[PART, 1.0.2] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - Historical thread

r4m0n

1) It wasn't the latest yesterday when I was testing this.

2) Read again, the Mun isn't in the way... it intersects with the Mun /after/ hitting Minmus SOI.

I read that your getting a Mun encounter when your not wanting to....i.e. the Mun is in the way. I agree its a pain in the rump, I have had it happen to me a couple times.

But it still stands that a little extra effort and planning on the pilots part makes up for a lot of the shortcomings MJ2 has.

Yeah - even the to orbit autopilot will screw up on some launches, if there is not enough SAS torque the gravity turn doesn't turn far enough to the horizontal. It will start burning below the horizon to compensate and before you know it you have an apoapsis of 80km and a periapsis of 30km and you are coming to the periapsis first.

I read that your getting a Mun encounter when your not wanting to....i.e. the Mun is in the way. I agree its a pain in the rump, I have had it happen to me a couple times.

But it still stands that a little extra effort and planning on the pilots part makes up for a lot of the shortcomings MJ2 has.

Reread again. I am getting a Mun encounter /after/ the Minmus encounter... It isn't keeping me from getting to Minmus at all, it isn't "in the way"... it is however using the wrong body to calculate some things.

Is it just me or has the rendezvous auto pilot got problems with close approach to planets? It seems to lose any form of lock and wobbles all over the nav ball. The only way to stop this is to disable the pilot, delete the nodes get closer to the target and try again. Rinse wash and repeat. I have succeeded in a few missions(see sig) but it can be frustrating.

Is it just me or has the rendezvous auto pilot got problems with close approach to planets? It seems to lose any form of lock and wobbles all over the nav ball. The only way to stop this is to disable the pilot, delete the nodes get closer to the target and try again. Rinse wash and repeat. I have succeeded in a few missions(see sig) but it can be frustrating.

I suspect some of this has to do with the precision at those kinds of distances. When the burn required is <.1dV it can have a bit of an issue determining exactly where to burn, at least that seems to be my experience. Same thing with relatively small changes at far distances... so if you want to change (for example) where your "orbit" intersects with the ground by 1km from 1Mnm away, the change will be <.1dv and it can get a bit confused as to which direction to burn.

I have a rather weird problem. I have a space plane that its best cruising altitude is 27,000 m the problem is it runs out of intake air 1000m higher, mechjeb 2.0.8 keeps running it up to high seeming to get into an uncontrolled fluctuation that eventually leads to a stall and crash. It is over steering up and down but if I control it by hand it is very forgiving and quick to respond any ideas?

Random thing I have found useful the last week or so as I have added a bunch of Mods, I use a bash script (needs awk, grep and ModuleManger mod (http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/31342-0-20-ModuleManager-1-3-for-all-your-stock-modding-needs) that goes through my Parts and GameData directories and creates a cfg file that adds the MechJeb module to every command module. [needs ModuleManager.dll to parse the cfg file]

I just run it after every mod I install and boom, instance MechJeb

http://pastebin.com/kEeGErYe

I figured someone might find it useful. It runs fine in cygwin for you windows folks. I have a similar one for TacFuelBalancer and one that makes all my fuel tanks modular. :)

I really love the 1.9.8 version so I wanted to try the 2.0.8.0 version but I'm at a loss to how to install it. It has no readme file.

I searched the web and a lot of clueless people got it working somehow.

I haven't removed the old parts or the old dll should I?

First I tried dropping the Mechjeb2 folder into the GameData folder as one post said. That didn't work. Next I tried extracting the Parts into the Parts folder and the Plugins into the Plugins folder.

Still shows me the old Mechjeb. Next I removed the old version and replaced it with the new version and it shows me nothing now.

I put back the old version. The only parts I got with the new version is MechJeb2_AR202

Sorry I tried reading back but this is 200 pages, and the manual wiki says nothing.

I downloaded the new version from the link on the first page in this forum.

It looks neat if someone would please help.

I GOT IT!!!!

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/31353-MechJeb-2-not-working?highlight=install+mechjeb2

This post tells all.

Edited by Gary_P

It seems to be working fine but it let my engines overheat. I'm sure this is a setting somewhere. You can use both the old and the new to get your older ships back to earth.

Thanks for a really nice MOD.

I really love the 1.9.8 version so I wanted to try the 2.0.8.0 version but I'm at a loss to how to install it. It has no readme file.

I searched the web and a lot of clueless people got it working somehow.

I haven't removed the old parts or the old dll should I?

First I tried dropping the Mechjeb2 folder into the GameData folder as one post said. That didn't work. Next I tried extracting the Parts into the Parts folder and the Plugins into the Plugins folder.

Still shows me the old Mechjeb. Next I removed the old version and replaced it with the new version and it shows me nothing now.

I put back the old version. The only parts I got with the new version is MechJeb2_AR202

Sorry I tried reading back but this is 200 pages, and the manual wiki says nothing.

I downloaded the new version from the link on the first page in this forum.

It looks neat if someone would please help.

I GOT IT!!!!

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/31353-MechJeb-2-not-working?highlight=install+mechjeb2

This post tells all.

