[PART, 1.0.2] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - Historical thread

r4m0n

Okay, I have a quick question. The Rendezvous Autopilot- is it broken? Nine times out of ten lately it just sort of wanders around in a constant loop- extending the orbit, circularizing it, descending towards target, circularizing... missing completely, and trying again. To the point where it will run until the ship is completely out of fuel.

Help? X.x

Okay, I have a quick question. The Rendezvous Autopilot- is it broken? Nine times out of ten lately it just sort of wanders around in a constant loop- extending the orbit, circularizing it, descending towards target, circularizing... missing completely, and trying again. To the point where it will run until the ship is completely out of fuel.

Help? X.x

Are you using a large or slow turning ship?

Are you using a large or slow turning ship?

nope. the entire ship was a 2m tank, one PB-Nuk Generator, a single engine for the whole mess, eight RCS ports, one RCS tank, a decoupler, two large docking ports and one Hitchiker. It turned like a freaking dream when the RCS was on.

nope. the entire ship was a 2m tank, one PB-Nuk Generator, a single engine for the whole mess, eight RCS ports, one RCS tank, a decoupler, two large docking ports and one Hitchiker. It turned like a freaking dream when the RCS was on.

As far as I know, the hitchiker doesn't have any torque. So it can't turn at all without RCS. That probably messes things up

Alright, probably a stupid question, but am I missing a version of MechJeb for the 0.22 release that works in career mode?

I have no idea if such a thing exists yet but I made changes to mechjeb part files so that they now work in career too

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vvlezqpjnjraa9q/Command%20fixed.rar

Extract that to gamedata/squad/parts/command

(of course you gotta have mechjeb installed first)

Edited by JamesHalt

Sorry for being a bit dense, im not sure what you mean? Whenever it goes to do the high deorbit burn, nothing happens. Again sorry, im still rather raw with this game :)

Craft in this game use electricity for some functions, if you run out you lose control of the craft.

I have no idea if such a thing exists yet but I made changes to mechjeb part files so that they now work in career too

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vvlezqpjnjraa9q/Command%20fixed.rar

Extract that to gamedata/squad/parts/command

(of course you gotta have mechjeb installed first)

From the first post

The dev builds are being updated regularly and they have already updated mechjeb for .22

That happens to me on occasion (not every time, usually after several launches). If you look at the roll indicator in the lower-left corner before launch and you see the needle is all the way to one of the sides, tap Q or E (the roll buttons) and it will reset to center.

Yep, using it more, it seems the problem comes and goes with no real reasoning. I checked to make sure my issue wasn't that my pod was the wrong way round and I found that MJ should happily launch you from any start position. It does most of the time. Sometimes it acts as though I have force roll selected even though I don't. Seems like a scene loading problem. Or even a save file problem.

I must say I am also not such a fan of the way SmartASS now overrides craft movement instead of it just being put into auto mode like it used to. Is that an artifact of the way the force roll was implemented?

As far as I know, the hitchiker doesn't have any torque. So it can't turn at all without RCS. That probably messes things up

Sorry, left out a part; There was the "Large" Probe core attached to the end part of it. (basically think a tug and a hitchhiker with a port on either side.) So it had some torque.

Can't seem to get the Docking autopilot to work at all even following the steps, trying different designs, etc. I can see it using the RCS thrusters but it does not try to dock at all. Just floats around.

Turn off 'Conserve RCS Fuel'

If you don't see the option then you will have to use the custom window editor to add it to a window.

Someone with the same problem also implicated the Avionics mod which also does some kind of RCS management.

I installed the dev build 84, but I cannot find the mechjeb part in my assembly building. I looked in the techtree if I may need to research the part, but the part does not show up in the techtree nor do I find the tech "automation" that is defined in the part config. :(

I was using the sarbian version in 0.21, and all was working fine. In my test version of 0.22 i am using the dev build of MJ. I am having the same old problem with Docking Autopilot where it thrusts back and forth, burning a LOT of rcs fuel. I was wondering if the updates / changes that were in the sarbian version have been incorporated into this version of MJ? And if not, will they??

