[PART, 1.0.2] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - Historical thread

r4m0n

Here's a problem I can reproduce: 200+ part rocket on the pad, switch to target the Mun, hit launch to plane, lift off and break apart/explode on the ascent. If I revert to launch the option to use a target and timed launches vanishes. I have to scene change to VAB or space center then delete the .cfg for that rocket design in the MJ2 folder. Then it works again.

I have a trivial code-change request: can MechJebModuleSpaceplaneGuidance be made 'public'? That would allow RasterPropMonitor to access it and use it as the spaceplace autopilot controller in MechJebModuleSpaceplaneAutopilot.HoldHeadingAndAltitude(). RPM does this with other MJ interfaces so that we don't override the MJ GUI.

Greetings,

This has got to be the most bizarre bug I've seen in a long while. Even though I'm using 2.1.1.168 I've seen this for the past few builds. Maybe starting around 160 or so. I have MJ on a small refueling station with the RCS balancer enabled. When I turned on Smart A.S.S. I got HUGE RCS plumes. I mean freakishly huge.

I turned off the RCS Balancer and the behavior stopped. I turned it back on and it resumed. The funny thing is it didn't seem to be any more powerful than normal RCS as the station didn't go flipping end over end or use any more fuel than normal. What's also odd is the game really slowed down while the RCS thrusters were firing.

This has been happening on just about anything I put RCS on. Rockets on the pad, stations in orbit, satellites, etc. It doesn't happen all of the time either. It's kinda random. If it starts I can focus on something else and come back and it'll generally stop.

I've been trying to find a trigger event but so far the only common thing is MJ. I also tried this on a relatively semi-stock game with only MJ, Hyperedit, Toolbar, and TAC fuel and it would happen. Again, very random and very infrequent.

Anyway, they say a picture is worth a 1000 words so here you go:

screenshot15_zps39649e4e.png

screenshot20_zpseef3ceac.png

In the second picture if you look behind the giant RCS plum you'll see a second set of RCS thrusters firing at their normal size.

Anyway, I thought I'd pass that along.

Edited by TheDude

Is there an online resource on how to tweak the modules? I would like to move the landing assist to an earlier tree unlock.

It's in the Mechjeb part file, though you'll have to use something like Notepad++ to view and save it properly. Just replace the shorthand tech name with an earlier one or just set 'em all to "start" to get it from the bat.

Here's a problem I can reproduce: 200+ part rocket on the pad, switch to target the Mun, hit launch to plane, lift off and break apart/explode on the ascent. If I revert to launch the option to use a target and timed launches vanishes. I have to scene change to VAB or space center then delete the .cfg for that rocket design in the MJ2 folder. Then it works again.

I figured out what was going on today. Because I'm using an RSS mod pack, the ship wobbles enough on the launch pad for KSP to decide it's flying. That's why the timed launch option disappears. I repositioned my clamps to make it more stable it launches fine 9 times out of 10 now.

I have a trivial code-change request: can MechJebModuleSpaceplaneGuidance be made 'public'? That would allow RasterPropMonitor to access it and use it as the spaceplace autopilot controller in MechJebModuleSpaceplaneAutopilot.HoldHeadingAndAltitude(). RPM does this with other MJ interfaces so that we don't override the MJ GUI.

You can get the reference to the module with a mechjeb.GetComputerModules<MechJebModuleSpaceplaneGuidance>()

TheDude : I'll have a look, but the RCS Balancer is my kryptonite :confused:

Ratzap : glad you figured it out, I had not idea :)

I figured out what was going on today. Because I'm using an RSS mod pack, the ship wobbles enough on the launch pad for KSP to decide it's flying. That's why the timed launch option disappears. I repositioned my clamps to make it more stable it launches fine 9 times out of 10 now.

Make clamps from the long structural beams and some struts, they work almost the same (you usually can't timewarp since the craft is swaying) and are guaranteed not to just explode your stuff.

Make clamps from the long structural beams and some struts, they work almost the same (you usually can't timewarp since the craft is swaying) and are guaranteed not to just explode your stuff.

In my experience, most pad explosions are caused by the physics engine giving the rocket a massive jolt as it initializes. Ferram's joint reinforcement mod will apply extra rigidity for the first few frames (just a fraction of a second) the rocket is in the launchpad to mitigate just that.

You know those moments when you discover something kinda obvious but that you hadn't noticed earlier? Then you feel like:

mind-blown.gif

Well, I just discovered where that weird Mechjeb VTOL pod that stares at me came from... the Delta Clipper! :D

dcxa3.jpg

It even has those fins and everything.

Dude please,please make mechjeb usable with no mods like saresly,I'm trying to get a space shuttle into orbit and get a space station in to space with the space shuttle and I can't place the mechjeb pod anywhere.please add that in in the next update,please,please,please.(or if that was added in and I just don't know, if it is, please tell me how)

^ I take it by "no mods" you really mean "no parts"? If so, what problem are you having placing the ar202 part from the control parts? It surface attaches to anything you build. If that still isn't good enough, look through the thread. there is information on how to edit the part.cfg files of your command pods to include mechjeb functionality.

Dude please,please make mechjeb usable with no mods like saresly,I'm trying to get a space shuttle into orbit and get a space station in to space with the space shuttle and I can't place the mechjeb pod anywhere.please add that in in the next update,please,please,please.(or if that was added in and I just don't know, if it is, please tell me how)

Add this to the pod cfg of what you want to add it to.

MODULE

{

name = MechJebCore

}

Or just do this: (Way easier, and doesn't require editing configs)

Download Module Manager 1.5.6, save this as a .cfg and put it in your GameData Folder:

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleCommand],!MODULE[MechJebCore]]
{
MODULE
{
name = MechJebCore
}
}

I'm having an annoying problem and I don't know if it's mechjeb related...

When I load a new craft at the launchpad, with clamps. The winglets on the craft are moving, without sas, or any thing of mechjeb turned on. After turning on sas or smart ass that stops and I launch. When I hit a spot, my camera moves down(or the ship moves up) then I explode.

I load one that I got to mun... and boom but when I launch one without mechjeb, it's fine and I get were I want.

Now: This all started after unlocking unmannedTech so it has to do with Ascent Guidance, Landing Guidance or Spaceplane Guidance. How do I turn one of them off? or move it in the tech so I unlock it later?

I've been having an odd problem with my attitude control, when i'm using the landing or the maneuver planer. it seems to slow down to near nothing after it gets to with in about 5 or 10 degrees of the marker. it doesn't look like the RCS is being used. landings seem to be the same problem if i don't correct my attitude i'll land off target or slam in to the ground at an angle. and when i try to use smart A.S.S. it will ether spin around wildly or get with in a few degrees same as the rest

Seeker89 : MJ does not do anything after launch until you activate something. If the winglet move by themselves then you most likely have an other mod doing it.

zakkpaz : Sorry but I don't understand your problem

You can get the reference to the module with a mechjeb.GetComputerModules<MechJebModuleSpaceplaneGuidance>()

No, I can't. That module is not declared as "public", so RPM can not interact with it. Every other module in MJ that RPM interfaces with is declared public, so it is visible outside of MJ. This one isn't. Hence, the request to add the "public" qualifier to the class, to give it the same visibility as the other guidance modules.

oh :)

ok, I'll fix it tonight and try to do a release without pushing my current uni fished patch

I appreciate it. One other I just found for an RPM feature we're working on: MechJebModuleRendezvousAutopilotWindow :)