Yes I read that, I really wish they would update the old mech jeb parts, at least the command pods one at least, I love the EYE ball probe body.

Please Mechjeb devs, update the older MJ1 parts, alot of people like to use them

Edited by agentexeider

It takes less than 5 minutes to do that yourself.

This problem is more complicated then your thinki

the problem I'm having is that the textures are messed up or the game doesn't treat them as existing objects. The Radial mechjeb's mesh is all screwed up and is a cylinder, I've seen this before with another mod when .20 first came out, had something to do with the .daes but I never figured out how to get it to work right, so I just waited for the mod developer to do it.

jCp09si.png

Parts in BLUE can be picked up again after letting go, things will attach to them.

Parts in RED can NOT be picked up again, nothing will attach and the editer treats them as if they don't exist.

Parts in Yellow also have the problems of RED parts with the addition of having texture and/or Mesh problems.

and lastly NONE of the parts even the working Blues can be used as a primary node, MEANING that the EYE Pod has to be attached in addition to another part like a stock probe body.

-Æ

Edited by agentexeider

@agentexeider, I found the same thing. I too love the eyeball.

I'm learning to create parts, and the details on these parts are good. You can have both versions. I'm playing this morning, but you don't get the new OS, just the old one on the old parts.

It's because something with the modeling and textures used don't work since 0.20, seems KSP doesn't like the old .DAE format anymore. Older packs such as NovaPunch that use the .DAE format, which still haven't been updated, work for the most part, but have odd lighting issues.

Just add the mechjeb line to any existing pod. It's really no big deal.

That's not the problem, it's the models themselves that are incompatible. I tried to convert the old 1.9.8 MJ pods over to use the 2.0.x pre-release code, and while it does technically 'work' as a new MechJeb pod, there are the texturing and attachment issues that are noted above in that picture.

i have the demo version of ksp and tried downloading the mechjeb to help orbit my first spacecraft..

i keep getting the following error :

craft loading error

craft mechjeb not loaded because of following missing parts

mumech.mechjeb.pod2.

multi.mechjeb.pod.tank.

multi.mechjeb.pod.engine.

multi.mechjeb.pod.leg.

nulti.mechjeb.pod.lockdown.

i appreciate the help.. many thanks..

i have the demo version of ksp and tried downloading the mechjeb to help orbit my first spacecraft..

i keep getting the following error :

craft loading error

craft mechjeb not loaded because of following missing parts

mumech.mechjeb.pod2.

multi.mechjeb.pod.tank.

multi.mechjeb.pod.engine.

multi.mechjeb.pod.leg.

nulti.mechjeb.pod.lockdown.

i appreciate the help.. many thanks..

don't think you can run mods on demo version....I could be wrong, but I remember reading that someplace.

Seems I resolved my problem with the lander autopilot. Seems like my rocket hadn't enough thrust to land on duna. Tried to land with the same craft but with stronger engines and the lander autopilot hasn't got any problems this time.

Is there any colision between Mechjeb and following mods? : KAS kerbal atachment system, AIES, Firespitter, B9 Aerospace, Kethane, ISA MapSat, Rubberband, Chatterer, or Aviation lights?

I was using mechjeb with most of theese bfore with no problems. But lately Mechjeb behaves strange. The ascent guidance works ok untill cirkularization. Mechjeb controlls the wessel all the way up, then warps to apoapsis, and then does nothing. Same goes for all the space features, like randevouse autopilot, maneuver node autopilot, Smart ass. If i plan maneuver trough mech jeb and hit create and execute, it sets the node, but thats all. if i point the ship to right directon manually mechjeb will fire main engine, but allways owershoots, and i have to constantly correct its course manualy because mechjeb refuses to steer the blasted thing.

Same goes for Smartass. You can push the prograde, retrograde or whatewer button you want all you want, but it does nothing.

In krbin atmosphere mechjeb works fine. but as soon as i go above 70km it just stop working. Sometimes i can get him to work if i reload quick save few times, and some times it works ok all the mision.

Last ship i had problems with was just simple rocket build with stock parts, mechjeb, aviation lights and B9 Aerospace parts, and i vanted to dock it with another ship that was pushet up with mechjeb without issues even if it was much more complcated design, but this second simplier ship i wasnt able to even get to circular orbit as mechjeb was refusing to steer it, and i really suck in keeping the nose pinted right way manually.

Never had theese issues before. Actually i hadnt theese issues till yesterday.

A small feature suggestion for the landing assistant: An option to set a minimum distance from the wanted landing site.

Why?

Well, it's too darn accurate, that's why!

It frequently lands within 0.1 m of the intended target. That's nice if you want to land close enough to dock with the target, but, if you, for example, want to build a Mün base, you don't want to stack the landers that carries the different parts.

Likewise, if you target KSC, chances are that you will collide with the debris on the launch pad.

A minimum distance would fix this, so that you land at the target, but not closer that the minimum distance you set.

Also, for landing at KSC, perhaps it would make more sense to use the airfield as target instead of the launch pad.

I thought you could use both until you take your old version off your old rockets by bringing them home but it seems if you are using the new version 2 and you dock, it reverts to the older version until (I hope) undocking.

Interesting.