Thanks for any information...

I am still having the camrea issue, and have traced it to mecha-jeb with certainty by purging all other mods, and trying.... tried all 3 versions, stable, sarbian, and dev.... nothing.

Going through the history of the Lazor system thread, it seems they had a similar issue caused by the docking cam, is there a way to remove the hull cam component from mechajeb myself and see if that fixes it?

I am still having the camrea issue, and have traced it to mecha-jeb with certainty by purging all other mods, and trying.... tried all 3 versions, stable, sarbian, and dev.... nothing.

Going through the history of the Lazor system thread, it seems they had a similar issue caused by the docking cam, is there a way to remove the hull cam component from mechajeb myself and see if that fixes it?

You're talking about a fork of MechJeb. There's an entirely different thread for that and you should either go there for support or delete that mod entirely and use the download links in the first post of THIS thread for this plugin. It has no camera mod at all.

If anyone is still having issues getting MJ to work with 0.22, download the latest mechjeb2.dll from here, and drop it in "/KerbalSpaceProgram/Plugins".

Then download the fix I made from here, and overwrite any files it asks you to. (Fix just adds the mechjeb module to all vanilla pods)

If you mean the AR.202 module just delete the "MechJeb2_AR202" folder from "/Parts"

Edited by CreepyBumbleBee

The dev builds are being updated regularly and they have already updated mechjeb for .22

For certain values of "updated", yeah, sure. But in reality, Ascent Guidance is borked and MJ has a hard time attaining and maintaining a given attitude.

I am still having the camrea issue, and have traced it to mecha-jeb <clip>

This is MechJeb, short for Mechanical Jebediah, a reference to the 18th century fake chess playing automaton known as the Mechanical Turk. A person would be stuffed into the base of the cabinet and control it via levers to play chess vs another person.

Mecha-Jeb is the 20 foot tall anime robot version of Jebediah Kerman, quite popular on some of the eastern islands of Kerbin. :D

For certain values of "updated", yeah, sure. But in reality, Ascent Guidance is borked and MJ has a hard time attaining and maintaining a given attitude.

I loaded my .21 save into .22 last night, with texture quality set to half (looks pretty horrid but it runs, turning anti-aliasing off did more for it) and had no issues at all with the -83 update of MechJeb doing ascents to orbit, docking, a transfer to Mun and other maneuvers.

Landing guidance is extremely accurate. I wanted to land one rover next to another on Mun but things wiggled just as I clicked and it put the target right on the landed rover. MechJeb landed one right on the other. Fortunately I was able to drive it off but it flipped up on its side. I quickly retracted the solar panels to save them. Backed the first rover out of the way then used RCS to flip the second one upright. No damage to either one.

What it can't handle is a spaceplane. I tried some of the stock ones and attempts to use ascent guidance had them flipping up sideways and doing a 90 degree right turn. Managed to slam straight into the VAB once. Also can't land for crap on the island runway, never lines up on it, just crashes into the island from random angles. Once I got it onto the right path but it came in too low and crashed like it was flown by those Asiana pilots. I didn't try going out a long ways then circling around to give it half a chance at attempting a KSC runway landing.

Aircraft control is a completely different ball of yarn from rocket control. So is rover control. Both are very underdeveloped in MechJeb.

No idea what im doing wrong, but for the past three hours of constant reinstalling game files, messing with a mod manager or even doing it by hand, with any download mechjeb, I can't get it to work with .22, I got random mods for .21 that work, it's only this particular one, hell even at one point it flat out just deleted all the capsules.

I installed the dev build 84, but I cannot find the mechjeb part in my assembly building. I looked in the techtree if I may need to research the part, but the part does not show up in the techtree nor do I find the tech "automation" that is defined in the part config. :(
Seeing the same issue here. As far as I have been able to determine, there is no "automation" node in the tech tree. I could see it being part of either "Large Control" or "Advanced Unmanned Tech" if the devs are looking for somewhere that exists to put it.