[PART, 1.0.2] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - Historical thread

r4m0n

ok I just downloaded this...even though i dont believe in it,:) kind of a purist. but on to the reason im posting this.

is there A way I can get a heavy lift helicopter to stay in one place perfectly so that i can drop a KAS witch /magnet and pic something up while in the air?

every attempt I have tried ether throws me for a loop or dosent keep my craft perfectly still. Is there a way to do this?

yes I tried kill rot/ kill H/S or kill vert. :)

Not sure about the lift itself, but it won't work unless the navball points "up".

I'm thinking an extra probe core at the vertical axis of the rotor (properly oriented and using "control from here") should allow this... but transferring control between "movement" and "hover" modes is going to be a bit squirrelly. Do it slightly wrong and you're going to have Mechjeb trying to snap-pitch your helicopter into the dirt.

ok I just downloaded this...even though i dont believe in it,:) kind of a purist. but on to the reason im posting this.

is there A way I can get a heavy lift helicopter to stay in one place perfectly so that i can drop a KAS witch /magnet and pic something up while in the air?

every attempt I have tried ether throws me for a loop or dosent keep my craft perfectly still. Is there a way to do this?

yes I tried kill rot/ kill H/S or kill vert. :)

There's a mod for that and it even handles undocked mode KAS 'sling loads' under VTOL aircraft.

Not sure about the lift itself, but it won't work unless the navball points "up".

Yup. Got to have all blue on the ball for VTOL flight or if you want your rocket to go straight up instead of trying to fly sideways. ;)

Now if MJ could have a VTOL vertical/forward control transition function to switch which axis it uses... For example it can't fly the stock VTOL demonstrator included with KSP without adding an up pointing control module somewhere but if it could be told to use X or Y for "up" and switch all its control inputs around to match, that would be most nifty.

Sarbian, as I'm building the compatible versions of RPM for mechjeb I've noticed that in some builds MechJebModuleTargetController has a property called TargetOrbit and in others the same property is called Orbit (eg build 249 calls it TargetOrbit, 250 switches to Orbit and 252 switches it back to TargetOrbit). Looking at the diffs on github I can't see those changes, but it would be a very weird bug for VS to get the names wrong as it reads the metadata from the MJ dll. You may want to look into what Jenkins is doing.

Sarbian, as I'm building the compatible versions of RPM for mechjeb I've noticed that in some builds MechJebModuleTargetController has a property called TargetOrbit and in others the same property is called Orbit (eg build 249 calls it TargetOrbit, 250 switches to Orbit and 252 switches it back to TargetOrbit). Looking at the diffs on github I can't see those changes, but it would be a very weird bug for VS to get the names wrong as it reads the metadata from the MJ dll. You may want to look into what Jenkins is doing.

I think builds #250 and #251 were built from the master branch because Sarbian accidentally pushed some changes to the master branch instead of the dev branch. The master branch doesn't yet know that MechJebModuleTargetController.Orbit has been renamed to TargetOrbit. In the future it will always be called TargetOrbit.

@Virtualgenius

I could, but I don't use scansat so I don't know how it's supposed to behave, so won't know if I accidentally break it. That's the biggest reason I'm only doing the recompiles for mechjeb, I do a quick flight to make sure the build still works.

Compiling is pretty easy if you're on windows (it might also be on Linux or MacOS, but I haven't done it so I don't know). Get the RPM source code (make sure it's not the latest devbuild, but the official 0.16 release), overwrite the one source file with the one I have in the src directory of my zip files (otherwise you'll get build errors about a missing Orbit property), load up RasterPropMonitor.sln into VS 2013, fix up the references so they point at where you have KSP installed and build away.

Edited by OrbitalDebris

Hello folks,

there is a slight chance you already know what I'm up to. If not, I'm building a cockpit including controls for MechJeb. But, I'm not a programmer, so I would appreciate help on the software side. For starters I tried to determine wether mj was present or not. For that I wrote

Type type = Type.GetType(MuMech.MechJebCore);
if (type != null){do something}

and I receive a compiler error saying MuMech.MechJebCore is of type "type" and invalid in that context. Thought I was smart. Who tells me why I'm not?

Or is there somebody in this thread willing to answer more stupid questions or even do a full cooperation on the mechjeb part of my project? I don't dare to ask sarbian...

Type type = Type.GetType(typeof(MuMech.MechJebCore));

But, well, doing it like that will break when MJ is not here. I don't mind a few question but you seems to start from... far. IF I were you I'd have a look at Raster Prop Monitor and how they interface with MJ ( https://github.com/Mihara/RasterPropMonitor/tree/master/MechJebRPM ).

How do I add Mechjeb functionality to a pod? :)

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleCommand]]
{

%MODULE[MechJebCore]

{

MechJebLocalSettings {

MechJebModuleCustomWindowEditor { unlockTechs = flightControl }

MechJebModuleSmartASS { unlockTechs = flightControl }

MechJebModuleManeuverPlanner { unlockTechs = advFlightControl }

MechJebModuleNodeEditor { unlockTechs = advFlightControl }

MechJebModuleTranslatron { unlockTechs = advFlightControl }

MechJebModuleWarpHelper { unlockTechs = advFlightControl }

MechJebModuleAttitudeAdjustment { unlockTechs = advFlightControl }

MechJebModuleThrustWindow { unlockTechs = advFlightControl }

MechJebModuleRCSBalancerWindow { unlockTechs = advFlightControl }

MechJebModuleRoverWindow { unlockTechs = fieldScience }

MechJebModuleAscentGuidance { unlockTechs = unmannedTech }

MechJebModuleLandingGuidance { unlockTechs = unmannedTech }

MechJebModuleSpaceplaneGuidance { unlockTechs = unmannedTech }

MechJebModuleDockingGuidance { unlockTechs = advUnmanned }

MechJebModuleRendezvousAutopilotWindow { unlockTechs = advUnmanned }

MechJebModuleRendezvousGuidance { unlockTechs = advUnmanned }

}

}

}

is what I use. There's various others littered throughout the thread. EDIT: although mine adds it to probes as well, you can always limit it to ones that have say, crew capacity or add it to things that have command module and monopropellant or whatever.. like I said, various others littered through this thread and also on the Module Manager thread, which you'll need for this to work.

[

is what I use. There's various others littered throughout the thread. EDIT: although mine adds it to probes as well, you can always limit it to ones that have say, crew capacity or add it to things that have command module and monopropellant or whatever.. like I said, various others littered through this thread and also on the Module Manager thread, which you'll need for this to work.

Wow. That's way more complicated than what I've been using for a few months (which I also nicked off this thread a long time ago).

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleCommand],!MODULE[MechJebCore]]
{
MODULE
{
name = MechJebCore
}
}

As I said in Raster Prop thread no needs to use ObsessedWithKSP build for RPM integration. We just changed the build system for MJ and starting from dev #255 the dev builds should all works with the current RPM again.

Thanks to OrbitalDebris for doing his best to keep up with our endless dev commit :D