[PART, 1.0.2] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - Historical thread

r4m0n

Has anyone had the issue with MJ showing up in Career mode, but not being available in VAB/SPH? I'm sure this has been already asked before (which I've been looking for the solution to). I'm not using MM or anything like that and it does show up as "purchased" in the science screen after I've researched it. I have both MJ AR202 features researched, but not the pod. Much appreciated if someone could point the way!

What version of the Toolbar are you using? If it's anything less than the most recent, you'll have problems.

Right, I'll update, hopefully that works... Thanks.

EDIT: Update works, thanks, I can now use MechJeb!

Edited by Espresso

Has anyone had the issue with MJ showing up in Career mode, but not being available in VAB/SPH? I'm sure this has been already asked before (which I've been looking for the solution to). I'm not using MM or anything like that and it does show up as "purchased" in the science screen after I've researched it. I have both MJ AR202 features researched, but not the pod. Much appreciated if someone could point the way!

Actually, yeah. I'm having that issue lately too. I think it started for me with one or two dev builds ago but I don't know for sure; I've updated several mods recently and can't be certain if it's related to any of them or not. MJ was working fine in the VAB a few days ago and now, I realize, it's not.

Actually, yeah. I'm having that issue lately too. I think it started for me with one or two dev builds ago but I don't know for sure; I've updated several mods recently and can't be certain if it's related to any of them or not. MJ was working fine in the VAB a few days ago and now, I realize, it's not.

Yeah, it works in sandbox, but not in career. I've got no other mods at play, so that narrows it down a bit.

I've sat here for 6 hours to pinpoint this problem I have.

I've found a silly clash of three addons that lower my fps by 20.

It's when you have ActiveTextureManagement, MechJeb and the 000_Toolbar addon installed at the same time.

Take out one of them and my fps goes back to normal.

To experiment, I made a clean install of the game. Then I installed (clean) versions of ATM, MJ and the Toolbar and I was able to recreate the fps loss. If I remove one of those addons and run the game with the other two, the game runs just fine again.

I even tried using older versions of all three addons but no cigar.

I think the problem is that MJ creates a whole lot of icons for the Toolbar based on all your custom windows. It seems to do this way too often. For example if you change the name of one of your custom windows. MJ will create Toolbar icons every time you press a key to enter the new name of your custom window. Leaving you with a lot of nonsense icons with names like "Orbit I", "Orbit In", "Orbit Inf" & "Orbit Info" etc.

I think that every time it does, Active Texture Management goes in and does something that creates cpu spikes because of some "new" button texture being added.

This problem didn't exist back in the day when MJ didn't have any native Toolbar support and we had to use the Optional MechJeb Modules addon. In that addon you had to specifically tell MJ which custom windows that would get corresponding Toolbar buttons.

And before you ask:

- I'm using the latest version of all of the addons I talked about.

- I've experimented with this in a completely clean version of KSP. With completely stock/default addon settings.

- ALL settings files are completely stock and I am able to recreate the fps loss I get in my main game.

I think I have a theory about why MechJeb picks a new transfer to Moho window if you delete and recalculate a few days before the previously picked launch. There must be a "time range" that it searches that is longer than one orbit. If you recalculate, and a better launch window is on the next orbit, then it waits another orbit.

[COMMENT 1] using jenkins build 238 with 0.23.5 career and just wanted to mention that for the last couple builds burns are getting really squirrely at the end. My ships are doing summersalts trying to burn the last couple tenths of dv.

[COMMENT 2] the rendezvous autopilot it trying to get better phasing orbits by lowering my orbits into the atmosphere (below 75km for kerbin). It nearly killed all three of my orange suits before I realized I had become suborbital!

Edited by ctbram

Don't think that's a new problem. Watch the maneuver node pointer- you'll see it moving as the burn nears completion, because you can never be exactly on target. MechJeb will try to follow the pointer, but that tends to be difficult when it's flying all over the place. The problem is amplified if you ship flexes as it turns, since that moves the "control center" and affects the node pointer as well. Also amplified when you're doing things like mid-transfer burns days out from your destination, where tiny differences make a large difference in your arrival. I dealt with it by increasing the tolerance to 0.3 m/s on the Maneuver Planner, which usually lets it complete before spazzing out too badly.

Indeed, it's not new at all and relate to how stock handle nodes.

Smorfty as I said on github dev #239 should fix that. Thanks for the detailed report :)

Don't think that's a new problem. Watch the maneuver node pointer- you'll see it moving as the burn nears completion, because you can never be exactly on target. MechJeb will try to follow the pointer, but that tends to be difficult when it's flying all over the place. The problem is amplified if you ship flexes as it turns, since that moves the "control center" and affects the node pointer as well. Also amplified when you're doing things like mid-transfer burns days out from your destination, where tiny differences make a large difference in your arrival. I dealt with it by increasing the tolerance to 0.3 m/s on the Maneuver Planner, which usually lets it complete before spazzing out too badly.

Yes I agree and understand but it seems to have become amplified since build 236ish.

