding mods a part of playing the game and this all arose from my own game play.

I will send some email for clarification about what the issues were.

Has anyone else noticed with the latest few dev builds, mech-jeb isn't noticing the correct surface of objects? I was trying to land on the mun earlier, and even though my periapsis was clearly inside the ground, mech-jeb was telling me, my orbit did not land. It seems to have completely screwed up the landing auto-pilot, but its not consistant, I get this result, once every 10 landing attempts?

Any reason why Mj is suddenly darting my craft in random direction after launch? Im using FAR ( if that helps ). The craft can recover, but it causes excess wobble and burns Dv trying to right itself. I know its not colliding with a launch clamp because It doesn't do this with manual flight.

make sure that you are below 100 km when you pick your landing target otherwise it doesn't register the elevation at the point you pick and just goes for sea level.

wow I hope that's wrong because if it's right that screws over RSS.... minimum orbital altitude is just a bit under 150-ish ;.;

Any reason why Mj is suddenly darting my craft in random direction after launch? Im using FAR ( if that helps ). The craft can recover, but it causes excess wobble and burns Dv trying to right itself. I know its not colliding with a launch clamp because It doesn't do this with manual flight.

Need more info or clarification... do you mean it flips? does it happen during your gravity turn? if so you might be starting too late.

wow I hope that's wrong because if it's right that screws over RSS.... minimum orbital altitude is just a bit under 150-ish

I think the atmosphere starts in the neighborhood of 104km in RSS. Still over the 100km limit, but only just. (At least, 104km is where I see some sort of transition that KSP struggles with for a few seconds, and lightweight pods start to exhibit the first whips of atmospheric drag.)

Need more info or clarification... do you mean it flips? does it happen during your gravity turn? if so you might be starting too late.

Sorry, no its just a little kick. Once the launch clamps release Mj for some reason veers off coarse and drifts north about 10 degrees. But once it hits the gravity turn at 5km ( FAR+big, slow rocket ) it rights itself and performs the pitch maneuver. And again this does not occur under manual control.

make sure that you are below 100 km when you pick your landing target otherwise it doesn't register the elevation at the point you pick and just goes for sea level.

It does not change anything for the landing AP since it only care about the latitude/longitude.

Mechjeb for .23 is ready on the dev link.

Thanks Taniwha for the fix.

Bloodyrain2k sent a brand new Rover Autopilot with waypoints and a help windows to use it

For now Mechjeb does not work with the new R.A.P.I.E.R engine or any modded engine that use the new ModuleEnginesFX partmodule. I will work on it but having to support 2 engine partModule is a pain.

Edited by sarbian

Just wanted to post a .23 bug. Back in .22, whenever you had the VAB deltaV window open, the staging interface would do weird things. Now in .23 with mechjeb attached to a spacecraft you cannot manipulate the lower two stages above the "reset" button. I've tried dragging things down there, but they stop or get frozen. Take off mechjeb and the problem disappears.

Sounds like an invisible window bug. Anyone else having this?