Harrier Jet replica for 1.0.4

Hello, here is a proper replica for you. The famous Harrier Jump Jet! Someone seems to make a new version of this every update so here is my one considering the engine nerfs in 1.0.3 probably grounded all the old versions that were created.

XGEFtiX.jpg

VPOvtlI.jpg

19.8 tons. 85 parts. I had to use 4 turbojet engines as basic jets won't cut it anymore.

I6BxEee.jpg

1S5Efrw.jpg

Hpqdahx.jpg

9S3UZsw.jpg

Hot key 1 toggles rear engines. Hot key 2 toggles VTOL engines. Hotkey 9 toggles ladder. Hotkey 0 toggles cockpit lights.

9FfbROT.jpg

Control is very good and the jet has good range. You can add fuel to the side pods if you want to go further but it will obviously affect VTOL performance. Works great with BD armory.

ICEooQs.jpg

RC437cf.jpg

I've worked hard to try and get both the look and performance as best as I could. The biggest issues I faced were the CoM of the engines parts being in funny places, (like the complete opposite to older versions of ksp), and the tail fins having to much lift/drag. The only thing I'm not happy with is yawing creates a bit of roll in the opposite direction but again, that's due to the tail fin. It's not a big problem though.

pPkHhdE.jpg

So, if there are any VTOL aficionados out there give it a try. I would appreciate your thoughts.

Download here!

ya, the ones underneath, you have them angled. I meant you'd safe some efficiency if they were parallel. like this they are slightly fighting each other.

Oh I see, the rear jets. Sadly I had to angle them like that. They needed to be angled out so the engine exhaust cleared the tail fuselage and they needed to be angled down so they were in line with the centre of mass. The centre of mass is quite high due to the VTOL jets. I could have put them as you said but it would have messed up the look or broken the flight characteristics.

I see, thanks. I bet it still has plenty of thrust! I will give it a spin as soon as I get the chance.

sorry about the"underneath" confusion... they're all underneath the plane, kinda :sticktongue:

now I get the terminology

I wonder if the new smaller jets will be more suitable for this when 1.0.5 drops? Anyhoos... Downloaded and will take her for a spin. And to be honest, I had expected there to be a stock hinge mechanism... :D

Haha, you can attach engines to a stock hinge mechanism but you wouldn't be able to control the throttle, unless you put a probe core on it.

The new smaller engines sound exciting but I suspect they will be a bit weak. However, being smaller I could make a nice cluster design that would be quite powerful!

Wow. Looks very nice...

I hate to toot my own horn but here's the one I made a bit ago. I think yours suits the kerbal world better, it's probably a bit more practicle. But mine was a 1:1 IRL scale, so it's a bit smaller than yours I think.

a6e281_8f60542225fc45f7a6c450c75739c4d3.png_650

Happy Flying

YargJay9991

Wow. Looks very nice...

I hate to toot my own horn but here's the one I made a bit ago. I think yours suits the kerbal world better, it's probably a bit more practicle. But mine was a 1:1 IRL scale, so it's a bit smaller than yours I think.

http://static.wixstatic.com/media/a6e281_8f60542225fc45f7a6c450c75739c4d3.png_650

Happy Flying

YargJay9991

Hey no problem! I know there's a lot of Harrier replicas floating around as it is a popular VTOL design so it is good to see some others.

- - - Updated - - -

The Basic Jets have better low speed and low altitude thrust than the turboramjets, don't be fooled by the max specs, they only happen for the turbo ramjets at higher altitudes and speed. I tested them both in my ProjectX VTOL SSTO.

I did try basic jets for the rear jets but I wasn't happy with their performance. I might give them another try though as they are easier to hide.

Hey no problem! I know there's a lot of Harrier replicas floating around as it is a popular VTOL design so it is good to see some others.

- - - Updated - - -

I did try basic jets for the rear jets but I wasn't happy with their performance. I might give them another try though as they are easier to hide.

For forward thrust keep the Turboramjets, but for VTOL lift use the basic jets.

Yeh no. Since the basic jets got nerfed they aren't a practical choice for VTOL thrusters.

Imagine how great this will be when the new 0.625m jets come out though, great TWR and they'll be able to do the authentic harrier 4-thrusters look.

The key word is practical. Any VTOL spaceplane is pretty absurd, but you're lugging nearly 3 tonnes of deadweight around just for the luxury of using Wheesleys instead of Whiplashes. Madness!

Imagine how great this will be when the new 0.625m jets come out though, great TWR and they'll be able to do the authentic harrier 4-thrusters look.

I am also looking forward to these parts.

They work for me http://imgur.com/a/O5gaUany way nice harrier.

I didn't say Wheesleys weren't possible, I said they weren't practical. You have a lovely toy there, but it's not a practical craft with any in-game utility, except maybe occasional local ferrying.

Test this: build a Wheesley-lifted VTOL with the speed and range to reach either pole inside half an hour of flying time, then swap out the Wheesleys for Whiplash engines to equivalent thrust. I promise you'll get better performance.

The key word is practical. Any VTOL spaceplane is pretty absurd, but you're lugging nearly 3 tonnes of deadweight around just for the luxury of using Wheesleys instead of Whiplashes. Madness!

I am also looking forward to these parts.

I didn't say Wheesleys weren't possible, I said they weren't practical. You have a lovely toy there, but it's not a practical craft with any in-game utility, except maybe occasional local ferrying.

Test this: build a Wheesley-lifted VTOL with the speed and range to reach either pole inside half an hour of flying time, then swap out the Wheesleys for Whiplash engines to equivalent thrust. I promise you'll get better performance.

Actually mine can reach either pole in half an hour, in fact it's faster than whiplashes because of the rapiers, though that has nothing to do with it's VTOL ability. I have a version that can do a tourist run to LKO, any land spot on the planet, or drop a small satellite so it is practical in a way. It would probably have slightly better performance with whiplashes (I have tried both but only the wheasleys fit in the bays without clipping, so they do provide some utility, about as much as KSP can be said to provide any utility).

Edited by selfish_meme

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.