I also added another comment about some odd rendezvous AP behavior

[Question] I am using mechjeb jenkins 238 and career 0.23.5 and I have always wondered just what rcs balancer does? It has always confused me. When I turn it one it seems to cancel my ability to fire my RCS continuously. I have to keep tapping the keys and I just get little puffs and I eventually just turn it off.

What I would like is the ability to stabilize unbalanced payload by providing a corrective force to prevent tumbling.

Can anyone please explain the proper uses of the RCS balancer and what it's options (over drive, rcs control rotation, advanced, etc.) do?

[Question] Using MJ jenkins 238 and career 0.23.5. I am constantly forgetting to turn off MJ when I dock. So as soon as I undock MJ remembers the last thing that was on and invariably spins the ship all out of control and of course I am five ]'s from getting to the ship that has gone rogue and mayhem ensues!

My question is - Is there a way to tell ALL possible control points to have MJ OFF? Purge all or something so you don't have wild out of control undocks or I have even had instances where one MJ is trying to override others and I have to literally undock my entire ship to find the rogue MJ and then redock everything and remember to turn ALL MJ's off before actually making contact! This is really hard to do and a simple command option to PURGE ALL MJ UNITS setting them all to OFF would be such a useful thing.

[Question] Using MJ jenkins 238 and career 0.23.5. I am constantly forgetting to turn off MJ when I dock. So as soon as I undock MJ remembers the last thing that was on and invariably spins the ship all out of control and of course I am five ]'s from getting to the ship that has gone rogue and mayhem ensues!

My question is - Is there a way to tell ALL possible control points to have MJ OFF? Purge all or something so you don't have wild out of control undocks or I have even had instances where one MJ is trying to override others and I have to literally undock my entire ship to find the rogue MJ and then redock everything and remember to turn ALL MJ's off before actually making contact! This is really hard to do and a simple command option to PURGE ALL MJ UNITS setting them all to OFF would be such a useful thing.

Some time ago there was a discussion about turning off the Smart A.S.S function upon docking, because that's what causes ships to start rotating as soon as they undock, but I can't remember how it ended and I can't seem to be able to find it again. I'm guessing it's harder to fix than it seems.

[COMMENT 2] the rendezvous autopilot it trying to get better phasing orbits by lowering my orbits into the atmosphere (below 75km for kerbin). It nearly killed all three of my orange suits before I realized I had become suborbital!

Thanks, should be fixed in #240.

[Question] I am using mechjeb jenkins 238 and career 0.23.5 and I have always wondered just what rcs balancer does? It has always confused me. When I turn it one it seems to cancel my ability to fire my RCS continuously. I have to keep tapping the keys and I just get little puffs and I eventually just turn it off.

What I would like is the ability to stabilize unbalanced payload by providing a corrective force to prevent tumbling.

Can anyone please explain the proper uses of the RCS balancer and what it's options (over drive, rcs control rotation, advanced, etc.) do?

balances unbalanced RCS placement by throttling RCS units according to how torque they can impart based on distance from CoM.

I've seen that translation issue too, where you only get a burst of RCS by pressing and releasing. I'm wondering though if it might not be visual only because if I enable the item that displays current RCS thrust then I see it displaying thrust even if I dont see the puff. So I'm not sure what's really happening...

Hi everyone,

I'm currently using MechJeb 2.2 and I've ran into a problem, I can only use the Mechjeb mod if i'm using the pod supplied by the mod itself (Mech Jeb Pod Version). If i start to make a ship with another pod, say the MK1-2 Command Pod, The Mechjeb window disappears. I'm not sure if this is what is supposed to happen or if I installed something incorrectly. I'd really appreciate some feedback, Thanks :D

Also, If I've posted to the wrong thread, i'd be grateful for some pointers in the right direction.

Here's something odd.

I was using build 236. Today I see that 240 is released so I download the DLL and replace 236 with it, and I erase the contents of the MechJeb2 folder under plugin data.

When I run KSP and go to VAB there's no MechJeb tab, doesn't show up when I go to launch either. The auto saved ship in VAB is unavailable due to an invalid part.

So I recover that ship and try to launch a Kerbal X stock ship. Now I get no staging stack and hitting spacebar won't release the clamps. There's no crew either. I can right click the engines and activate them, and same for releasing the clamps one at a time. The recover vessel doesn't appear when I move the mouse up there and the only revert flight option is to launch, VAB option isn't there at all - but is for ships I've built.

OK, not good at all. So I change to the build 238 DLL, same problems. Finally I go back to the 236 DLL which was working and uh-oh! Same symptoms. Something else has broken which is preventing MechJeb from being loaded and is also @#%@%#ing with stock ships. Didn't try any stock one other than the Kerbal X so don't know if it affects others.

I'm using this module manager .cfg to add MechJeb, which *was* working just fine. I don't have the MechJeb parts installed, just the DLL.

