[PART, 1.0.2] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - Historical thread

r4m0n

Was this during ascent? In atmosphere? Because it's not possible for MJ2 to make the rocket do ANYTHING during a normal (non-physics / on-rails) warp. Where exactly did this happen and what sort of maneuver?

Edit: Sorry, missed your earlier post. So it was doing a physics warp.... ok.

Right outside of the atmosphere, above 70km, mechjeb ascent makes its final maneuver node for circularization at 100km. This is where it starts turning and triggers warp. It gets to 3x warp and then the craft implodes, still trying to get to the maneuver node. It should be on the maneuver node, stable and un-moving, before triggering warp. You still have some control at 2x, 3x, and 4x warp, but of course that does bad things.

One thing I noticed, watching your video, I'd put more RCS ports on that rocket. I'm thinking it has too much mass for the ports you have. Personally, when I build something like that I'm going to dock, I put a ring of 4 ports near the nose, and 4 near the tail, maybe 4 in the middle too. I find I get much better translation control that way, as I do my own docking. I'd try it and see if that helps MJ get this under control. It could be dancing rings around your docking target because it can't get itself up to speed and slow down fast enough.

Though a smaller ship, I made sure I had enough RCS ports on it and was able to dock fine with #221 build

Yes, didn't help with the docking problem. Large Clamp-o-tron works perfect. Clamp-o-trons will not dock. Can't even get a good alignment...just hit my station's solar panel in an epic fail!

Build #222

The up arrow means I was replying to the post above mine.

Right outside of the atmosphere, above 70km, mechjeb ascent makes its final maneuver node for circularization at 100km. This is where it starts turning and triggers warp. It gets to 3x warp and then the craft implodes, still trying to get to the maneuver node. It should be on the maneuver node, stable and un-moving, before triggering warp. You still have some control at 2x, 3x, and 4x warp, but of course that does bad things.

Have you tried without auto warp on?

I might have a bug here to report, though I don't know if Mechjeb is the course, it just seems most likely considering Mechjeb is the only mod I use that actively takes control of crafts.

Basically I launched a stack of small vessels, and when I detached them from each other, some but not all control inputs would effect all the different crafts. For example if I was controlling vessel one to turn left, every other vessel from the stack would turn left as well. it seems that to be related to the engines somehow. Even after one of the vessels lost its crew (and had no probe control), I was able to control its turning, however I couldn't speed up or down. If this is not Mechjeb, but someone else has had this problem, please let me know what you did to fix it, as its practically impossible to play like this.

Greetings and salutations!

- Concerning the breaking of the dV calculation, I was able to isolate a situation when I can break it all the time. To do so: Take a root part, add a decoupler (any of them, from all mods), a tank and an engine. Then, press the button "staging" enable/disable of your decoupler and you break the dV calculation. Reverse the operation ( re-enable or re-disable )and it stays broken.

- It can also lead to a late firing on the node in flight. As in, the engine are firing when the node is at zero second, and not at half of the burn time before the node is at zero second. But I need to do some more test for me to be sure of this statement.

I hope it helps to underline what's wrong inside the code.

My version of MechJeb is the build 221.

EDIT: I just realize that the staging option is from TweakableEverything... maybe I should post it in the proper threat...

Edited by Benoît

Currently having trouble installing on 0.23.5, not showing up in the new Toolbar. Output log shows this at the end:

MechJeb module MechJebModuleMenu threw an exception in OnDestroy: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

at MuMech.MechJebModuleMenu.OnDestroy () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at MuMech.MechJebCore.OnDestroy () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/d3d49558e4d408f4/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 53)

MechJeb module MechJebModuleMenu threw an exception in OnDestroy: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

(Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/d3d49558e4d408f4/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 53)

Any ideas?

For the usual people who hang around on the thread : No news from me until r4m0n get the time to put new official out. Having 2/3 of the post about a bug that I fixed 2 week ago does not help to have any meaning full exchange.

For the usual people who hang around on the thread : No news from me until r4m0n get the time to put new official out. Having 2/3 of the post about a bug that I fixed 2 week ago does not help to have any meaning full exchange.

Maybe you can ask r4m0n to put it in big bold letters:

If you encounter a bug in MechJeb, please check the dev build and download the latest Toolbar mod before reporting it!

Currently having trouble installing on 0.23.5' date=' not showing up in the new Toolbar. Output log shows this at the end:

Any ideas?

You say it shows that at the end.

What does at the end mean? At the very end of the log? That error is just MechJeb's attempt to cleanup because it is being destroyed. It can't possibly have anything to do why you're not getting a toolbar. In fact it looks like you might have alt-F4'ed. That's the only time I know for sure that MJ would throw that error in OnDestroy()

It's better to put your entire output_log.txt file up for download (dropbox is good) and then put a link for that instead of an excerpt that might not be relevant.

Edit: And as has been stated, make sure you have the latest MJ2 dev version + latest version toolbar.

Edited by Starwaster

Have you tried without auto warp on?

Yes, as said before. By me.

This craft was made in and for 23.5. I lifted several of them plus other craft between 23.5 release and some mechjeb before 211. The lifter stage is completely stock. The only thing that has changed on the craft in the past week is Mechjeb.

Mechjeb 211 was torquing the craft towards the maneuver node when it decided to warp. By turning warp off I can wait two minutes and the craft will not explode before mechjeb carries out the maneuver. This is entirely mechjeb's fault. It's turning while warping.

Non nesting quote chains is probably the most aggravating thing on this forum. /shrug

@Starwasher, in hindsight, my first attempt at diagnosing my own problem was pretty feeble, but that's the only bit that looked out of the ordinary. Best to leave the search for what actually matters to the folks who know what to look for. I've got Toolbar 1.7.1, but I was using the "Release" MJ 2.2 from the original post. I'll give the Dev version a shot and get back to you with the whole output_log.txt if the error continues. Thanks for the push.

I've had situations with some previous builds where MechJeb could control the orientation, but nothing else, on a craft with no command/control.

This is bascially whats happening to me right now

I am wondering if anyone else has had the problem of MechJeb not staging with the new ARM boosters/couplers? Otherwise Mechjeb seems to be working fine for me. A side (and possibly related) note, when building a ship with ARM parts in the VAB, KSP seems to want to keep the lowest part of the stack on the top of the staging order list. Pre-ARM parts continue to appear in the order in which you place them.

MechJeb stages fine with ARM components. I have not seen any of your problems. You've got another mod that's interfering with things and is almost definitely pre-ARM. Or you just haven't updated MechJeb.

MechJeb stages fine with ARM components. I have not seen any of your problems. You've got another mod that's interfering with things and is almost definitely pre-ARM. Or you just haven't updated MechJeb.

I discovered that my problem was fixed by simply changing how I build things in the VAB. I had been in the habit of builing craft from the bottom up. Building from the payload down seems to have completely solved my issue.