[PART, 1.0.2] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - Historical thread

r4m0n

I play "the dumb game" in KSP, but I'm having trouble doing this with MJ2.

Especially things like landing on the Mun.

In MJ1 I used to go up to an orbit around Kerbal. Then use TRANS to go to the Mun, near the Mun CIRC and then LAND.

But I'm having trouble achieving this in MJ2, I can't find the TRANS, but I think I might need to use Manouver Nodes?

What is the simplest dummy-proof way to land on the Mun from Kerbal Orbit, something as easy as the TRANS-CIRC-LAND I used?

I play "the dumb game" in KSP, but I'm having trouble doing this with MJ2.

Especially things like landing on the Mun.

In MJ1 I used to go up to an orbit around Kerbal. Then use TRANS to go to the Mun, near the Mun CIRC and then LAND.

But I'm having trouble achieving this in MJ2, I can't find the TRANS, but I think I might need to use Manouver Nodes?

What is the simplest dummy-proof way to land on the Mun from Kerbal Orbit, something as easy as the TRANS-CIRC-LAND I used?

Once in orbit around Kerbin:

1) Go to map view, and select the Mun as a target.

2) Go to MJ Manoeuver Planner and select Hohmann Transfer to Targer and click Create and Execute Node.

3) After the burn, go to MJ Warp and select SOI and WARP

4) Once in the Mun's SOI, go to Manoeuver Planner and select Change Periapsis, enter your altitude and click Create and Execute Node.

5) After the burn, in to Manoeuver Planner and select Circularize, specify at Periapsis and click Create and Execute Node.

6) To land, go to Landing Guidance, set your coordinates and Auto Land.

You can avoid step 4 (and save fuel) if you edit the Manoeuver Node before burning in Step 2, but you wanted foolproof. Ideally, the Hohmann Transfer should have settings for a target Periapsis and whether you want a prograde or retrograde orbit at the target.

Edited by Nibb31

2) Go to MJ Manoeuver Planner and select Hohmann Transfer to Targer and click Create and Execute Node.

4) Once in the Mun's SOI, go to Manoeuver Planner and select Change Periapsis, enter your altitude and click Create and Execute Node.

5) After the burn, in to Manoeuver Planner and select Circularize, specify at Periapsis and click Create and Execute Node.

You can avoid step 4 (and save fuel) if you edit the Manoeuver Node before burning in Step 2, but you wanted foolproof. Ideally, the Hohmann Transfer should have settings for a target Periapsis and whether you want a prograde or retrograde orbit at the target.

you know ive watched a few tutorials on how to use mechjeb bc it was my first experience with it, and still had to figure a few things out. You just explained alot in that little summary.

Hi, i cannot run this mode in 0.20 :/

I put MechJeb2.dll to Plugins folder and MechJeb2_AR202 to Parts (like so far) and it doesn't work. How to install latest version? Pls help..

Hi, i cannot run this mode in 0.20 :/

I put MechJeb2.dll to Plugins folder and MechJeb2_AR202 to Parts (like so far) and it doesn't work. How to install latest version? Pls help..

Put the MechJeb2 folder in the GameData folder. :)

Still nothing :/ I have to put it in Squad folder or just in GameData?

Put whole Mechjeb2 folder into gamedata, so inside mechjeb folder will be folder PARTS, plugin...

I did it. After unpack I put whole folder MechJeb2 into GameData (there is a Squad folder and MechJeb2). I have a MechJeb AR202 case in game, but ther's no control panel after launch.

Thanks for the explanation! :)

the MJ 1.9.8 parts have some error on the graphics,

and now I only use MJ2

will the final release of MJ2 have updates on those parts? then I wll keep the MJ1 files

If no, I have to pull of all MJ1 parts from my ships

Just swapped from 1.9.8 to 2.0 today. AWESOME utilities now, just f/n awesome! Would love to see an improvement to the circlization node planner, it allows for entering the Peri and Apo values, but you can never execute it due to your current altitudes. Would be useful it if made modes for each move else just remove the option from the menu to do both in one command.

Just swapped from 1.9.8 to 2.0 today. AWESOME utilities now, just f/n awesome! Would love to see an improvement to the circlization node planner, it allows for entering the Peri and Apo values, but you can never execute it due to your current altitudes. Would be useful it if made modes for each move else just remove the option from the menu to do both in one command.

The maneuver planner only plans one burn at a time. If your orbit never goes between the desired periapsis and the desired apoapsis, it's physically impossible for a single burn to make the adjustment. That said, it is a bug that the maneuver planner can't handle hyperbolic orbits; you have to be at least captured by the object you're orbiting for it to work. If that's not your problem--if, for instance, you're in an orbit with 100k apoapsis and 90k periapsis and you want to be in one with 20k apoapsis and 10k periapsis--you need to plot two maneuvers. (I'd change your periapsis to 10k at apoapsis, then change your apoapsis to 20k at periapsis. I'm not sure if this is more or less efficient than any of the three other ways you could do it, but it's the one that's most intuitive.)

I know you can do some things to hyperbolic orbits. I recently put a mapsat into orbit about a planet, adjusting the inclination while coming in, still hyberbolic, before circularizing at periapsis (I think I adjusted that while incoming too).

Edited by Gaius

Yeah, the issue is that, in a hyperbolic orbit, apoapsis is reported as some huge negative number, and the maneuver planner therefore thinks the orbit therefore goes between (say) 10k and -4M and never reaches 100k. At least, that's my understanding of the problem.

Oh, right, for those maneuvers where you enter an altitude (rather than just "do at periapsis"), yeah, it'll say your orbit doesn't reach that altitude, even though it does. I've seen that... just assumed those features didn't work, I didn't realize it was because I was on a hyperbolic trajectory.