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleCommand],!MODULE[MechJebCore]]:Final
{
MODULE
{
name = MechJebCore
MechJebLocalSettings {
MechJebModuleCustomWindowEditor { unlockTechs = flightControl }
MechJebModuleSmartASS { unlockTechs = flightControl }
MechJebModuleManeuverPlanner { unlockTechs = advFlightControl }
MechJebModuleNodeEditor { unlockTechs = advFlightControl }
MechJebModuleTranslatron { unlockTechs = advFlightControl }
MechJebModuleWarpHelper { unlockTechs = advFlightControl }
MechJebModuleAttitudeAdjustment { unlockTechs = advFlightControl }
MechJebModuleThrustWindow { unlockTechs = advFlightControl }
MechJebModuleRCSBalancerWindow { unlockTechs = advFlightControl }
MechJebModuleRoverWindow { unlockTechs = fieldScience }
MechJebModuleAscentGuidance { unlockTechs = unmannedTech }
MechJebModuleLandingGuidance { unlockTechs = unmannedTech }
MechJebModuleSpaceplaneGuidance { unlockTechs = unmannedTech }
MechJebModuleDockingGuidance { unlockTechs = advUnmanned }
MechJebModuleRendezvousAutopilotWindow { unlockTechs = advUnmanned }
MechJebModuleRendezvousGuidance { unlockTechs = advUnmanned }
}
}
}

Looks like I'll have to unpack a fresh copy of the latest KSP and move all the mods to it, for the second time. Previous time was when I made a part .cfg edit that should have worked (simply adding one missing line in an IR hinge .cfg) but caused KSP to be unable to load any parts except a few Hooligan Labs ones, and it even deleted all the asteroids due to no potatoroid part. Replacing the part .cfg with a freshly extracted original didn't fix it, nor did extracting all stock KSP files and overwriting. I had to start with a completely clean setup and re-add mods.

KSP .23 also did that "Parts? What parts?" thing when I tried adding the Suspensatron mod, and with some version of TT Multiwheels. In those cases the fix was simply removing the additions KSP had the problem with and it suddenly had parts again. It had also "helpfully" deleted all flights from the saves except for flags, but no biggie because backup copies. ;)

[PROBLEM] using jenkins 239 career 0.23.5 - The latest update seems like the chasing the target node issue is now even worse. Seriously, I have a very small and nimble ship and I end up doing cartwheels at the end of every burn! I have to click the x to stop the burn with 2 or 3 dv left or I end up flipping and in at least three recent burns I got so far off that my burn bar actually started going back up and MJ deorbited me!!!

[PROBLEM 2] - rendezvous AP still tries to kill me by setting optimum phasing orbits that go sub-orbital! I have to keep manually killing the AP. establishing a HIGHER orbit then give control back to MJ.

Hi everyone,

I'm currently using MechJeb 2.2 and I've ran into a problem, I can only use the Mechjeb mod if i'm using the pod supplied by the mod itself (Mech Jeb Pod Version). If i start to make a ship with another pod, say the MK1-2 Command Pod, The Mechjeb window disappears. I'm not sure if this is what is supposed to happen or if I installed something incorrectly. I'd really appreciate some feedback, Thanks :D

Also, If I've posted to the wrong thread, i'd be grateful for some pointers in the right direction.

That's because only the parts supplied with the mod have the necessary configuration to add MJ

other cockpits and control devices do not, unless you use something like ModuleManager and a config that adds the necessary MJ configuration. I would share mine with you that adds sandbox and career mode compatibility to every control device but my computer is dead. Again.

Search a few pages back. Someone posted a suitable config I think.

Edit: Oops look two posts up at what Galane posted. That's what you want.

@Galane, something else must have changed. What version of Module Mnager are you using? It's had a lot of updates this past week and some broke things. 2.0.8 is the latest stable that I know of. 2.1 (or was it 2.0.10) is latest but I didnt get to try it

Edited by Starwaster

Hi everyone,

This is supposed to happen: MJ is packaged as an add-on computer, it isn't automatically added to other probe cores and command pods.

Having said that, quite a few players use config files to add MJ to cores and pods, and some mod parts automatically use MJ if you have it installed.

Using Module Manager 2.0.3.0 which was working with MechJeb build 236 yesterday. The only changes I made today was replacing the MechJeb DLL with build 240 and deleting its automatically created config files - to avoid any issue that might crop up from old data.

I'll try the latest module manager DLL and see what happens.

Edit: With MM 2.1.0 I get a message during startup that it applied 20 patches with 0 errors and Mechjeb tab (build 236) is back but upon attempting to launch a Kerbal X there's still no crew or staging stack so no launch, not even with ascent guidance on. Recover Vessel works. Something I forgot to mention earlier is Blizzy's Toolbar is also not appearing anywhere.

It's not in the persistent file, before updating the MM dll I tried a new game and the problem was still there. (Should try that now but I don't expect it to suddenly be a corrupted persistent file when it wasn't before.)

Something, somewhere got twiddled when I ran KSP with MJ build 240. Since I run with logging off (it impacts performance quite a bit on this PC, even though it's an Athlon 7550 Dual core 2.5 Ghz with 6 gig RAM and a nVidia 9800 GT with a gig, running Win 7 x64) I can't go back in time and see what KSP did to foul its own nest - if it even would have logged what happened.

Know of a good file difference finding program for Windows? If I could compare a fresh unpack of KSP against my current 'working' KSP directory tree I could possibly pin down which file(s) may be affected.

Edited by Galane